Chanel Newbie, please educate me!

VioletSofia

Nov 30, 2010
Raleigh, NC
First, hello to the Chanel board! Thank you for having me. So glad to finally be here. If I may, can I ask for your advice, I'm in major need of Chanel bag education and I've come to the best place for it! I am a big fan of all things Chanel and have been a lover of the brand for as long as I can remember. I've always jumped the gun to buy a less expensive designer bag instead of waiting a little longer to get a Chanel but now is the time to wait no longer!

1. I see so many sites saying they sell authentic bags and they can prove it blah blah and they have certificates and all that jazz but then I see people saying that you shouldn't purchase anywhere but a Chanel boutique. What do you make of "Malleries.com"?

2. What is your recommendation for a first Chanel bag? I want a basic "introduction to Chanel" bag, black, caviar, lambskin preferably. I carry mostly larger bags right now but can't afford too large of a Chanel bag. So don't tell me jumbo flap because I can't get one :sad:

3. Is the Chanel stock low right now at the stores like it is for other designer bags?

4. Out of all your designer bags, is Chanel your favorite? And why?

5. I only have Louis Vuitton and Gucci, how does Chanel compare quality wise?

#2 is the most important of my questions so if this is too much, just pick that one to answer!! I am sorry for the long post but I want to make a very wise decision. Look forward to seeing pictures of all your gorgeous bags.

Thank you all for your help in advance,:P
V

Feb 2, 2009
Chicago
First, hello to the Chanel board! Thank you for having me. So glad to finally be here. If I may, can I ask for your advice, I'm in major need of Chanel bag education and I've come to the best place for it! I am a big fan of all things Chanel and have been a lover of the brand for as long as I can remember. I've always jumped the gun to buy a less expensive designer bag instead of waiting a little longer to get a Chanel but now is the time to wait no longer!

1. I see so many sites saying they sell authentic bags and they can prove it blah blah and they have certificates and all that jazz but then I see people saying that you shouldn't purchase anywhere but a Chanel boutique. What do you make of "Malleries.com"?

2. What is your recommendation for a first Chanel bag? I want a basic "introduction to Chanel" bag, black, caviar, lambskin preferably. I carry mostly larger bags right now but can't afford too large of a Chanel bag. So don't tell me jumbo flap because I can't get one :sad:

3. Is the Chanel stock low right now at the stores like it is for other designer bags?

#2 is the most important of my questions so if this is too much, just pick that one to answer!! I am sorry for the long post but I want to make a very wise decision. Look forward to seeing pictures of all your gorgeous bags.

Thank you all for your help in advance,:P
V

I'm a relative Chanel Newbie too (I've got a Black Caviar Jumbo with SHW, a Cerf Tote and just acquired a chain around black messenger in the large size), so this could be a little like the partially blind leading the blind, but here are my two cents:

1. I don't have any experience with Malleries.com, but my friend has purchased from Portero.com and has not had any problems with quality or authenticity. I think that if you're willing to do your due diligence, you can score a genuine Chanel on sites such as eBay, you just have to be careful. After all, many TPF members sell their goodies on eBay.

2. The Jumbo flap was my first foray into Chanel-land, but I think that many people find the Cerf Tote or Grand Shopping Tote to be equally classic and desirable but more financially palatable. I think the Cerf Tote is less "in your face" Chanel if you're looking for something very discreet but that the Grand Shopping Tote is gorgeous if you want something more immediately identifiable as Chanel. Both are great first bag options. Also, I would go with Caviar for a first bag, just because it's more durable (and because I see that you have a little one in your avatar and it's enough to have to take care of a living, breathing person, much less having to baby your bag when you're taking care of said little munchkin).

3. Stock doesn't seem to be particularly low, but it might depend on what you're looking for.

4. For me, Chanel's my favorite because it's the one I lusted after the most and is not quite as prevalent as the LV/Gucci bags I see day in and day out (note that my experience of not seeing as much Chanel might be because of where I am--Chicago. When I was in Singapore in September, I saw more Chanel than I thought possible).

