Chanel Purchasing Question

mj67812

Jun 26, 2020
Hi,

I was in the Vancouver Chanel boutique last week and I saw a red camellia zipped coin purse (i apologize if that’s not the correct name) and it was the only one the store had but the zipper was not zipping properly - is there a protocol for this? I really wanted to purchase it and maybe send the zipper for repair but the SA wanted to sell it to me for full price which I think is strange as it literally would not zip open. I’ve never purchased from Chanel before and I know other places (like LV) would not even offer a damaged product to a customer. Let me know what you think

Hi,

I was in the Vancouver Chanel boutique last week and I saw a red camellia zipped coin purse (i apologize if that’s not the correct name) and it was the only one the store had but the zipper was not zipping properly - is there a protocol for this? I really wanted to purchase it and maybe send the zipper for repair but the SA wanted to sell it to me for full price which I think is strange as it literally would not zip open. I’ve never purchased from Chanel before and I know other places (like LV) would not even offer a damaged product to a customer. Let me know what you think
Hi I don’t think the SA “wanted” to sell it to you full price per se. I think the SA has no choice because, as far as I know, Chanel doesn’t do discounts for defective items... it’s really up to you if you want to buy it. Personally I wouldn’t buy a defective item.

Well, she told me Chanel doesn’t do that and that they don’t look for items and whatever they have in store is what’s available. Is this true?
No that’s utter rubbish. I’m always asking my boutique to locate where has a particular item and I buy from another stocked boutique. I’m in the UK but can’t see why it would be any different elsewhere.

Reactions: handbagcrunch
No that’s utter rubbish. I’m always asking my boutique to locate where has a particular item and I buy from another stocked boutique. I’m in the UK but can’t see why it would be any different elsewhere.

This is really disappointing. I’ve been wanting to buy an SLG from chanel as my first ever piece for a long time and every single time I’ve gone in they have ignored me until I literally have to ask multiple times for help - the other time I was in the store, I was asking questions about the caviar vs lambskin and the SA actually sounded annoyed! I’m not sure why this is but it almost makes me not want to purchase anything from Chanel. Maybe it’s just the vancouver boutique.

I’m
This is really disappointing. I’ve been wanting to buy an SLG from chanel as my first ever piece for a long time and every single time I’ve gone in they have ignored me until I literally have to ask multiple times for help - the other time I was in the store, I was asking questions about the caviar vs lambskin and the SA actually sounded annoyed! I’m not sure why this is but it almost makes me not want to purchase anything from Chanel. Maybe it’s just the vancouver boutique.
I’m sorry you’ve had this experience but it is the same the world over unfortunately. I’ve heard stories like this about certain boutiques in London. Do you have another boutique to try? Perhaps explain it’s a special purchase and see if you can find an SA you connect with. Don’t settle for a sub standard piece.

That is absolutely not true. If my SA doesn't have it in store she will see if she can order it for me. If she can’t she will check to see how many are left in the company and try to track one down for me. Sorry you ran across someone like that. It makes me mad for you! Find someone else to the help you so that you can get the item you truly desire. Good luck!

Well, she told me Chanel doesn’t do that and that they don’t look for items and whatever they have in store is what’s available. Is this true?
This is true for Canada, sadly.

Everyone else who is responding from outside of Canada, yes I know in the US / UK they can do that, but in Canada they won't do that for you. If you want that item from other boutiques, you need to call the other boutiques to ask for it.

That is absolutely not true. If my SA doesn't have it in store she will see if she can order it for me. If she can’t she will check to see how many are left in the company and try to track one down for me. Sorry you ran across someone like that. It makes me mad for you! Find someone else to the help you so that you can get the item you truly desire. Good luck!

It is different in Canada. Canadian boutiques will not look in their system for stock available outside of that particular boutique so if you want it, you have to call the other boutiques yourself. There are only a handful of them in Canada, like under 6 or 7 or something, so it won't take you long to call all of them.

Last edited:
Sadly the Vancouver boutique is very well known for having bad SAs. I'm in Vancouver and own several Chanel items, but I've only purchased one or two from the Vancouver boutique. None of my bags were purchased here; that's how bad the service is.

It's completely normal practice here for the SAs to not acknowledge you, sadly. You need to specifically ask someone for help, and they will just show you what is available and there's no opportunity to ask for other stock, especially for SLGs, as what is shown on the tray is usually what is available in the store.

The Calgary boutique has much better services, if I recall correctly. You'd have to order over the phone and they can ship it to you. I think the shipping isn't free but don't quote me on that.

I completely understand you when you say it makes you not want to buy from Chanel. I try not to deal with the Vancouver boutique, and if I want to buy something, I either go through my personal shopper or I try to find from elsewhere. I used to try to ask the Vancouver store, but 9/10 times they don't have it and they won't try to help you find it, so I don't even bother.

Keep in mind that there are a LOT of very wealthy people in Vancouver, those who will buy a TON of stuff without even looking, and there aren't that many Chanel boutiques in Canada, so there's almost no competition for these SAs. They have zero incentive to help you.

It is different in Canada. Canadian boutiques will not look in their system for stock available outside of that particular boutique so if you want it, you have to call the other boutiques yourself. There are only a handful of them in Canada, like under 6 or 7 or something, so it won't take you long to call all of them.

I hate that then for those in Canada. Why can’t/won’t Chanel offer a consistent experience for all their clients? It’s a shame.

I’m from Canada too and they don’t do it as far as I know. They did it once for me but it was like 5 yrs ago and even told me they don’t usually do it. You have to call yourself to find the item you wanted. Hth

I hate that then for those in Canada. Why can’t/won’t Chanel offer a consistent experience for all their clients? It’s a shame.
No, I mentioned in a post above that we have a lot of very wealthy people and not that many Chanel boutiques so there's very little competition for SAs. They make their commissions even without trying.

Do you buy any chance have an SA in vancouver? And you’re right, the times I’ve been inside, I’ve seen people spending ridiculous amounts of money lol. In contrast, the other luxury boutiques are pretty bad too. I actually had an SA at LV tell me NOT to buy a zippy coin purse I was looking at. I was a little shocked lol. I will say I have had good experiences at Gucci and I’m usually treated nicely. As well as at Nordstrom.
The chanel boutique is an issue though because i do eventually want to buy a chanel SLG and obviously travel to the US isn’t an option right now. Well thank you for listening to my mini rant haha. Disappointing.