Chanel preloved caviar maxi flap - edges worn smooth - should I keep it??

LVinFL

Aug 17, 2015
Good evening! I purchased a preloved caviar maxi single flap that arrived this week. She's beautiful and I love her but,.... There's a medium level perfume odor and it looks like the caviar leather has worn smooth on the edges at the top of the flap.
Is it normal for the edges of the flap to smooth out with wear? The bag is a 2011 - so it's not that old. Should the caviar wear that quickly? Although, I presume if carried daily that's probably not unusual.
I'm struggling with weather or not I should return the bag. While I certainly don't have plans to ever sell it, I'm concerned that the smell of perfume combined with the already worn edges would result in my not being able to recoup my cost.

On the upside, the other preloved bag that I purchased that arrived in the same box is way more perfect than I even expected! :smile:

Thank you for your insight and help with my dilemma!

i buy a lot of vintage and pre-loved and sometimes they are in not-so-great condition. i generally ask myself: 1) will i have to invest in this bag again fairly soon b/c of repairs 2) is the bag find-able again on the pre-loved market 3) can i use this bag tomorrow for work/school/etc? If the bag isn't immediately useful, that means it has issues that are gonna cost time and/or money, and unless it's worth it for you to invest further time and care into it, it's probably best to return. imo.

i buy a lot of vintage and pre-loved and sometimes they are in not-so-great condition. i generally ask myself: 1) will i have to invest in this bag again fairly soon b/c of repairs 2) is the bag find-able again on the pre-loved market 3) can i use this bag tomorrow for work/school/etc? If the bag isn't immediately useful, that means it has issues that are gonna cost time and/or money, and unless it's worth it for you to invest further time and care into it, it's probably best to return. imo.

Thank you for your input! The bag is actually in great condition except for the perfume smell and the smoothed edging on both sides of the top the flap. It doesn't need any repairs and it is certainly ready to be carried today. I feel like I got it for a fair price - not great, but fair - and an Internet search for the same color/hardware/etc doesn't produce any results so I don't think I can immediately replace it with the same bag. I've also searched for the answer to whether or not caviar leather wears on the edges easily over a bit of time and can't find an answer to that. I have other caviar leather bags, but honestly don't carry them enough to have caused any wear at all so I'm unfamiliar.

I would consider how much you paid versus how severe the smoothing is. I don't own caviar, but it's the leather of choice for all my girlfriends. Bags that get heavy (daily) use do show smoothing of the leather, so I don't think yours is defective or unusual. Caviar is extremely durable but not indestructible.

I would consider how much you paid versus how severe the smoothing is. I don't own caviar, but it's the leather of choice for all my girlfriends. Bags that get heavy (daily) use do show smoothing of the leather, so I don't think yours is defective or unusual. Caviar is extremely durable but not indestructible.
Thank you so much for your reply! I contacted a professional with detailed pictures who suggested I return the bag. I'm happy with my decision as I know the excessive smoothing would have tormented me. :smile:

Thank you so much for your reply! I contacted a professional with detailed pictures who suggested I return the bag. I'm happy with my decision as I know the excessive smoothing would have tormented me. :smile:
I'm glad you returned it. I loooooove buying preloved bags but my personal rule is to only buy bags that are new / like new or that can be transformed into looking new from a spa visit. The worn edges would have driven me crazy after a while - especially since that isn't a type of wear i'vr ever gotten after using my bags.

Please share pics of your other preloved. baby that you kept. :smile:

I'm glad you returned it. I loooooove buying preloved bags but my personal rule is to only buy bags that are new / like new or that can be transformed into looking new from a spa visit. The worn edges would have driven me crazy after a while - especially since that isn't a type of wear i'vr ever gotten after using my bags.

Please share pics of your other preloved. baby that you kept. :smile: