Chanel Jumbo Flap Question!

Honestly, dear edsltan, there is "talk about town" that a price increase is about to hit the jumbo classic flaps (caviar + lambskin) since there has not been one in two years.

A second area to consider is the re-sale market. Now, I never recommend someone purchase a handbag solely for the purpose of re-selling. To me, that defeats the whole purpose of the entire Chanel experience. One should ONLY purchase the handbag that makes their "heart sing". That being said, a jumbo black quilted caviar leather cf with GHW, in EXCELLENT condition is probably your best option as far as return on investment - especially if/when a price increase occurs. Hence it cannot hurt to be mindful to avoid purchasing the more trendy bags that may not appeal to the population as a whole (i.e. Chanel flap bags with crochet overlay :P). However, there are MANY MANY lambskin classic flap lovers out there, including myself and sweet "ceedoan" and hundreds+ of TPF members that would jump on a pristine pre-loved jumbo black lambskin classic flap.

I, personally, am a SHW-ONLY gal. I see it more as "Platinum Hardware" in my delusional Chanel world. And since almost all the jewelery I ever wear is platinum, my Chanel collection is exclusively SHW, from eyewear to SLGs to handbags. This is despite my knowing that the jumbo black classic flap with GHW looks AMAZING and is potentially more popular in either lamb or caviar!! Just like "ceedoan's" BEAUTY !! :heart::heart::heart:

Speaking of re-selling, many members of TPF have located and purchased GORGEOUS pre-loved classic flaps on reseller sights like Fashionphile, Timeless Luxuries, etc. Some STILL even have tags on them, yet are less $$$ than buying brand-new from a Chanel Boutique, Saks, NM, BG, Nordstrom, etc). Please be cautious, however, and you may want/need to do a bit of homework/research first; because I have also seen SLGs, for instance, actually marked-up on these reseller websites, when in reality your local Nordstrom, et al, is currently selling them at retail price.

Please see the image below that another TPF member recently posted in a Chanel forum that I believe has a thread on price-increases, in general. This image has been circulating to provide a better perspective regarding a potential price increase for this year. Hence patiently waiting until year-end, or even next year, may result in an even HIGHER price than $5,500. I have no doubt it will be well over $6,000+. (I believe the jumbo reissue already is.) Just food for thought...

Hope this is helpful.:smile:
View attachment 3405469

Here in Canada, before June 2016, price is 6950 cad (plus applicable taxes) = 5300 usd but now we already had a price increase to 7075 = 5500 usd. The manager at chanel boutique told me that since they already had a price increase this year, maybe they won't have another one anytime soon. Yearly, they have an increase. Thanks for your info by the way. But if I'm gonna buy it brand new, do you think it's still worth it or not?

In my humble opinion, alongside where I am in my life and the career I worked at to create and maintain for decades, the splurge is absolutely worth every penny to me. :heart::heart::heart::heart:

I have purchased 4 Jumbo classic flaps (2 chevron caviar leather and 2 lambskin). I researched the brand extensively for months prior to making my 1st purchase. I visited every boutique and department store-Chanel in my entire county.

Granted, "if" I could travel now, I may have invested more of my income in that, as I am a firm believer that investing in life experiences is far more valuable than investing solely in material goods.

Given the fact that my days of travel and long-distant adventures with family and friends are no longer possible, I have volunteered many years of service to a local women's shelter for homeless/pregnant women, and due to the simple fact that surely no one's hard-earned income ever follows them to the grave, I continue to have ZERO regret purchasing my lambskin classic flaps.

Further, as a creative and talented CPA, not once have I had to drop $5,500 (no tax, or plus tax) to be paid in-full. There are many other means of payment (i.e. "major purchase account programs", payments over 12-24 months, with zero interest, etc).

Again, just my opinion, speaking for myself only = ZERO regret and 100%+ worth every penny.:smile:

In my humble opinion, alongside where I am in my life and the career I worked at to create and maintain for decades, the splurge is absolutely worth every penny to me. :heart::heart::heart::heart:

I have purchased 4 Jumbo classic flaps (2 chevron caviar leather and 2 lambskin). I researched the brand extensively for months prior to making my 1st purchase. I visited every boutique and department store-Chanel in my entire county.

Granted, "if" I could travel now, I may have invested more of my income in that, as I am a firm believer that investing in life experiences is far more valuable than investing solely in material goods.

Given the fact that my days of travel and long-distant adventures with family and friends are no longer possible, I have volunteered many years of service to a local women's shelter for homeless/pregnant women, and due to the simple fact that surely no one's hard-earned income ever follows them to the grave, I continue to have ZERO regret purchasing my lambskin classic flaps.

Further, as a creative and talented CPA, not once have I had to drop $5,500 (no tax, or plus tax) to be paid in-full. There are many other means of payment (i.e. "major purchase account programs", payments over 12-24 months, with zero interest, etc).

Again, just my opinion, speaking for myself only = ZERO regret and 100%+ worth every penny.:smile:
Wow! Where is that kind of payment scheme? Chanel only allows straight payment in the boutiques right? Can you walk me through other payment schemes that Chanel boutique offers? I'm not really informed of this.

Honestly, dear edsltan, there is "talk about town" that a price increase is about to hit the jumbo classic flaps (caviar + lambskin) since there has not been one in two years.

A second area to consider is the re-sale market. Now, I never recommend someone purchase a handbag solely for the purpose of re-selling. To me, that defeats the whole purpose of the entire Chanel experience. One should ONLY purchase the handbag that makes their "heart sing". That being said, a jumbo black quilted caviar leather cf with GHW, in EXCELLENT condition is probably your best option as far as return on investment - especially if/when a price increase occurs. Hence it cannot hurt to be mindful to avoid purchasing the more trendy bags that may not appeal to the population as a whole (i.e. Chanel flap bags with crochet overlay :P). However, there are MANY MANY lambskin classic flap lovers out there, including myself and sweet "ceedoan" and hundreds+ of TPF members that would jump on a pristine pre-loved jumbo black lambskin classic flap.