5. I lost steam on Question 5. Sorry!

Good luck with your search!

eunaddict

Attempting to be a #functionaladult
O.G.
Dec 11, 2008
Purseland <3
i'll answer 5...chanel is IMO of better quality than both LV and Gucci but it does come with it's own problems and some ppl have been saying the quality of chanel bags has been decreasing steadily since 2004/2005 while the price has been increasing...

While LV and gucci have been trying to mass-market their products, chanel appears to be taking it in the opposite direction by making it more exclusive...as to whether or not quality increases, tht remains to be seen :smile:

mspera

Melissa :)
Mar 9, 2007
Lincoln, CA

I see that a good bit of tpf'ers purchase from Malleries, but I have not personally. I posted a link of recommended Chanel resellers and consignment shops. I personally have had great experience with Ann's Fabulous Finds (even just sent them a Christmas card) :smile:

http://forum.purseblog.com/chanel-s...-consignment-recommendations-only-637137.html

My first Chanel was the Half Moon WOC in black, however, my favorite Chanel bag of mine is my black Cerf with GHW. You will see a lot of replies I imagine for the quintessential Jumbo flap - caviar seems to be more popular and "safe" as opposed to lambskin.

Not totally sure on this one, but stock seems to go quickly on Classic flaps in popular colors - black and beige claire for example.

For years, I was an LV lover, still :heart: LV, but Chanel and LV are sharing a tie for my current favorite...I don't have any Chanel bags that I want now, but I do have a fabulous Chanel wallet on the way.

Quality-wise, I have been pleased with Chanel, you will see some threads of some girls that have had quality issues with Chanel and that they have had declining quality over the years. I am "newer" to the Chanel family (maybe a year and a half or so) and have not had any issues. I carried LV for about 7 years before the Chanel love affair kicked in, and never had any issues with them.

Welcome to Chanel! You will learn so much here and meet sweet, helpful members. Soak up the good info, and then take your knowledge to the boutique or department store to browse for your first bag!

miabeewee

Sep 21, 2010
So fun! I love replying to these types of post b/c i'm a newbie, too, but i'm also OCD about researching things, so although like timberton21 said, it may be like the blind leading the blind, but here is my contribution, and i'm only answering some questions to try avoid repetition of what others have already said:

1. malleries: great place to shop as you will see handbags from various different reputable sites all in one spot, ie chanel touch, portero, etc. so you don't have to fish through every single website as much. i also find the set up to be intuitive and helpful. but of course always get an item authenticated either here or with a reputable authentification service.

4. my fav? hm. yes and no. yes, in that it's the flavor of the moment as i'm trying to build a small collection before the price hikes make things really out of control. but no in the sense that once i'm done i'm done. i tend to favor variety, and although chanel does offer a lot of different styles, there are just too many other brands with great purses to be had.

5. quality wise, i think it's apples and oranges. yes, many ppl will say chanel has superior quality to LV or gucci, but i personally disagree. with LV, everyone always thinks of all the canvas pieces, and so, yes, if you're comparing, say, a chanel jumbo to a neverfull or something, obviously the chanel wins. but LV creates some wonderful LE pieces, and lines like their mahina are wonderful quality wise. they're just too different for me to decide on a clear winner. with gucci i'm not as sure as it's not my personal aesthetic, so i don't own any, but from what i read/hear from friends, it's similar to LV...you have a lot of mass produced pieces for most ppl, but the brand still creates some wonderful higher end (and of course higher priced) items that you might not commonly associate with the brand as they are less common, but nevertheless they epitomize the beauty and quality that the brand can stil conjure up when it wants to.

nmb86

O.G.
Nov 24, 2009
Chicagoland Area
2. It probably depends on how much you want to spend/how big a bag you want. A wallet on chain is nice for a first chanel, there are so many pretty ones out there in different colors...

For a larger bag, you can't go wrong with a GST...my mom's first Chanel was a GST (black caviar w/silver hw) and it's a pretty nice size for the price. I would also consider the medallion tote because it has a zip top rather than the openess of the GST.

If you have a dept. store that sells Chanel or a Chanel boutique near by, I would go and try on some bags to see what you like. This always helps me when I'm deciding. Hope this helps :smile:

VioletSofia

Nov 30, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Thank you so much to everyone who took the time to reply, I really appreciate the information. I am currently deciding on a GST or PPT. Love them both :smile: