Chanel Lambskin - how do I clean it/care for it?

@ironic568 this is the response I just got from patina: "It's pretty normal for color to come off when you condition it with something, from my experience, but once it dries it shouldn't happen any longer. We checked with the original owner who said the bag was never refurbished. It's also obvious from feeling the leather - bags that are reconditioned do not have that original softness to it that your bag has.

Please do not hesitate to contact us with further questions."
I'd be really shocked if a bag was sold by Patina and they said it wasn't re-dyed but it was re-dyed.
They have a hawk eye for this kind of stuff, which is why I appreciate them, because anything re-dyed is obvious from feel, and any good seller would disclose it.
Personally, I can easily tell from photos sometimes too if a bag has been redyed or not, even if it's the same color as the original color. But you should be able to tell more readily in person - if a lambskin bag is re-dyed, it just doesn't feel the same, it ranges from stiffer to plastick-y, or just like calf instead of lamb. That's how good sellers should be able to easily tell, and, therefore disclose (I've seen them disclose when it has been). Ask them! I agree with @ironic568 that if a bag is redyed, it could start cracking or creating wedge-like lines over time, but it is because of the hardening of the leather. Does the leather feel hard?
re-conditioning is a different story... that does not affect the leather as it's not dye or coloring, but just polish... I would ask

I'd be really shocked if a bag was sold by Patina and they said it wasn't re-dyed but it was re-dyed.
They have a hawk eye for this kind of stuff, which is why I appreciate them, because anything re-dyed is obvious from feel, and any good seller would disclose it.
Personally, I can easily tell from photos sometimes too if a bag has been redyed or not, even if it's the same color as the original color. But you should be able to tell more readily in person - if a lambskin bag is re-dyed, it just doesn't feel the same, it ranges from stiffer to plastick-y, or just like calf instead of lamb. That's how good sellers should be able to easily tell, and, therefore disclose (I've seen them disclose when it has been). Ask them! I agree with @ironic568 that if a bag is redyed, it could start cracking or creating wedge-like lines over time, but it is because of the hardening of the leather. Does the leather feel hard?
re-conditioning is a different story... that does not affect the leather as it's not dye or coloring, but just polish... I would ask
No the leather doesn't really feel hard. I love the bag, it's super gorgeous. I just wasn't sure why there was black color on my cloth :/ I agree with you, I have seen listings of theirs where they have disclosed that the bag has been reconditioned, etc. They have been answering my emails super fast and the lady said that they want me to be happy and will exchange if that's what I want. I really don't want to return as I have already been using it and am in love with the bag. If it's just polish, what does that do to the bag, if anything??

No the leather doesn't really feel hard. I love the bag, it's super gorgeous. I just wasn't sure why there was black color on my cloth :/ I agree with you, I have seen listings of theirs where they have disclosed that the bag has been reconditioned, etc. They have been answering my emails super fast and the lady said that they want me to be happy and will exchange if that's what I want. I really don't want to return as I have already been using it and am in love with the bag. If it's just polish, what does that do to the bag, if anything??
Polish would be like conditioner with tint. I use Meltonian black polish for certain items like my belt and shoes.
It would be an oil-based tint, vs. a dye rubbing off. And if that's the case (just black polish vs. redye), the effect would be the same as what you just did with your conditioner. Redye is entirely different; that is re-coloring, which causes hardening and breakage.
Tell me, when you say it's not hard, is it soft like lambskin, or does it feel kind of hard like calfskin? Do you have any other lambskin Chanel bags you can compare it to? Again, I'd be shocked if they sold something as "not redyed" but it was - even if the original owner lied and said it wasn't, they have the eye to be able to tell if it is or not.

