Chanel News from Fashion Week Daily: 2 New Stores, etc.

Chi town Chanel

Meow!
O.G.
Dec 18, 2007
the Mothership
Chanel Surfing
French fashion house plans major coast-to-coast additions
Wednesday, April 16, 2008

(NEW YORK) This May, Chanel is opening its second Los Angeles outpost on trendy North Robertson Boulevard. Located adjacent to the famed Ivy restaurant, the new 5,395-square-foot, Peter Marino-designed store marks the birth of the company's new design concept.

While the flagship on North Rodeo Drive carries the full range of Chanel ready-to-wear, fine jewelry, shoes, and fragrance and beauty, this new boutique will stock targeted, constantly updated merchandise that reflects the gallery-like space. The store includes a 1,000-square-foot courtyard and 625-square-foot terrace. The façade boasts a retractable 20 ft. wide glass door that raises to reveal a dramatic space with 15-foot ceilings and floor-to-ceiling windows (think Prada's nearby Epicenter store). Continuing the brand's longstanding support of the arts, artist Robert Greene created two works in oil on vellum collaged on aluminum panel.

Peter Philips, Chanel Makeup's new global creative director, marked the grand opening by designing four limited-edition nail colors. Priced at $25 each, the collection of graphic, pop-art shades was inspired by the hipster-cool spirit of Robertson Boulevard and boast such whimsical names as Melrose, Rodeo Drive, LA Sunrise, and LA Sunset. While the product will initially be available only in-store, Chanel.com will stock the polishes starting in June.

Also in May, Chanel will unveil a redesigned fine jewelry flagship at Madison Avenue and 64th Street. After an extensive interior and exterior renovation, the 1,838-square-foot boutique will feature exclusively twelve new all-diamond rings that revive Coco Chanel's love of fine jewelry.

Marino, the mastermind behind this store as well, paid tribute to the company's iconic founder by incorporating design elements similar to those in Chanel's legendary Paris apartment at 31 Rue Cambon, including the library, salon, gallery, and VIP room. "Rather than a fine jewelry boutique, we wanted to create a living space where our clients can feel comfortable and enjoy a special experience," said Philippe Mougenot, global president of Chanel fine jewelry & watches.

The store features a paneled library that houses the J12 watch collection, as well as a gallery bordered by Coromandel screens that leads to a plush VIP room. A salon sits to the right of the boutique, which features a rock crystal chandelier and mirror created by the renowned Goosens atelier in Paris. Chanel's long-standing commitment to the arts is also evident throughout, as evidenced by a life-sized bronze stag, the "Wapiti," created by French sculptor Francois-Xavier Lalanne, as well as a piece by Yto Barrada and a photograph of a hand-drawn camellia by American artist Joseph Stashkevetch.
JIM SHI

janny328

<3's chanel
Jul 20, 2006
Los Angeles
Robertson Blvd? OMG, I don't know if I'm happy or sad -happy to get another store to troll into, sad for my wallet! ;) Thanks for sharing!

jmen

O.G.
Jan 15, 2007
So that's where the price increase dollars went.

I so miss the Washington, D.C. boutique. They could at least have put a full salon in Chevy Chase or somewhere other than downtown DC with no parking. It's a pia to have to hit Saks in CC and then NM at Tysons for rtw, both of which have a very limited selection. Having a Chanel boutique with only purses, sunnies, a few shoes and accessories always seemed like a half baked idea but I suppose it's better than nothing.

luvhautecouture

Chanelaholic
O.G.
Sep 18, 2007
I didn't really understand the description of the Robertson store-- is it just going to be mostly trendy pieces?? maybe only accessories?

pond23

Stephanie
O.G.
Nov 26, 2006
socal
I'm happy they're opening a second Chanel boutique in LA, but Robertson is so crazy congested that I hardly go there. I wish they would open a boutique in the Topanga Mall in Canoga Park.

clk55girl

Jenn
Aug 3, 2006
OC California
Yay, another store in LA. Too bad I'll have to park in the next city and take a taxi to get there. The area is SO congested because of all the stupid stalking paps camped out there. If they're smart, they'll have their own valet parking and lot for customers like the Rodeo store.

luvhautecouture

Chanelaholic
O.G.
Sep 18, 2007
I'm happy they're opening a second Chanel boutique in LA, but Robertson is so crazy congested that I hardly go there. I wish they would open a boutique in the Topanga Mall in Canoga Park.
they have the small store in Nordstrom's. But I guess they could use a full sized boutique... ahh I'd go there all of the time. The Tiffany&Co just opened and they have a ferragamo there, so I guess chanel could fit in (in the right end of the mall, if you know what i mean)

pond23

Stephanie
O.G.
Nov 26, 2006
socal
they have the small store in Nordstrom's. But I guess they could use a full sized boutique... ahh I'd go there all of the time. The Tiffany&Co just opened and they have a ferragamo there, so I guess chanel could fit in (in the right end of the mall, if you know what i mean)
^^^ Yeah, they're trying to make that particular end of the mall into a mini Rodeo Drive. Louis Vuitton is rumored to be opening a boutique there in the future. Now all we need is a Chanel boutique there, since the Chanel section in Nordstrom has too limited a selection.