Chanel price increase - Crazy or not

Price increase

• Crazy

Votes: 702 88.7%
  • I will keep purchasing

Votes: 89 11.3%

• Total voters
I looked into buying a classic flap back in 2008 when the british pound had fallen and it was cheaper in the UK than France. It was a bit more than 2000 Euros. I should have...So now you´re telling me that same classic flap is 5700 Euros, for a lesser quality and made I don´t know where and how?????

I looked into buying a classic flap back in 2008 when the british pound had fallen and it was cheaper in the UK than France. It was a bit more than 2000 Euros. I should have...So now you´re telling me that same classic flap is 5700 Euros, for a lesser quality and made I don´t know where and how?????
Basically, yes!

Reactions: keodi
I’m surprised at how quickly the new prices feel “normal” now. All the resellers (independent resellers on Instagram as well as bigger companies like Fashionphile) immediately increased prices. Not only that, the items do seem to sell out quickly.

As others in this thread have already mentioned, the price increase may be a non-issue for those who have the means but does exclude many others (including myself) now.

Chanel obviously has done this several times now — see short term outrage at price increases before customers just get used to it and accept them.

I’m surprised at how quickly the new prices feel “normal” now. All the resellers (independent resellers on Instagram as well as bigger companies like Fashionphile) immediately increased prices. Not only that, the items do seem to sell out quickly.

As others in this thread have already mentioned, the price increase may be a non-issue for those who have the means but does exclude many others (including myself) now.

Chanel obviously has done this several times now — see short term outrage at price increases before customers just get used to it and accept them.
I guess thats what makes them a good “investment.” And buyers see that trend, so they’ll keep buying. I was done with buying retail and thought I could just pivot to buying vintage but even vintage prices have gone up astronomically.

Reactions: keodi
I guess thats what makes them a good “investment.” And buyers see that trend, so they’ll keep buying. I was done with buying retail and thought I could just pivot to buying vintage but even vintage prices have gone up astronomically.

Agreed! I have some vintage bags I thought I overpaid for but now they’re a “deal” by today’s standards.

Reactions: pinkrose398
I just saw a Vintage square mini in caviar listed for US$3800 I bought mine brand new for $3100 (No tax) a few years ago.
I bought mine BN from the boutique in 2016 for USD2330 (equivalent) and I thought that was hefty for a small bag! So I could never be able to stomach the new price nowadays!!!

I said “crazy”, because it is. But I know I’ll still shop for things here and there. Last week I bought a really cute wallet with a removable insert for around $1,200. My phone fits in it so I can use it as a clutch. I feel like it was a good buy. But I don’t see myself buying any more jumbos or even m/l bags. I doubt I’ll buy second hand because I hate to spend almost retail for a used bag. I did recently buy a Hermes evelyne, but I agree that H and C are such a different look that someone would not just totally switch over to shopping H.

Reactions: Sunshine888
Me too. I’m not comfortable For the time being buying luxury items or things that are unnecessary.
I agree ladies. Over 800,000 US women dropped out of the labor force due to the Pandemic. Many struggle to afford basic necessities for their families so a Chanel bag could not be furthest from their minds. For the time being I will donate to a worthy cause.

Fully agree at how easily these insane prices get normalized. I don't know how US$6-9k seem normal now for a bag that used to be US$2k mere years ago. (Several years ago, sure, but within the same generation!!)

Fully agree at how easily these insane prices get normalized. I don't know how US$6-9k seem normal now for a bag that used to be US$2k mere years ago. (Several years ago, sure, but within the same generation!!)

I know right! My mum bought a classic medium flap for around $1200 in the 90s, which would be equivalent to $2400 today to account for inflation. Not only has the quality significantly decreased, but Chanel is now selling the same purse for $6500. It's not worth it for me anymore :tdown:.