chanel maxi or valentino rockstud tote??

chanel or valentino???

• chanel maxi

• valentino rockstud tote

Results are only viewable after voting.
Jun 24, 2006
help! i need a classic black every day bag and have come down to these 2 after much searching. my DH prefers the look of the valentino tote... i love them both! the tote is very soft and spacious. whereas the chanel maxi is such an iconic piece. but the flap may be a nuisance when in a hurry... not to mention it's not as spacious. i'm thinking the chanel will carry it's value better through the years? both have very durable leathers...
i'm hoping to make the right decision and not have regrets later down the road- which is why i've come to my fellow TPF'ers!
thanks in advance!!!

I own a black Chanel maxi and adore it, but that said, I'd go for a tote if you're looking for an everyday bag. I think most people probably need more room and an open top, rather than a flap, for everyday. If you're interested in Chanel, maybe consider a GST or one of their seasonal totes? Perhaps that would be a good compromise. I like the Valentino rockstud but I wonder if that'll look dated soon.

help! i need a classic black every day bag and have come down to these 2 after much searching. my DH prefers the look of the valentino tote... not to mention also said i don't have another bag like it. but i love them both! the tote is very soft and spacious. whereas the chanel maxi is such an iconic piece. but the flap may be a nuisance when in a hurry... not to mention it's not as spacious. i'm thinking the chanel will carry it's value better through the years? both have very durable leathers... i do already own the chanel m/l flap in black with gold hw... i like classic pieces that hold they're value over time.
i'm hoping to make the right decision and not have regrets later down the road- which is why i've come to my fellow TPF'ers!
thanks in advance!!!

help! i need a classic black every day bag and have come down to these 2 after much searching. my DH prefers the look of the valentino tote... not to mention also said i don't have another bag like it. but i love them both! the tote is very soft and spacious. whereas the chanel maxi is such an iconic piece. but the flap may be a nuisance when in a hurry... not to mention it's not as spacious. i'm thinking the chanel will carry it's value better through the years? both have very durable leathers... i do already own the chanel m/l flap in black with gold hw... i like classic pieces that hold they're value over time.
thanks in advance!!!

What about the GST instead of a Maxi? It's an awesome tote. I like Valentino, but I think it's trendy right now. Chanel is classic and will hold its value better.

The maxi may not be the most practical everyday bag, but Chanel has great seasonal totes that are perfect for everyday. The valentino rockstud tote would be my last choice.

I own a black Chanel maxi and adore it, but that said, I'd go for a tote if you're looking for an everyday bag. I think most people probably need more room and an open top, rather than a flap, for everyday. If you're interested in Chanel, maybe consider a GST or one of their seasonal totes? Perhaps that would be a good compromise. I like the Valentino rockstud but I wonder if that'll look dated soon.
yes, i worry about the rockstud tote looking dated. i've tried the chanel gst but it slipped off my shoulder and was pretty heavy. this is going to be difficult! lol

I, too, think Chanel will keep it's value better, but do you ever resell your bags? I think you should go with a bag that you think you will use the most not the one you think it keeps it's value better.

I, too, think Chanel will keep it's value better, but do you ever resell your bags? I think you should go with a bag that you think you will use the most not the one you think it keeps it's value better.
i sell a lot on ebay in order to finance my shopping sprees! lol i doubt later on that i would ever recover the $6k on a used maxi which is what the current retail goes for. nor would i get what i pay for the valentino tote... so it's a matter of preference like you stated. i just didn't think it would be so difficult! lol

I agree with others that you should buy a bag for its purpose. The classic flap isn't for hauling a lot of stuff around town as it will lose its boxy shape quickly. The flap will also pulled up like a triangle shape. That is not the look you want for a classic flap.

There are many Chanel totes that would be perfect for the job and have the quality and styles Chanel has to offer.

Good luck with your search.

I have the Valentino rockstud tote and I love it, but I do think it's trendy. I also have a black cerf tote which is classic. I would recommend a tote over a flap for an everyday bag. So much easier to get in and out of! There are so many great choices; have fun deciding!

Chanel classic maxi flap !!! It's iconic, classy and roomy!!! Even through I don't have one, I still love it's size and look. I have a Jumbo flap instead for my petite frame.

Easy Caviar in Jumbo...? its pretty spacious because theres no double flap.
Cerf Tote would be nice, too. Isnt there a calf skin tote from chanel out right now thats pretty simple like a neverfull style.
I think the Val tote might go out of style to quickly.