Reactions: juicygirl82
Polish would be like conditioner with tint. I use Meltonian black polish for certain items like my belt and shoes.
It would be an oil-based tint, vs. a dye rubbing off. And if that's the case (just black polish vs. redye), the effect would be the same as what you just did with your conditioner. Redye is entirely different; that is re-coloring, which causes hardening and breakage.
Tell me, when you say it's not hard, is it soft like lambskin, or does it feel kind of hard like calfskin? Do you have any other lambskin Chanel bags you can compare it to? Again, I'd be shocked if they sold something as "not redyed" but it was - even if the original owner lied and said it wasn't, they have the eye to be able to tell if it is or not.
I do have a Chanel lambskin o case but it is from the 2015 collection that I got straight from the boutique. This bag is a 6 series. The o case I have does feel more stiff than this bag, a little plasticky or coated if that makes sense.

I do have a Chanel lambskin o case but it is from the 2015 collection that I got straight from the boutique. This bag is a 6 series. The o case I have does feel more stiff than this bag, a little plasticky or coated if that makes sense.
Ah, if your recently purchased bag is a 6 series, it will feel softer than present day lamb because they don't put the wax on top of it, and the quality is probably better too, as long as it's the original lamb and not redyed. If it's redyed, it will feel like calf / harder than present day lamb. This is why older lambskins like the true vintage ones have a "petal-like" feel while the newer ones don't. To find an older lamb that is pristine is very difficult; it is one of my collecting vices. Haha. Pros and cons, I guess. Good that you are conditioning in advance - it's the best way to prevent wear before it starts, especially the corners...

Ah, if your recently purchased bag is a 6 series, it will feel softer than present day lamb because they don't put the wax on top of it, and the quality is probably better too, as long as it's the original lamb and not redyed. If it's redyed, it will feel like calf / harder than present day lamb. This is why older lambskins like the true vintage ones have a "petal-like" feel while the newer ones don't. To find an older lamb that is pristine is very difficult; it is one of my collecting vices. Haha. Pros and cons, I guess. Good that you are conditioning in advance - it's the best way to prevent wear before it starts, especially the corners...
I never thought I would want a vintage bag but now I love it, especially the plated hardware!! Do you have any advice for me on what I should do about the polish or whatever it may be that's on the bag??

In the spot where you rubbed of some of the black, does it now look duller than the rest of the bag? I find that black liquid polish is used to give the leather more shine and luster, but after it rubs off, the leather goes back to its original state.
Black polish on shoes and stuff is fine, but I wouldn't recommend it for bags.

I would clean the bag and get all the polish off and then condition it with a clear leather conditioner, such as the ones recommended in this thread.
I use Meltonian leather lotion and Leather Honey leather conditioner. The latter one does miracles for dry and cracked leather. It brought a dry and worn out LV damier ebene strap of mine back to a beautiful condition.

In the spot where you rubbed of some of the black, does it now look duller than the rest of the bag? I find that black liquid polish is used to give the leather more shine and luster, but after it rubs off, the leather goes back to its original state.
Black polish on shoes and stuff is fine, but I wouldn't recommend it for bags.

I would clean the bag and get all the polish off and then condition it with a clear leather conditioner, such as the ones recommended in this thread.
I use Meltonian leather lotion and Leather Honey leather conditioner. The latter one does miracles for dry and cracked leather. It brought a dry and worn out LV damier ebene strap of mine back to a beautiful condition.
Sorry for all the questions but I just don't want to ruin my bag! How would I go about getting all the polish off safely? :hrmm: The bag does still seem to be uniformly shiny.

Attachments

• IMG_9666.JPG
    IMG_9666.JPG
    140.2 KB · Views: 2,356
Reactions: Kapusiini
Sorry for all the questions but I just don't want to ruin my bag! How would I go about getting all the polish off safely? :hrmm: The bag does still seem to be uniformly shiny.
This has never happened to my vintage Chanel lambskin bag with Cadillac Boot & Shoe Care. So I agree that there must be some left over black polish on your bag. If you use the Cadillac to gently condition the bag with a lint free cloth, you should be able to wipe off all the excess black polish with it.

Reactions: juicygirl82
Hello All, I know that many ppl recommend Leather Surgeons, has anyone used Artbag in NYC.? I've read very good things about them. I'd liked to go somewhere in person rather than mailing my bag.
Thanks
I've also heard that Artbag in NYC is good, but have never used them. Hopefully, someone else can provide you with a testimonial.