Chanel Lovers, how many of you also own a Birkin?

I bought a Birkin a while back and I have to warn you, you will probably buy more H bags if you do buy one lol. With Chanel's hefty price increases, a lot of people are starting to look at H bags. Plus Hermes bags are so classic, just like Chanel. I bought a 35 cm Bleu jean Birkin and I love it. I still love my Chanel bags, but I have started buying Birking bags and several Kelly bags came following. lol

^^I agree with this. I started with one Kelly, then two, then a Birkin, etc. I still love Chanel very much though. I am addicted to flaps!

Larkie, you don't have to switch over, enjoy both! :tup:

I'll never own a Birkin or Kelly as I don't care for either of them.

People loosely compare them because they're both VERY classic and very pricey. . . a lot of people start low and over time start to spend more and more. . . it's a natural path it seems for a lot of people.

You're right Amanda...but there's never even a birkin in the boutique for me to try on so i've never had a chance to see how it looks on me in any size. i've only admired it from afar on the ladies who lunch at beverly hills, sigh. the birkin looks so chic!

N, yes I am thinking of adopting one!! Its a 35 Birkin Orange Togo. Its absolutely impossible for the locals here to walk into a Hermes store and pay for it. Same rule apply, the client must be "qualified" to buy a Birkin. Plus, the politic games we must play with the SAs sounds somewhat ridiculous but sadly, true. Well, we have resellers here and I personally know some resellers on Ebay who are quite reputable and trustworthy. SO they are my only hope to obtain one :heart:

N, yes I am thinking of adopting one!! Its a 35 Birkin Orange Togo. Its absolutely impossible for the locals here to walk into a Hermes store and pay for it. Same rule apply, the client must be "qualified" to buy a Birkin. Plus, the politic games we must play with the SAs sounds somewhat ridiculous but sadly, true. Well, we have resellers here and I personally know some resellers on Ebay who are quite reputable and trustworthy. SO they are my only hope to obtain one :heart:

A- When you mentioned 35 Birkin orange togo leather, it reminded me of the episode on Sex in the City where Samatha tried to passed as Lucy Lu's publicist just for her to even be able to get one:nuts:, IF you decided to get it....dont forget to post pics. (let me know as I'm usually here on the Chanel side;)), if you have the chance and moolah, go for it, it is a gorgeous bag:tup:

ok, i have to ask.... whats this about hermes being hard to buy?

do you guys mean its hard to find them (they dont make enough?)

or they are too expensive?

or the SAs are annoying?

im confused... lol

:confused1:

Well, its pretty much the Birkin that is the hardest to obtain. The Hermes bags are completely handmade from start to finish by the same artisan. He or she cuts the leather and makes the entire bag. It takes about 30 days to make a Birkin. (about 17 or so for the Kelly give or take). There are only a handful of qualified craftsman in the world to make these bags, thus there is a shortage. I suppose they could just start doing a production line, etc. but that would take away the beauty of Hermes. The quality is undeniable. Those bags last forever. I have brand new Hermes bags and I have some that are 60 and 40 years old. The stitching is perfect. Anyway, that's what people mean about them being hard to obtain. There are waiting lists and they take years.

EEEEEKK! I noticed in my original post I typed BIRKING bag LOL. That was a typo!:sweatdrop:

Anyway, similarities with Chanel and Hermes is they are both classic bags that have been around for many years and many years to come.

I like versatility, so Chanel may be one of my favorites, but I do like to carry Hermes bags too.

I dont think Hermes bags are "granny" at all. I dont think Victoria B. looks very grannyish to me! LOLOL but its funny how people's perception varies. So many people think the Chanel quilted flap is grannyish too. But ultimately, its up to you since you have to carry them. Its how they make you feel. :tup: Both Hermes and Chanel have been around for over 50 years so Im sure plenty of "grannys" are rocking them!

