Chanel Jumbos going out of style?

vivy_tran

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure if there’s another thread for this topic, but are Chanel Jumbos getting less and less popular with the whole mini craze? Do you think Jumbos will make a comeback? I’m seeing less Jumbo purchases now than before, but I think it’s due to its current high price (near Hermes level). I’m curious to know what the ladies (and gentlemen) of TPF think about this.

When comparing to other classic flap sizes, I’ve noticed that Jumbos are on sale more in the secondhand market now. I can see why some would sell theirs like being too boxy, too heavy, or going out of style..

I was actually joking with my SA about this today. I’m so glad nobody else is going for the jumbos because it’s my favorite size. With the way it’s talked about on TPF, you’d think it was a giant black hole, but really it’s not a big bag in terms of what it fits. I personally think it’s the best size for a day bag and that the proportions are more aesthetically pleasing than the medium or the maxi. BUT I agree with you that they have just about priced me out and I will only get another if it’s a color that I can’t live without.

I think big bags will make a comeback at some point, but judging on their 21ss show, looks like micro bags are still going to be hot :annoyed:

IMO, it’s cyclical. In 2008, i made the move from Chanel bags to Hermes, bc of the prices, and no one wanted smaller bags. It was all B35, k32, chanel jumbos and BV medium cabats. Back then, no one wanted K28s or smaller or B25s. In fact, no one wanted B30s either bc they we’re deemed too purse like and not what a birkin tote should be. . . In some high end brands, the tide is already turning back to larger sizes. Of course for those of us who like a bargain, and have storage room, there are plenty of choices :biggrin:

Last edited:
I agree. I think it's cyclical. The trend is mini now but big bags will come back. :smile:
I started buying chanel in 2011 and it was all about the jumbo and larger bags. Nobody wanted the mini or talked about it like they do now. As the trend started getting smaller, minis got more popular. I dont know if it's the price that just made jumbo not as popular or size but it's my favorite size out of all my purses. I dont think the double flap is heavy at all and it carries just the right amount. I don't think it's that big either. I'm 5'3 0/xs.
The mini was $2000 usd then and jumbo was $3700 or $3900? I got my m/l for $3600 total I think.. so price point wise... I paid the same amount for my jumbo as a new mini now. I think that may have a large part to it.

Id be interested in hearing from someone who is new to chanel. It looks like the OGs like the jumbo alot but we all purchased it when it was much cheaper.

Not sure if there’s another thread for this topic, but are Chanel Jumbos getting less and less popular with the whole mini craze? Do you think Jumbos will make a comeback? I’m seeing less Jumbo purchases now than before, but I think it’s due to its current high price (near Hermes level). I’m curious to know what the ladies (and gentlemen) of TPF think about this.

When comparing to other classic flap sizes, I’ve noticed that Jumbos are on sale more in the secondhand market now. I can see why some would sell theirs like being too boxy, too heavy, or going out of style..
I love my Jumbo! I finally got mine just before the most recent price increase, so it wasn't an easy decision! I do not regret the large purchase at all. I really think it's a great size to wear out to dinner or wear with jeans cross-body. Fits everything plus. Got mine in caviar so it wears really well and I don't have to super-baby it.

They are definitely less popular than they used to be. I sold my jumbo last year on eBay and it took a very long time for it to sell, as in over a year. I didn’t even have many enquiries about it. I’ve just sold a M/L and it sold in a matter of weeks.
Hmm, I noticed that the prices of jumbos listed on the second hand market dropped after months of struggling to sell.

Reactions: Milosmum0307
Id be interested in hearing from someone who is new to chanel. It looks like the OGs like the jumbo alot but we all purchased it when it was much cheaper.

Hi- I am new to Chanel :wave:

I have bought my first Chanel bag this summer (small/middle sized Coco Handle -when there was no „new mini size“).

I have no idea why Jumbos shouldn‘t be as popular as before. The LV Neverfull for example is as popular as always...

When buying my first bag I also tried a beige claire Jumbo in store and it is stunning and just gorgeous. Wow- This bag also took my breath away.:heart:

But being new to Chanel (coming over from LV) and living in an area where I see VERY few designer purses and like ZERO Chanel at all... I sort of felt a little uncomfortable and overwhelmed by the bag AND the price tag- I went into the boutique in June, so the huge price increase already smashed my stomach :doh:

My beige small size Coco fits almost as much as the Jumbo and there were several reasons to go for the Coco for me. Yes, price point being one of them of course but also the long shoulder carry option and top handle. The Jumbo would have left me with one carry option (double strap on shoulder).
Another reason: there had been no increase in the last round for Coco. That was a Plus as well.

To sum it up:
As Chanel Newbie, who doesn‘t live in a big city or has some sort of manager job and endless money, the Jumbo still is an absolute dream bag!:love:
I would love to own one some day and may look into the preloved market.
I don‘t think the Jumbo is going anywhere....

I love the jumbo. It is my favourite size too and I have both single and double flaps. I am also partial to minis. Its all or nothing with me! I have quite a few but the jumbo is definitely here to stay. I still stalk and my view is that their prices have sky rocketed on the preloved market too.

So I am new to Chanel, but I'm an OG purseforumer and when I started getting into luxury bags back in 2010, it was all about the jumbo and for the longest time that's the bag I wanted and dreamed about. Well this year I was finally able to get my dream Chanel, and when I went to the boutique over the last few months to try on and buy, I actually ended up falling in love with the m/l over the jumbo. The reason for me though, had nothing to do with trends because I kind of hate mini-bags and have never been into the mini cf or wocs or even the small size. I actually still WANTED the jumbo, even as I was paying for the m/l! HOWEVER, practically for me, the jumbo was just way too heavy, a bit too flashy, and I knew deep down as much as I looooove the jumbo, I probably wouldn't end up using it because it would make me feel self-conscious and overly burdened; so I went with the m/l because I will actually use it.

All this said, I think the jumbo will come back into style for sure over the next few years; even now, we are seeing bigger bags on the runway for F/W (like BV, and even Chanel Cruise 21). I think the current mini-bag trend is going to die out at some point soon because some of the mini-bags are getting ridiculously small and across social media, I've been seeing more influencers kind of start to express more interest in larger bags again.

I’ve also never really understood sizes of a classic bag being out of style. How can a Chanel flap mini be in but a jumbo be out? Or a Birkin 25 be in but a Birkin 35 be out? It’s the same style just a different size. The size bag I choose when going out depends on my needs at the time. I take the size that’s functional.
You made a good point! Maybe a better word would be “less popular than before” as opposed to “going out of style”. I’m seeing more jumbos (relative to other classic styles) in the secondhand market and hearing more of the reasons why people are selling theirs on social media. I figured maybe it’ll be great to have a discussion here since we have so many Chanel lovers! :flowers: