Chanel on sale- Peggy from Nordstrom List.

I can relate to both sides of the issue. If I get on the preferred customer list, I want first crack. If I don't get on the preferred customer list, I want access to information.

The problem really belongs to the Chanel counter manager - how can she or he (in this case we know it's she) keep her sales high and offer her preferred customers some sort of exclusitivity? Nordstrom definitely keeps a preferred list (three levels of exclusivity) and one of the perks is getting "presale" privileges.

I don't know what the right answer is but I do know that certain coveted bags are reserved for preferred customers even before they hit the sale floor...

Yup, Ann, you're absolutely right! I am a level 2 exclusive/preferred customer.

Okay, then let's assume the email is not only for preferred customers. Another isssue is the sheer volume of calls and emails the store receives when sale information is posted. Think about it. If emails were only being forwarded to friends, family members or fellow purse lovers not on the internet, the volume would be far less than posting the information/photos on a purse forum website where members descend upon the store like vultures. The sheer volume of calls (from the operators who answer the phones to the s/a's who assist customers) can be overwhelming. The post about contacting Peggy to receive a copy of the spring lookbooks yeilded over 50 emails to her inbox, and the number may have doubled if other members didn't offer to help disseminate them. I know for a fact she was not expecting that type of volume and was concerned about being able to fulfill the requests in addition to servicing the regular in-store customers.

Furthermore, I remember one particular day I called an s/a at NM that everyone recommends and raves about and she darn near bit my head off when I asked about a particular sale bag I saw posted on the forum. She immediately caught her tone and apologized, stating she had been receiving calls all day and the impact was taking a toll.

I don't expect many of you to see the flip side since it's all about scoring the coveted bag, and I can't be the only person who feels this way.

Again, it's Nordstrom's decision as to how they wish to proceed. They are definitely are a more customer oriented versus sales oriented company and perhaps are trying to find that perfect balance between keeping/recruiting loyal customers and fostering a happy sales staff.

Roey, no offense but, what is it to you? If Peggy doesn't verbally express any displeasure to TPFers contacting her and is making a good amount of commission because of the purchases, what does it matter to you? Maybe we should email Peggy to let her know that you have made us aware that we are burdening her with sales? Maybe she would recommend one of her co-workers who would not mind the increased business...

If the SA's don't want business then they shouldn't send out mass emails to people. CLEARLY it is an easy way to disseminate information quickly, to a lot of people.

Peggy didn't seem "concerned" at all, about anything, when I called her yesterday about items in her email.

I'm sure these SA's know ALL ABOUT tpf and are using it to help their sales.

I guess they have a decision to make. . . either stop sending e-mails to everyone thats asks or keep sending them and suck it up.
They explicitly say on their e-mails to pass it along.
If they don't mean that, they need to change it.
The Lookbook thing annoys me too. . . don't e-mail it to people if it'll get you in trouble!

CYA.

I guess they have a decision to make. . . either stop sending e-mails to everyone thats asks or keep sending them and suck it up.
They explicitly say on their e-mails to pass it along.
If they don't mean that, they need to change it.
The Lookbook thing annoys me too. . . don't e-mail it to people if it'll get you in trouble!

CYA.

ITA with everything you've posted.:tup:

Hey, so I thought of a possible solution (not to the exclusivity thing, but the call volume issue):

Maybe immediately after a person calls and buys a bag that has been listed as available, he or she can post "got it" on the original thread, then people reading it will know that it has been taken and won't call and ask the SA for that bag.

This only deals w/ one aspect of the concerns, but it maybe would help? :smile:

Forwarding emails is a lot different than posting on a public website where the sheer volume of interest increases. I don't think it's the sharing of emails from one account to the next that is causing problems; once the info hits a public PURSE website, the sheer volume of emails increases tenfold. Perhaps the solution is to state "not for internet use" or some such thing.

I agree they shouldn't email the lookbooks at all even though I love to see them. Despte the policy, the lookbooks will still end up here every season by someone who isn't aware of the policy and have to be deleted.

Roey, no offense but, what is it to you? If Peggy doesn't verbally express any displeasure to TPFers contacting her and is making a good amount of commission because of the purchases, what does it matter to you? Maybe we should email Peggy to let her know that you have made us aware that we are burdening her with sales? Maybe she would recommend one of her co-workers who would not mind the increased business...

Tsk, I never said we were burdening her did I?; I simply stated she was surprised/wasn't expecting the volume of emails received for the lookbooks. Most of Nordstrom's s/a's have no idea how massive the Purse Forum is, having never visited. What's it to me? She's my s/a and I felt bad that she felt overwhelmed (human compassion and all that). I offered to help, she thanked me and said she'd let me know if she need assistance.

Sorry Roey, but Peggy just put me on her list. She answered with a pleasant email taht said, "Certainly, you are added."

It's called SALES for a reason. I don't know any salesperson who will turn away a sale regardless of the sheer volume. They can always ask another rep to help out and split the commission if they a so burdened.

Everybody should have the opportunity to get first dibs on a bag. It's up to us to form our relationships with the SA's out there. If the SA has a caste system that is their prerogative. More power to them if they are doing that well.

Let's get off of this subject as it has no benefit to our forum. M

Sorry Roey, but Peggy just put me on her list. She answered with a pleasant email taht said, "Certainly, you are added."

It's called SALES for a reason. I don't know any salesperson who will turn away a sale regardless of the sheer volume. They can always ask another rep to help out and split the commission if they a so burdened.

Everybody should have the opportunity to get first dibs on a bag. It's up to us to form our relationships with the SA's out there. If the SA has a caste system that is their prerogative. More power to them if they are doing that well.

Let's get off of this subject as it has no benefit to our forum. M

I agree.:flowers:

What's the problem with lookbooks? Especially since Chanel doesn't have a website that lists all the items available for that season.

Again it just helps out the people who don't have a large dept store near them.

Gosh, If I worked in retail I would constantly email whats available. I would guess a majority of their sales come from the people on this website.

You know, I used to work at Nordstrom and the people in handbags at my store LOVED the purse forum. They thought it was the best thing since.. oh, purses! :biggrin: I had SAs tell me how happy they were when their info was posted up here because it gave them a chance to meet so many different customers, not to mention SELL more. Which is the main prerogative of a Nordstrom SA- contrary to popular opinion, it is not always about the customer. Especially since their sales have been dropping (this is intel from corporate) and they have been honing their sales strategies to try to counter this economic trend.

Overwhelming or not, I have no doubt that the SAs appreciate what we do here. It would be simply baffling to think that they would pass on the potential business they could get via being posted about on tPF because they felt "overwhelmed".

Yeah, maybe some people just want "first crack" at the bags and have "sour grapes" because others got there first?!

I was forwarded this email from another tpf'er and called Peggy immediately on it. There was nothing that said we had to "wait" for the preferred customers to respond first. Sheesh.

I'm on Peggy's email list and received the photos and information yesterday. I wanted the gold 2.55 but someone beat me to it! While it is disappointing, it is the challenge of scoring the wanted item that makes it worthwhile. Oh well, I guess if I really want something, I had better be immediate in my decision-making. I tend, however to dwell and just lost a lambskin classic flap today because I hesitated. She who hesitates is lost, or loses her gold 2.55!!!