Last edited:
I have on Birkin-a 35 black leather with gold hardware. I got it as a graduation present from my godfather. I plan on getting another one day but im not sure when-maybe sometime this week since im in Paris.
I love my Birkin because its a basic and vintage piece that looks great when mixed with newer trends. I personally think everyone should own atleast one Birkin-just my thoughts.

Well, its pretty much the Birkin that is the hardest to obtain. The Hermes bags are completely handmade from start to finish by the same artisan. He or she cuts the leather and makes the entire bag. It takes about 30 days to make a Birkin. (about 17 or so for the Kelly give or take). There are only a handful of qualified craftsman in the world to make these bags, thus there is a shortage. I suppose they could just start doing a production line, etc. but that would take away the beauty of Hermes. The quality is undeniable. Those bags last forever. I have brand new Hermes bags and I have some that are 60 and 40 years old. The stitching is perfect. Anyway, that's what people mean about them being hard to obtain. There are waiting lists and they take years.

EEEEEKK! I noticed in my original post I typed BIRKING bag LOL. That was a typo!:sweatdrop:

Anyway, similarities with Chanel and Hermes is they are both classic bags that have been around for many years and many years to come.

I like versatility, so Chanel may be one of my favorites, but I do like to carry Hermes bags too.

I dont think Hermes bags are "granny" at all. I dont think Victoria B. looks very grannyish to me! LOLOL but its funny how people's perception varies. So many people think the Chanel quilted flap is grannyish too. But ultimately, its up to you since you have to carry them. Its how they make you feel. :tup:

I find it so weird when I hear ppl say that Birkins are hard to obtain-Ive gotten tons of Birkins for clients before without even mentioning their name. Especially in today's day in age with ebay and all its not a struggle at all to get a Birkin-except financially wise.

I find it so weird when I hear ppl say that Birkins are hard to obtain-Ive gotten tons of Birkins for clients before without even mentioning their name. Especially in today's day in age with ebay and all its not a struggle at all to get a Birkin-except financially wise.

Sadly, the economy may have something to do with that lately. :sad:

^^^^Birkins are not as readily available, but SA's won't just put anyone on a list for one or ever guarantee you'll get one if you are't proven worthy to them. I've read too many stories here from sweet members unable to secure one.
I know that some boutiques have them in backstock and will only pull them out if the right customer comes in. . . this just doesn't sit right w/ me.
My money spends just like anyone else's . . . it won't ever make sense to me.
I've also heard part of 'earning' the right to spend your $8k or whatever on a Birkin is spending money in there on a Kelly, etc. . . first.

I completely appreciate the skill and craft and leather quality. . . .
but it's sort of like a gorgeous guy who seems to be perfect. . . then opens his mouth :P
LOL!
Also, they're not Granny like to me at all. I think some of them are beautiful, just not functional for my needs. But I also say this about Classic Flaps. .. beautiful but not practical for me.

I love that we all crave different designers, it makes us all individual :biggrin:

The only Hermes product I own now is a canvas bag (sorry Hermes expert I have no idea what's the official name of it) that I bought 2 years ago at the Hermes boutigue at Sapporo airport in Japan, I bought it because it can fit A4 files so it's good for work.

I had never felt that birkin and Kelly is for me, but recently I have started to feel that maybe I will get a Birkin one day, I saw a lady carrying a grey (again there must be an official name for that color:P) birkin, it was very classy yet trendy, it was exactly how i felt when I first saw a Chanel 2.55.

I don't know when I'll really make the plunge, 30 is abit small on me and 35 is sooo heavy ... when I am able to decide on the right size that suits me, maybe that will be the time ;)

Chanel 2.55 will always be my love, at the same time, I think my closet has room for a birkin too....:heart:

I don't own a Birkin, but I LOOOVVVEEE Lindy! Going to get myself a prune swift Lindy soon. Birkin is good looking but I can't stand hand-held bag, not with a squirming baby in my hand, that is. :P