Chanel mini rectangle or Chanel 2017 Flap Bag? Help me decide please.

pfsheen

Jan 26, 2016
Hello - I'm new to Chanel & would like to know your thoughts/recommendations please:

Chanel recently released this flap bag which also resembles a mix between the classic flap & boy bag. What are your thoughts on this bag & if you had to pick between this flap bag & a mini rectangle, which one would you go with? I like this new flap bag very much but should I be concerned about its re-sell value? For a little more I can get this bigger size bag over a Chanel mini rectangle. Also I have always loved a boy bag which is out of my budget.

here's the link on the Chanel website but in dark pink:
http://www.chanel.com/en_US/fashion/products/handbags/g/s.flap-bag-sheepskin-lacquered.17P.A93084Y255460B319.c.17P.html

Here's the picture of the bag in black. Myfavoritethings youtuber made a video on this bag. If I were to purchase the bag, it'll be in black.

flapbag1-png.3611542
flapbag2-png.3611551

This would be my first Chanel bag so any suggestions or recommendations as to which one I should pick & why would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Reactions: BagLadyT
It really depends on what you aesthetic preference is. I like the look of both this flap and the mini but I feel like this may get more use. You can definitely fit more in this flap.

As fore resale, in my opinion the rectangular mini may have a better value. I personally prefer this flap (I think its called mademoiselle flap), I have this in the WOC and vintage versions of this. I do not own a mini.

It really depends on what you aesthetic preference is. I like the look of both this flap and the mini but I feel like this may get more use. You can definitely fit more in this flap.

As fore resale, in my opinion the rectangular mini may have a better value. I personally prefer this flap (I think its called mademoiselle flap), I have this in the WOC and vintage versions of this. I do not own a mini.
I like the look of this bag very much ... from the picture. It has that same look as the boy style which is my dream bag if money was not a factor. I only saw the satin fabric version of this bag at the store which is smaller & since I wanted leather, I passed on the sating one. I too think I'll get more wear out of this bag but I am concerned that since it is a bigger bag, there will be more wear & tear since it'll be more prone to people bumping into it, etc.

Good to know it's called the Mademoiselle. My SA is trying to locate 1 for me. I'll ask her for the smaller version as well. Thank you.

Oh! I didn't know it comes in the smaller size. So this would be a medium then? How long have you had this bag & how's the wear & tear?

the small mademoiselle vintage is about the same size as a rectangular mini. I think it fits a little less than the mini because its a double flap but I can fit my iphone 6+ and a small boy zip wallet lip gloss and a card case. I have only had the bag for less than a month and so far its great. I believe the leather is sheepskin its more durable than lamb in my opinion.

Reactions: Deucedst96
I like the look of this bag very much ... from the picture. It has that same look as the boy style which is my dream bag if money was not a factor. I only saw the satin fabric version of this bag at the store which is smaller & since I wanted leather, I passed on the sating one. I too think I'll get more wear out of this bag but I am concerned that since it is a bigger bag, there will be more wear & tear since it'll be more prone to people bumping into it, etc.

Good to know it's called the Mademoiselle. My SA is trying to locate 1 for me. I'll ask her for the smaller version as well. Thank you.
I would get this one then! I love it, its a very classic look :smile:

the small mademoiselle vintage is about the same size as a rectangular mini. I think it fits a little less than the mini because its a double flap but I can fit my iphone 6+ and a small boy zip wallet lip gloss and a card case. I have only had the bag for less than a month and so far its great. I believe the leather is sheepskin its more durable than lamb in my opinion.
Can it crossbody? What is its chain drop? :smile:

I agree with every single point here, literally +1 on everything including having the WOC version of this bag except that I do have a mini. However, to be honest, I have come to learn that the best strategy is to wait and save a little more and then buy the bag you really dream about. If you buy something that is second on your list I think you will still want your dream bag.

Last edited:
The smaller size looks so cute. Is there a reason why you picked the smaller size? Also, can you fit a 6 key holder (LV) vertically because you can with a mini rectangle? Thank you
I picked the small because i really wanted a rectangular caviar mini. After searching for a while and only being offered lambskin my SA suggested the mademoiselle and I fell in love. Its about the same size and not a lot of people have it. I dont have a 6 key holder so not sure but I do have a damier LV cles and it can fit vertically. Oh I should add I am still searching for my caviar mini but i love this bag its not a replacement for the mini I am looking for :smile:

Last edited:
I agree with every single point here, literally +1 on everything including having the WOC version of this bag except that I do have a mini. However, to be honest, I have come to learn that the best strategy is to wait and save a little more and then buy the bag you really dream about. If you buy something that is second on your list I think you will still want your dream bag.
You have a very good point. Thank you.

Reactions: nicole0612
I picked the small because i really wanted a rectangular caviar mini. After searching for a while and only being offered lambskin my SA suggested the mademoiselle and I fell in love. Its about the same size and not a lot of people have it. I dont have a 6 key holder so not sure but I do have a damier LV cles and it can fit vertically. Oh I should add I am still searching for my caviar mini but i love this bag its not a replacement for the mini I am looking for :smile:
Instead of buying this, I would opt to wait for the caviar mini and spend all my energy focusing on how to procure one. For example, instead of waiting, proactively looking to see the store listings in this forum on upcoming seasons and once you see a department store or boutique has a caviar mini, then contact those stores or boutiques to get on their lists first waaaay early. If you're in the US, you can even call those outside of your state to have them ship to you. I would rather do that then to settle. also you might want to think about what colors are acceptable to you? Is it only black Or is it black, navy, dark grey, etc.? that might give you more options as well if you like all those colors. good luck deciding.