Chanel Jumbos going out of style?

Hi all! Need some helping choosing a work bag from these 3 choices, any advice would be appreciated!
1) single flap jumbo in lambskin in black with SHW
2) single/double flap maxi in black with SHW
3) reissue 227 in black with GHW

My essentials include my wallet, phone, water bottle, umbrella. It would be great if it can fit a laptop too!

TIA!
Hmmm, ok first, depending on the size of your laptop (obviously), I’m thinking the single flap maxi is your only hope if you want to try to fit your laptop. Of the three listed, the jumbo is the smallest bag, then the 227, then the maxi. And the difference in what you can carry in a single flap versus a double flap is significant. The double flap takes up a lot of space (but provides a lot of structure, so if that is important to you, that is definitely something to consider).

Second, you might want to think about the length of the drop. The strap on the jumbo is a quite a bit longer than that for the 227 and the maxi (so despite the size difference, the weight of a SF jumbo vs a SF maxi is surprisingly similar because of the difference in the length, and thus the weight, of the chain). If you want to carry the bag crossbody, the jumbo is probably your only option.

Third, as mentioned above, you might want to think about weight. The double flap maxi will be the heaviest of the bunch and might get heavy after a while.

Fourth, durability…if you are like me this would be a real consideration since my daily work bag really takes a beating. The reissue will probably hold up the best - assuming you’re looking at an aged calfskin 227, that is a very hearty leather, plus the nature of the leather tends to hide flaws beautifully. On the other hand, in all likelihood the jumbo lambskin will show a multitude of scratches in pretty short order if used as a work bag. I’ve had great success with buffing out almost every scratch on my lambskin bags, but none of my lambskin bags take the kind of abuse I deliver to my work bag, so keeping a lambskin work bag looking new-ish might be a real chore, if not impossible. I’m not sure which leather you would select for the maxi, but obviously caviar would hold up much better than lambskin - the maxi is so big it’s hard not to bang it into things, so the lambskin, in particular, would show a lot of dings.

Lastly, style. The difference between a CF and a reissue is pretty significant. Some people don’t want the double c’s so visible on the bag they carry to the office (and some people do) - it’s very personal. The reissue is more understated. The CF screams “Chanel” and is a bit more formal (again, the leather plays a role in that too). It all depends on your style and what works for you.

Those are the major considerations that popped into the top of my head when I first read your post, but I’m sure there are others. Good luck making your decision…what a fun decision to get to make! Enjoy!

Hi all! Need some helping choosing a work bag from these 3 choices, any advice would be appreciated!
1) single flap jumbo in lambskin in black with SHW
2) single/double flap maxi in black with SHW
3) reissue 227 in black with GHW

My essentials include my wallet, phone, water bottle, umbrella. It would be great if it can fit a laptop too!

TIA!
I would not choose lamb leather for a work bag. The leather is too soft and easily scratched.
I’d also look past the other options and instead consider a tote if a laptop is on the list things you’d carry.

Reactions: Flyingmarsbar
Have you considered the caviar? Maybe in lambskin it would be a little bit delicate for work imo! My jumbo holds a lot of stuff, but I've never tried to fit a laptop

Yes, I did consider the caviar but was worried about the weight. Heard lambskin is much lighter! Doubt the laptop can fit into the jumbo, but was after the long straps that I can wear on both shoulders Gabrielle style to help spread out the weight. But yes I will have to reconsider my leather options in terms of durability. Thanks Anna for the advice!

Hmmm, ok first, depending on the size of your laptop (obviously), I’m thinking the single flap maxi is your only hope if you want to try to fit your laptop. Of the three listed, the jumbo is the smallest bag, then the 227, then the maxi. And the difference in what you can carry in a single flap versus a double flap is significant. The double flap takes up a lot of space (but provides a lot of structure, so if that is important to you, that is definitely something to consider).

Second, you might want to think about the length of the drop. The strap on the jumbo is a quite a bit longer than that for the 227 and the maxi (so despite the size difference, the weight of a SF jumbo vs a SF maxi is surprisingly similar because of the difference in the length, and thus the weight, of the chain). If you want to carry the bag crossbody, the jumbo is probably your only option.

Third, as mentioned above, you might want to think about weight. The double flap maxi will be the heaviest of the bunch and might get heavy after a while.

Fourth, durability…if you are like me this would be a real consideration since my daily work bag really takes a beating. The reissue will probably hold up the best - assuming you’re looking at an aged calfskin 227, that is a very hearty leather, plus the nature of the leather tends to hide flaws beautifully. On the other hand, in all likelihood the jumbo lambskin will show a multitude of scratches in pretty short order if used as a work bag. I’ve had great success with buffing out almost every scratch on my lambskin bags, but none of my lambskin bags take the kind of abuse I deliver to my work bag, so keeping a lambskin work bag looking new-ish might be a real chore, if not impossible. I’m not sure which leather you would select for the maxi, but obviously caviar would hold up much better than lambskin - the maxi is so big it’s hard not to bang it into things, so the lambskin, in particular, would show a lot of dings.

Lastly, style. The difference between a CF and a reissue is pretty significant. Some people don’t want the double c’s so visible on the bag they carry to the office (and some people do) - it’s very personal. The reissue is more understated. The CF screams “Chanel” and is a bit more formal (again, the leather plays a role in that too). It all depends on your style and what works for you.

Those are the major considerations that popped into the top of my head when I first read your post, but I’m sure there are others. Good luck making your decision…what a fun decision to get to make! Enjoy!

Wow thanks so much for your detailed breakdown! Reissue seems to be a better choice for an understated look to bring to the office, but a laptop would be impossible in this case. I’ve never owned a reissue and am quite concerned about how the straps might dig in when heavy. Any advice for this?

I would not choose lamb leather for a work bag. The leather is too soft and easily scratched.
I’d also look past the other options and instead consider a tote if a laptop is on the list things you’d carry.

Ah yes I was considering other totes but am not liking those usual ones we see i.e. lv neverfull/ onthego, goyard, ysl etc. I am actually thinking of Hermes herbag as an alternative, but it seems this is also difficult to get at my local boutique. The new chanel deauville in the grey and black color way is absolutely lovely but I don’t think I stand a chance to get that in store too. Also, deauville tote might be too casual? Any advice on the small deauville tote and herbag 31 would be appreciated too

Yes, I did consider the caviar but was worried about the weight. Heard lambskin is much lighter! Doubt the laptop can fit into the jumbo, but was after the long straps that I can wear on both shoulders Gabrielle style to help spread out the weight. But yes I will have to reconsider my leather options in terms of durability. Thanks Anna for the advice!
It's a little heavy but not that much, but my opinion is pointless since I would wear the jumbo even if it was 10kg :lol:

Reactions: lolasparks