Chanel Patent Bags?

Sylly

Apr 18, 2018
I have heard mixed reviews over the years about patent bag; some say they were a disaster, some say they are great.

Could those of you with experience with Chanel patent chime in with your opinion and experiences?

I have done searches on this forum, but the information is sporadic, i.e. people discussing that they bought a patent bag, but not many details.
If there is a place to find more info, please let me know.

Thanks so much!

I owned a black shimmer patent SF Jumbo. I never had any issues with it but, then black patent is the safest.

I did get some very mild rubbing which made those areas a little less shiny. But, again, the spots were tiny and only visible when I was up close and actively looking for them.

I would stay away from light colored patent - particularly white & cream - because they will yellow over time.

Reactions: Sylly and JenJBS
No more Chanel patent leather bags for me, well...except for an all black patent leather jumbo with black hardware.
I have an ivory patent leather jumbo and it has turned yellow.
Fingerprint smudges would be more apparent on black patent leather. Some aren’t bothered with them and some are.

I think the wear depends a lot on the color of the bag. Patent bags can be a nightmare if the color is a lighter color because of color transfer. Once a lighter bag gets color transferred onto it, it's pretty much impossible to get it out. Patent is prone to color transfer. This isn't an issue with black though, so darker patent bags can be very worry-free.

I have a blue diamond shine tote that’s 12-13 years old and it’s held up great. The caviar leather is coated so the texture underneath the shininess hides any finger prints and since it’s a darker color, no apparent color transfer.

Reactions: JenJBS and Sylly
Hi there! The problem with Patent is that it can eventually get sticky over time regardless of how you store it. I have a few patent bags, some of which are just fine, but others are slightly sticky. My SA and I spoke about it and she said it is a common problem with Patent. I would not add another to my collection.

Hi there! The problem with Patent is that it can eventually get sticky over time regardless of how you store it. I have a few patent bags, some of which are just fine, but others are slightly sticky. My SA and I spoke about it and she said it is a common problem with Patent. I would not add another to my collection.

This was my exact sentiment. I had two patent bags and they got sold! But on the other hand, maybe one patent bag for rain. Dark color only!

Reactions: Sylly
I love patent and own 3 patent Chanel bags. I’ve worn them often and they still look great :heart: I do think it’s best to buy colors that are not too light and to store them away from sunlight. I also use a patent mousse every few months.
Any chance you can share the patent mousse you use? What does it do?

Reactions: akkrn