Chanel or no Chanel - is the quality on any new bag worth the price?

katie09

O.G.
Apr 7, 2009
I have been planing to buy a black medium classic flap with ghw for some time now.
I have read extensively on the Chanel Forum. I always thought I would get a lambskin bag.

But reading about the poor quality on the new bags really discourages me. This will be my most expensive bag to date and I really want one that will last me a lifetime if I take great care of it.

All of you with troubles with your new classic flaps - (i.e. straps falling apart and stitches coming loose etc.) - does this only happen to the lambskin bags or does it happen to the caviar bags as well?

Will a caviar bag be a better "investment" today or is it the same poor quality on all the bags?

Please give me some advice.

TIA

The problems that you mentioned also happens to caviar flaps as well. If you are concerned about the quality of lambskin bags nowadays, I suggest that you purchase a vintage flap.

all of my Chanels are in SUPERB condition.. but they are older bags.. I think I bought my last bag 3-4 years ago or so... love to look and admire and all that.. that's why I come here... but with all the quality issues, I've been very gun shy about making any new purchases.

hiya, my black maxi caviar had a strap that fell apart after very few wears.

the vintage ones are better made but yet I keep looking at the new ones coming out....

My classic flap is from the mid 90's and I bought it used, it has no quality issues. But I have also bought brand new bags and not had any quality issues either!
I guess it's the luck of the draw.
I don't buy older bags for better quality, I do it for better price!

I agree the new bags do show a decline in quality so I would go for something vintage. The older lambskin bags are excellent quality! I have seen many vintage lambskin bags that look like new!

Good luck with your decision!

Why not just go on www.fashionphile.com and look for a pre-owned bag? I recently bought a gorgeous vintage, black, caviar totebag that's in mint condition and for less than $1300.

Many women have stopped me on the street, and even sale staff at other designer boutiques, and commented on how beautiful it is. One salesperson, who commented about my bag was one who worked at a Chanel boutique, almost across the street from where I had recently bought the bag.

And most of the comments have been from women in my age-range,40s to 50s. So, they really have known Chanel products over the decades.

My bag was made in the mid 90s. I loved the 90s bags.

I'm one to search out Chanel handbags from the 80s and 90s, as I bought my first Chanel in the 80s at the rue Cambon boutique in Paris, and that lambskin bag was of top quality. I kept it for at least a decade and then sold it to someone for nearly double, as the price of Chanel only goes up.

I personally haven't been impressed with anything, handbag wise, that Chanel has put out since the 80s and 90s.

While I have touted quality issues on later C' purses, if you have your heart set on a new lamb, I urge you to look at the purse IRL. I have seen the black classics with the flat hardware and quilting the same as vintage one. That said, I've seen flaps made with the rounded hardware and the quilting not done to the specs of vintage. You won't have the benefit of sitting a vintage one next to the new one to see straight away the differences. In short, the way light reflects off the quilting is the indicator. Is the middle of the diamond flattened (and I'm not talking about a not well kept vintage where all the quilting is deflated) but that the light reflected back is from a larger area. The older ones, the quilting begins to ascend gradually from the stitch to the center of the diamond and then immediately descends gradually back down to the stitch. The light reflects off a much smaller area, the apex of the diamond. It's quite obvious once one knows what to look for. I can see it in photographs so it's that noticeable.

That said, if you want new, then there's nothing anyone can say other than hold up your pony a second. Keep in mind the price increases. My 90's black lamb medium new was around $1250. They're close to $3K now. If you are patient, take your time looking at pre-loved ones, you can find one in very good condition for a lot less money. Black is always available (unless sold out) so finding a black classic flap is not going to require looking under every rock and bush.

Hope this helps.

Thank so much for your opinions.
I have seriously considered buying a preowned bag, and have followed several auctions on ebay, even made a few bids.
But paying 1500-2000 USD for a 10-15 years old bag is a lot. Especially since I have to pay 25 % extra in VAT and customs to get the bag to my country.
Then we are talking almost the same price as for a new one, that's why I thought it was better to buy a new one.
But the decline in quality may make it worthwhile to get a preowned after all?

I find it really hard to make a decision ;)

Its a hard decision to make but I guess it depends on what you're after. Unfortunetly there is no in store comparison when it comes to vintage vs. new but many members will prefer vintage over new just because of the QC issues. Maybe you can go with a new one first and then look into vintage if you consider another Chanel purchase at a later date.

how do i super inspect a bag before i buy it?

Basically you look the bag up and down VERY THOROUGLY for any flaws such as scratches, scuffs, loose threads, or glued pieces on the strap, etc. I usually do this with all my purchases...SA's that do not know you well may get annoyed but why spend so much on a bag only to find a flaw a week later :P

HAHAHAH ITA girl! I'm totally anal about my flaps too! hehe

Basically you look the bag up and down VERY THOROUGLY for any flaws such as scratches, scuffs, loose threads, or glued pieces on the strap, etc. I usually do this with all my purchases...SA's that do not know you well may get annoyed but why spend so much on a bag only to find a flaw a week later :P

If something is glued should i ask for another flap?