Chanel Maxi Caviar...opinions please

JulieMack

Jan 4, 2017
So...this will be my first real luxury bag purchase (preloved). I found a 2011 Chanel Classic Maxi in Caviar for 2400$. Yes it is authentic. I have been looking for the Jumbo but this Maxi was marked down significantly. Here's my questions:
1) I'm 5'3", will the Maxi be too big and overpower my frame?
I tend not to be a minimalist when it comes to what I carry in a purse. I carry the Dior Panarea daily at the moment. I am short but not willowy. I don't really need a daytime to evening handbag.
2) price...great price, right?

Attachments

Last edited:

JulieMack

Jan 4, 2017
I thought so but asked. I am buying it through a friend in Qatar so there is a language issue. I have asked for more pics. We will see.

I can't do lambskin as a first Chanel because I know I would ruin it lol. I need caviar for it's forgiving nature.

JulieMack

Jan 4, 2017
I thought so too. Hopefully pics will show more. My Qatari friend is my failsafe. The woman has more luxury bags than I could imagine lol. She will make sure it is what I want. I'm crossing my fingers it's Caviar because I want a Caviar Chanel badly!!! I'm hoping it's bad lighting.

Sourisbrune

Peace!
May 30, 2015
West Coast, USA; Paris; Monaco
The bag does look like lambskin or smooth calf, not caviar calf. If you are able, I suggest asking for clear close-ups of the grain of the leather.
It's a beautiful bag, in what looks like terrific condition. That price is awesome!!!
I really like the look of a larger bag- rock it with confidence. My only concern would be weight. I have a single flap Caviar Jumbo that is a little on the heavy side, primarily because of the chain strap and caviar leather weighing more than lamb.
If possible, go to a boutique or a department store that carries Chanel bags and try on a Maxi, with all your necessities inside. Take several minutes browsing the Chanel area (walking around), so you can test the weight. You stated you don't carry a lot of things- that helps a lot with the weight issue.
My flap is my first Chanel bag- I love it! It's a fantastic everyday bag.
Best wishes! Let us know what happens.

Last edited:

JulieMack

Jan 4, 2017
The bag does look like lambskin or smooth calf, not caviar calf. If you are able, I suggest asking for clear close-ups of the grain of the leather.
It's a beautiful bag, in what looks like terrific condition. That price is awesome!!!
I really like the look of a larger bag- rock it with confidence. My only concern would be weight. I have a single flap Caviar Jumbo that is a little on the heavy side, primarily because of the chain strap and caviar leather weighs more than lamb.
If possible, go to a boutique or a department store that carries Chanel bags and try on a Maxi, with all your necessities inside. Take several minutes browsing the Chanel area (walking around), so you can test the weight.
Best wishes! Let us know what happens.
I live in the middle of nowhere lol, the mountains of NC. I wish I could try on the sizes but I'm flying a little blind. I think it's a beautiful bag and o have been coveting it for a while. I'm hoping its Caviar but we shall see. I will let you know as soon as I get more pics. The seven hour time difference is killing me.

Sourisbrune

Peace!
May 30, 2015
West Coast, USA; Paris; Monaco
I live in the middle of nowhere lol, the mountains of NC. I wish I could try on the sizes but I'm flying a little blind. I think it's a beautiful bag and o have been coveting it for a while. I'm hoping its Caviar but we shall see. I will let you know as soon as I get more pics. The seven hour time difference is killing me.
Your area sounds beautiful!
Lambskin is not scary, but I totally understand your apprehension towards that leather. Where I live, we get plenty of rain, so a lambskin bag would end up rarely being used. I'm a calf or goat gal, and I'm not delicate with my bags.
Fingers crossed.:hugs:

JulieMack

Jan 4, 2017
Thank you all!!! The Maxi ended up falling through and someone else got it before I could. However....a jumbo popped up. 2400 dollars!!! Ahhhh, I'm nervous and excited.