Chanel Leather Quality - Current Collection

jay_

Jun 7, 2020
Hey!
I keep hearing that the quality of leather varies at Chanel. I therefore wanted to ask about experiences with the current collection. I want to buy the Chanel WOC Boy in caviar leather. Does anyone have any experience?

Because its my first chanel:
How do I know that the leather is inferior? What should I pay special attention to?

A lot of it depends what style you like. Some are bigger, softer grains which tend to look more shiny. Others have smaller pebbles and appear more matte. I would take your time looking at several bags (even if it's not the one you're interested in) to compare and see which style appeals to you more. I personally prefer the bigger grains with very puffy quilting.

I have 3 caviar flaps, so hopefully the attached photo can help: the black has the biggest pebbles, then the beige, then the grey. The beige has the flattest quilts (though still on the puffier side of the scale, IMO).

Another thing to note: I would be less concerned about inferior leather than other quality issues (mismatched quilting, off center turnlock, popped stitches, glue residue, etc). All the more reason to see and feel the bag in person if possible! Because the style you’re after is pretty popular, I wouldn’t settle for the first one you see in the boutique if it isn’t exactly to your preferences.

Attachments

• 3FEA7C17-58A9-4596-AF35-B078F6F4B540.jpeg
    3FEA7C17-58A9-4596-AF35-B078F6F4B540.jpeg
    241.3 KB · Views: 424
  • 05C223A9-D2D5-4B89-B84A-80995B728002.jpeg
    05C223A9-D2D5-4B89-B84A-80995B728002.jpeg
    185.7 KB · Views: 424
  • 1EFA3FB5-E62E-4C97-9DDD-8FE8415D5819.jpeg
    1EFA3FB5-E62E-4C97-9DDD-8FE8415D5819.jpeg
    205.5 KB · Views: 412
  • BDDAB665-2371-4A62-849E-AFE44AED54AB.jpeg
    BDDAB665-2371-4A62-849E-AFE44AED54AB.jpeg
    200.6 KB · Views: 395
A lot of it depends what style you like. Some are bigger, softer grains which tend to look more shiny. Others have smaller pebbles and appear more matte. I would take your time looking at several bags (even if it's not the one you're interested in) to compare and see which style appeals to you more. I personally prefer the bigger grains with very puffy quilting.

I have 3 caviar flaps, so hopefully the attached photo can help: the black has the biggest pebbles, then the beige, then the grey. The beige has the flattest quilts (though still on the puffier side of the scale, IMO).

Another thing to note: I would be less concerned about inferior leather than other quality issues (mismatched quilting, off center turnlock, popped stitches, glue residue, etc). All the more reason to see and feel the bag in person if possible! Because the style you’re after is pretty popular, I wouldn’t settle for the first one you see in the boutique if it isn’t exactly to your preferences.

Thank you a lot for the quick answer and your help!:smile:
I have the feeling that the bag I have in view already has very small grains, but still looks very shiny. Do you think there is an even "finer version" or is it already the "softest" i can get in caviar leather?

Attachments

• IMG_1053.png
    IMG_1053.png
    1 MB · Views: 313
I have the feeling that the bag I have in view already has very small grains, but still looks very shiny. Do you think there is an even "finer version" or is it already the "softest" i can get in caviar leather?

Those definitely look on the smaller side of what I've seen. Maybe others can chime in if they have opinions, but if you loved it, go for it!

If it makes your heart sing when you first see the bag, I think it is a good sign that you are happy with the quality of the caviar. I’ve seen a lot of different variations of black caviar and I’ve noticed that it really affects the overall look of the bag. I personally like my bags to look shiny. Some would say it looks plasticy and not like it. It depends on preference. My mini has puffy quilts with a slight sheen. My woc is flatter and shiny. My classic m/l is super shiny! They all have small grains. Like it was mentioned above, you should check more for any defects in stitching and alignment and such. 445D01E7-76DF-4042-8754-67D76E4FA56F.jpeg Here are my black caviar flaps. Hope this helps.

If it makes your heart sing when you first see the bag, I think it is a good sign that you are happy with the quality of the caviar. I’ve seen a lot of different variations of black caviar and I’ve noticed that it really affects the overall look of the bag. I personally like my bags to look shiny. Some would say it looks plasticy and not like it. It depends on preference. My mini has puffy quilts with a slight sheen. My woc is flatter and shiny. My classic m/l is super shiny! They all have small grains. Like it was mentioned above, you should check more for any defects in stitching and alignment and such. View attachment 4750963 Here are my black caviar flaps. Hope this helps.
Beautiful! I think the grains are bigger compared to the caviar nowadays. What season is your m/l from?

My very first WOC offer, when I was a complete noob @ Chanel, was fugly. Back in 2015...thing was matte, dry-looking, plasticky caviar. The SA tried to convince me it'll get shinier later...but I'm like, why would I pin my hopes on that, if I can see the other WOCs being shiny from Day 1? The second WOC I was offered, a week later, had small very shiny grains and was gorgeous. I immediately knew I had done the right thing to wait.

It is indeed important to look at it in person. Either it looks like it's $2000 worth of luxurious joy, or it feels like someone's trying to slap a logo on a mediocre item and play Emperor's New Clothes with your mind. If you look at it and go :loveeyes: then you know why you're paying the extra for something that brings that little extra bit of :blush: whenever you use it, touch it, look at it.

BTW shopmycloset_lk's grey flap has the itty-bitty caviar, different from my WOC's small caviar. It's hard to explain. The itty-bitty caviar (in my mind I call it masago after the Japanese orange caviar) is quite recenty, like only 3-4 years old.

Attachments

• woc.jpg
    woc.jpg
    363.8 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
My very first WOC offer, when I was a complete noob @ Chanel, was fugly. Back in 2015...thing was matte, dry-looking, plasticky caviar. The SA tried to convince me it'll get shinier later...but I'm like, why would I pin my hopes on that, if I can see the other WOCs being shiny from Day 1? The second WOC I was offered, a week later, had small very shiny grains and was gorgeous. I immediately knew I had done the right thing to wait.

It is indeed important to look at it in person. Either it looks like it's $2000 worth of luxurious joy, or it feels like someone's trying to slap a logo on a mediocre item and play Emperor's New Clothes with your mind. If you look at it and go :loveeyes: then you know why you're paying the extra for something that brings that little extra bit of :blush: whenever you use it, touch it, look at it.

BTW shopmycloset_lk's grey flap has the itty-bitty caviar, different from my WOC's small caviar. It's hard to explain. The itty-bitty caviar (in my mind I call it masago after the Japanese orange caviar) is quite recenty, like only 3-4 years old.

I have the "fugly" version of the caviar WOC hahaha. I didn't know it was fugly when i bought it - it was my first (and only) caviar. At that time, I only had a couple of lambskin, a distressed/aged-calfskin, and a patent Chanel bag in my collection. When I bought my WOC, it looked shiny to me, I guess because of the store lighting. I realized it was fugly when I put it beside a friend's caviar bag. I would have thought my WOC was fake if i didn't buy it myself directly from the store. Hahahaha. Oh well... I still have the WOC, I use it a ton but still looks the same - like new and fugly. hahaha. It's the only caviar in my Chanel collection. It's weird but somehow, being a part of the fugly batch of caviar Chanel bags makes it just a bit more special :nuts: :lol: It was made in France.

Speaking of differences in leather, my relatively older Chanel reissue size 227 has a matte aged-calfskin leather. It is black but the color seems dull (and not puffy) compared to my recently bought Chanel reissue size 225, which is shinier and puffier.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Sundaymacaron