Chanel Patent

fieryfashionist

aka Minal :)
O.G.
Dec 7, 2006
The city that never sleeps!
I think patent is very durable. In most ways, I think it's just as durable as caviar. I would just be careful with light colored patent leather, which I do not think is as durable, because it's prone to color transfer (sadly, once that happens, it's permanent).

However, I do think textured patent flaps (distressed patent calf/lamb/goatskin) are more durable than smooth patent flaps. IMO, it's like comparing a smooth finish to a distressed one and I always imagine that the distressed one is less likely to show wear.

bdrmflr

fashion addiction
O.G.
Aug 14, 2009
NYC
I've seen so many vintage patent Chanels in better shape then their lambskin and caviar counterparts. With puffy quilts and no deterioration in leather. I think I might get some patent for the very reason of it's durability.

chloebagfreak

Need Sunny Days
O.G.
Jul 4, 2007
Gorgeous California!
Wow, I'm glad to hear this! I was worrying that my new patent would be delicate. It does get smudges, but they seem to wipe off.
I love the distressed patent, saw one the other day at Nordstrom, a biege/brown medium flap.

Jaded81

back on TPF!
O.G.
May 27, 2007
I should think so. Though I would be a little concerned about cracking issues and fingerprints

MIffy27

2 many Chanel bags!!
O.G.
Jun 24, 2007
Chanel Land
Chanel patent, very durable. Colour transfer and the leather becoming a bit sticky in time are the only problem.

bfali

O.G.
Oct 24, 2008
I think they are both around the same as far as durability...and they can just be wiped down with a wet cloth.

Jun 14, 2008
Hi mojo,
For avoiding stickness, the bag needs to be stored in a low humidity area. If stickiness appears, I heard you can wipe off the bag with diluted vinegar, though I have never tried it myself. Apparently that was the advise given by Barabara at LMB. You can search on tPF about it, if you would like more info on it. I am getting a vintage patent flap, and if the patent leather has stickiness to it, I would try this method!