Chanel quality advice?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Nordstrom Spring Sale is now live! Serious savings on customer favorites - up to 40% off with free shipping and free returns. Shop the sale!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Hello! I have been wanting a Chanel boy bag for ages now, however, I keep reading on here about quality issues. Do these seem to be rare "bad eggs" or are the quality issues getting worse and more frequent? I've recently seen the YSL College Monogramme and it's caught my eye. (I know I'm in the Chanel forum so there might be a bit of bias :P haha) Do you think YSL quality is currently better than Chanel? I want a new bag and I've seen a lot of posts talking about looking into Chanel resale because of the better quality. What do you think? Thanks in advance!

(YSL pic from the YSL website, the Chanel pic from a google image search)

Attached Files:

2. I think Chanel is better quality.

3. Hi, If price is not an issue go for Chanel.

4. I think Chanel is still better in terms of quality (even with the reports of bad eggs here and there).

Saint Laurent leather just seems so thin and un-plush to me. I have a chevron flap "woc" from YSL and its' held up well and all and I do like it.. but honestly, the inside of the flap (the thing that the leather is covering) feels like stiff cardboard. Lol. I can't explain well.. It just "feels" like it won't last decades.. I bought that bag back when I couldn't afford a Chanel WOC. (I told myself, hey the YSL is more than half the price and is bigger than a WOC!). But even when choosing and buying it, I knew that it felt "lesser" in quality than the Chanel.

I have a Chanel double flap and the flap feels so solid and good. Leather feels thicker, everything just feels so luxurious.

Those are just my 2 cents.

EDIT: I read your post again and noticed you started with "I have been wanting a Chanel boy bag for ages now"... I think that's a BIG sign you should go for Chanel. If you don't, you will still want it down the line!

celine666666 likes this.
  5. There is always going to be a bad bag egg here or there, but Chanel does
    stand out & does have better resale value than YSL, if that should be a concern
    down the road.

6. Thank you all so much!!! I wanted to make sure that the Chanel will be worth the near twice as expensive price tag as the YSL and you all have convinced me!

7. Chanel is Chanel.

8. Based on my experience the quality of the handbags of Chanel really depends on the batch. Even for a specific batch not all the items are flawless.

If you were to point that out to the SA they would probably deny it or justify the flaw. The fact is is that it is handmade so nothing is ever gonna be perfect most of the time.

I am also assuming too that the quality also might depend on the artisan themselves.

9. That's a very good point! I didn't think about that. Thank you!

10. This is my problem with the boy bag. The leather on the inside of the flap seems very flimsy and it feels like cardboard is underneath. (maybe newer batches are more solid in construction)