Chanel Large Card Holder with Back Pocket, 4 card slots - Hard to Find?

I'm looking for this larger card holder with the mona lisa back pocket and additional card slots.
  • Is this a seasonal item that's hard to purchase from boutiques?
  • Does anyone know the current price of this card holder?
  • For those who have it, do you prefer it over the regular shorter card holder?
Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 11.36.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 11.36.54 AM.png
    295.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 11.40.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 11.40.36 AM.png
    331.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 12.15.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 12.15.10 PM.png
    446.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I'm not 100% certain if it's still available because I bought mine a few years ago, but I think they might have redesigned it so that that back pocket isn't the mona lisa smile anymore, but rather extends the entire length of the cardholder. The mona lisa smile back pocket is really useless, it's not wide enough to actually put cards in without damaging / stretching the leather. It looks really nice because it emulates the classic flap but other than that, it has no function. The new design with the back pocket extending the entire length of the cardholder is a much better design because you can actually put stuff in it.

I don't have the regular shorter card holder so I can't compare. I like the look of it because it looks more proportionate than the regular shorter cardholder, but I also feel like there's quite a bit of wasted space that's unnecessary since the larger cardholder is taller than a regular credit card, and you wouldn't stuff it full to fill that space to prevent the the leather from stretching.

At the time I bought it, it was indeed a popular item that was hard to find in store, specifically because of the mona lisa pocket.

I did a quick google and found this review comparing the two designs:

Reactions: chanel4evernever
I'm not 100% certain if it's still available because I bought mine a few years ago, but I think they might have redesigned it so that that back pocket isn't the mona lisa smile anymore, but rather extends the entire length of the cardholder. The mona lisa smile back pocket is really useless, it's not wide enough to actually put cards in without damaging / stretching the leather. It looks really nice because it emulates the classic flap but other than that, it has no function. The new design with the back pocket extending the entire length of the cardholder is a much better design because you can actually put stuff in it.

I don't have the regular shorter card holder so I can't compare. I like the look of it because it looks more proportionate than the regular shorter cardholder, but I also feel like there's quite a bit of wasted space that's unnecessary since the larger cardholder is taller than a regular credit card, and you wouldn't stuff it full to fill that space to prevent the the leather from stretching.

At the time I bought it, it was indeed a popular item that was hard to find in store, specifically because of the mona lisa pocket.

OMG thank you so much for you feedback! This is extremely helpful. Didn't even know there was another new design with the back pocket extending the entire length of the cardholder. Thought this mona lisa one was the new design. Thanks again!! :smile::heart::heart:

When they made the slip pocket on the regular card holder (there used to no pocket on the smaller size) in 2018 they changed the XL to a slip pocket as well, instead of the mona lisa pocket.

It does seem to easier to find now, usually coming in the new colors of the current collection.

OMG thank you so much for you feedback! This is extremely helpful. Didn't even know there was another new design with the back pocket extending the entire length of the cardholder. Thought this mona lisa one was the new design. Thanks again!! :smile::heart::heart:

Mine (in my profile picture) is a series 25 from 18S, so it's two years old. Fashionphile just posted one with the mona lisa pocket, and based on the series and the type of leather (shiny caviar), it looks like it's from the same season: https://www.fashionphile.com/chanel-caviar-quilted-flap-card-holder-wallet-black-518511

If you like the mona lisa smile pocket then it would be a nice cardholder to get, but IMO it's kinda unnecessary.

Mine (in my profile picture) is a series 25 from 18S, so it's two years old. Fashionphile just posted one with the mona lisa pocket, and based on the series and the type of leather (shiny caviar), it looks like it's from the same season: https://www.fashionphile.com/chanel-caviar-quilted-flap-card-holder-wallet-black-518511

If you like the mona lisa smile pocket then it would be a nice cardholder to get, but IMO it's kinda unnecessary.
Agree! Will be waiting for the extended back pocket or original card holder without back pocket! Thanks!! :biggrin:

Reactions: tikitaki

In the XL card holder, are you able to fold cash just in half without compromising the top of the flap? I have the regular size card holder and just fold my bills once, in half, but do feel that if there are a lot of bills that the top of my flap doesn't close as smoothly. I hope that makes sense. I am also looking for the XL card holder, but it does seem hard to find. TIA!

In the XL card holder, are you able to fold cash just in half without compromising the top of the flap? I have the regular size card holder and just fold my bills once, in half, but do feel that if there are a lot of bills that the top of my flap doesn't close as smoothly. I hope that makes sense. I am also looking for the XL card holder, but it does seem hard to find. TIA!

I don't really use cash anymore but if I recall correctly, I can just fold the cash in half once and it will fit nicely inside the XL cardholder without touching the top of the flap.

Reactions: PuccaNGaru
Agree! Will be waiting for the extended back pocket or original card holder without back pocket! Thanks!! :biggrin:

Hi! I just wanted to loop back because I watched a Mel in Melbourne video today where she talks about the regular flap cardholder from Chanel. She said she's able to fit 20 credit cards in her regular flap cardholder, and I just tried it in my XL cardholder and it doesn't fit anywhere close to 20 cards. I think the reason for this is because even though the cardholder is bigger / taller, there is a divider in between the two slots in the XL cardholder, whereas the regular flap cardholder is just one single compartment. I don't normally carry around 20 cards (maybe 3-4 cards max), but if you have a lot of credit cards, you might want to look into just getting the regular flap cardholder. The XL one just looks nice but it's not as useful as the regular one.

Hi! I just wanted to loop back because I watched a Mel in Melbourne video today where she talks about the regular flap cardholder from Chanel. She said she's able to fit 20 credit cards in her regular flap cardholder, and I just tried it in my XL cardholder and it doesn't fit anywhere close to 20 cards. I think the reason for this is because even though the cardholder is bigger / taller, there is a divider in between the two slots in the XL cardholder, whereas the regular flap cardholder is just one single compartment. I don't normally carry around 20 cards (maybe 3-4 cards max), but if you have a lot of credit cards, you might want to look into just getting the regular flap cardholder. The XL one just looks nice but it's not as useful as the regular one.

Thank you for the additional details. I also wondered if it was because the bottom was tapered, that less cards would fit?

thanks so much!! i also think the xl doesn’t have much additional benefits other than it’s larger wallet look.

Reactions: pinkrose398
wow i'm so glad you mentioned this. I was going to buy the XL because I thought it would hold more. Now I'll have to rethink which chanel SLG/mini wallet to get

I have the smaller one, but I also kind of find it a hair bulky to use in a small bag. I started using an hermes calvi wallet, which is slightly cheaper, thinner, and holds about the same. This only matters to me with small bags as every inch of space counts. I am happy with my Chanel one, but it only holds my gift cards at home.

Reactions: missmary00