Chanel newbie question: color combination?

historygal

Jul 4, 2012
So I am thinking about dipping my toes into the Chanel pool (I usually buy LV), and wanted ladies thoughts as to which combination would be better.

I'm considering both a WOC and a rectangular mini. If I purchase a WOC it would defiantly be in caviar leather and for a mini I'd be open to either caviar or lamb skin. Right now I'm thinking I'd like one piece in black, and one in a fun, statement color. Which bag to you think it would be better to purchase in the black, and which one would be better for a fun color? Or would you recommend 2 mini bags and skip the WOC all together?

Sorry to be asking so many questions, but I would love to add at least one Chanel piece to my collection soon.

So I am thinking about dipping my toes into the Chanel pool (I usually buy LV), and wanted ladies thoughts as to which combination would be better.

I'm considering both a WOC and a rectangular mini. If I purchase a WOC it would defiantly be in caviar leather and for a mini I'd be open to either caviar or lamb skin. Right now I'm thinking I'd like one piece in black, and one in a fun, statement color. Which bag to you think it would be better to purchase in the black, and which one would be better for a fun color? Or would you recommend 2 mini bags and skip the WOC all together?

Sorry to be asking so many questions, but I would love to add at least one Chanel piece to my collection soon.

This is so personal. The first step is to try them both out with your daily essentials. You may find that one fits your things better than the other. The square mini holds more volume but it is a little shorter, so if you have a large phone it may not fit.
You also have to make sure that you like the chain length of both. The chain on the square mini can be a little short for tall ladies but the crossbody chain on the WOC can be a bit long for short ladies (like me, unfortunately). In addition, maybe you prefer either shoulder carry or crossbody carry, or maybe you want one of each.
If it were me and I could ONLY have the two bags you listed, I think I would get a WOC in black that could double as a clutch and the square mini in a nice color.
You might consider the rectangular mini since it will hold a larger phone better and is more of the "classic" shape. You could get that in black and then the square mini or a WOC in a pop color.

Reactions: historygal
That is true, best is to try the bags on at the boutique & see which one works for you. While most people love woc, some struggle to fit things and the strap were deemed to be too long. Either way, these are excellent choices as your first chanel.

In terms of colors, i find woc is lovely in dark colors as it can double as clutch, while minis are doable for both colors & black (depending one the function).

Do note that mini rectangulars are hard to come by in caviar, especially black. So if you are open for colors, other leather types (lambskin & calf), the SS17 minis has some beautiful array of colors for you to choose from. Have fun!

This is so personal. The first step is to try them both out with your daily essentials. You may find that one fits your things better than the other. The square mini holds more volume but it is a little shorter, so if you have a large phone it may not fit.
You also have to make sure that you like the chain length of both. The chain on the square mini can be a little short for tall ladies but the crossbody chain on the WOC can be a bit long for short ladies (like me, unfortunately). In addition, maybe you prefer either shoulder carry or crossbody carry, or maybe you want one of each.
If it were me and I could ONLY have the two bags you listed, I think I would get a WOC in black that could double as a clutch and the square mini in a nice color.
You might consider the rectangular mini since it will hold a larger phone better and is more of the "classic" shape. You could get that in black and then the square mini or a WOC in a pop color.

That is true, best is to try the bags on at the boutique & see which one works for you. While most people love woc, some struggle to fit things and the strap were deemed to be too long. Either way, these are excellent choices as your first chanel.

In terms of colors, i find woc is lovely in dark colors as it can double as clutch, while minis are doable for both colors & black (depending one the function).

Do note that mini rectangulars are hard to come by in caviar, especially black. So if you are open for colors, other leather types (lambskin & calf), the SS17 minis has some beautiful array of colors for you to choose from. Have fun!

Thanks so much for the advice. I found a woc in new condition on Fashionphile in the 2017 cruise turquoise which is my favorite color. It should be arriving on Monday, so I'll be able to see how it works out. I just don't know if I'd rather have this color in the mini, but it is probably sold out everywhere so the universe may make the decision for me, for now at least.