I, personally, am a SHW-ONLY gal. I see it more as "Platinum Hardware" in my delusional Chanel world. And since almost all the jewelery I ever wear is platinum, my Chanel collection is exclusively SHW, from eyewear to SLGs to handbags. This is despite my knowing that the jumbo black classic flap with GHW looks AMAZING and is potentially more popular in either lamb or caviar!! Just like "ceedoan's" BEAUTY !! :heart::heart::heart:

Speaking of re-selling, many members of TPF have located and purchased GORGEOUS pre-loved classic flaps on reseller sights like Fashionphile, Timeless Luxuries, etc. Some STILL even have tags on them, yet are less $$$ than buying brand-new from a Chanel Boutique, Saks, NM, BG, Nordstrom, etc). Please be cautious, however, and you may want/need to do a bit of homework/research first; because I have also seen SLGs, for instance, actually marked-up on these reseller websites, when in reality your local Nordstrom, et al, is currently selling them at retail price.

Please see the image below that another TPF member recently posted in a Chanel forum that I believe has a thread on price-increases, in general. This image has been circulating to provide a better perspective regarding a potential price increase for this year. Hence patiently waiting until year-end, or even next year, may result in an even HIGHER price than $5,500. I have no doubt it will be well over $6,000+. (I believe the jumbo reissue already is.) Just food for thought...

Hope this is helpful.:smile:
View attachment 3405469

Great advice!! [emoji1][emoji106][emoji847] btw the chart u included..... Holy cow the jump between 2010 and 2012!!!! But of course back then I was in no place to spend $3500 on one bag and now kinda wished I saved up and just bought one in 2010!! [emoji24]

Reactions: Plumeria233
Wow! Where is that kind of payment scheme? Chanel only allows straight payment in the boutiques right? Can you walk me through other payment schemes that Chanel boutique offers? I'm not really informed of this.

From the perspective of one who lives and works in the United States...

Chanel, in and of itself, does not offer a credit card. However, department stores in the US like Saks Fifth Avenue do. Are there Saks Fifth Avenue or Neiman Marcus department stores in Canada?

On pre-determined days, not only does a Saks cardholder receive triple rewards points, many folks, although not all, may qualify for and take advantage of the Saks Major Purchase Account (MPA) program. Under the terms of this account any purchase over $2,000 USD qualifies where one may pay equal payments over 6 months, or on rarer occasions, over 12 months, without incurring interest or additional finance charges.

In my career I have offered a high volume of "credit counseling" where I strongly discourage folks with low/poor credit history from opening department store credit cards, period, due to the extremely high APR (annual percentag rate of interest), as high as 24% or higher. Versus when one carries a basic bank VISA, the APR may be as low as 8-10%.

When an individual has a strong credit history and accompanying high FICO (credit) score, their banks offer them "promotions" to transfer a balance from one credit card (say an AMEX used initially to purchase a Chanel handbag for $5,500 give or take applicable taxes) and onto a VISA that has a "promotion" being offered to the client whereby no interest is charged on that $5,500 for as long as 24 months in some cases. Granted, should someone fail to pay that balance in-full plus a variable 4% service fee after 2 years, the interest charged reinstates itself and it can be truly astronomical.

Sadly, I am not sure if anything I have mentioned resembles the credit system in Canada and/or if what I have typed in a few short sentences even makes sense when this is often a long in-person conversation. Not to mention this is also a service that my firm requires billing by the 1/4 hour.:cool::smile:

My best advice would be to contact your bank about "Balance Transfer Promotions" who can explain what these are and answer as many questions you might have for free of charge and certainly more applicable to your Canadian commerce system.

I do not encourage most people to engage in these type of payment programs unless one is guaranteed to be organized and stay ahead of their monthly payments due.

Since I appreciate what is called the "present value of money" vs. "future value of money" (both are finance concepts), and I am obsessively organized via spreadsheets etc and do not not rely on the credit card company to remind me when and what to pay, I have never had a problem. In fact, the result is even more "promotions" being offered.

Hope that is helpful.:smile:

Reactions: Gina88
The jumbo will cost you $7075 + 13% tax = $7994.75 and It is too expensive for it. I bought a fuchsia jumbo before June and I am regretting now. We may better wait until Canadian dollar goes up.

Last edited:
Hey, sorry for digging out the old thread, but Im about to buy my first Chanel cf. I went to the boutique today, and found out the same issue. SA brought out two bags, and all threads at the sides are all kind peeking out just like op's pic.
Is that a common thing on Chanel lamakin now? Or I should find another boutique to try?
Thank you!!

I just bought my dream bag. The SA who served me she blatantly lied to me. The stitching is showing all OVER the bag.

I bought the bag on a credit note. The SA told me it's completely normal.

Now I've realized it's faulty. Plus the flap one side is bigger than the other.
My bag was a rushed job.

Do you guys think my bag is faulty?
I'm going to go into my regular SA to speak to her about it.
I'm not happy about the quality. Considering I've paid $8010 Australian dollars for it.

Attachments

• 45876432_2223161531252489_2715088418257240064_n.jpg
    45876432_2223161531252489_2715088418257240064_n.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 156
  • 45739888_343812159729200_8783650261433319424_n.jpg
    45739888_343812159729200_8783650261433319424_n.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0236.jpg
    IMG_0236.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 152
Hey, sorry for digging out the old thread, but Im about to buy my first Chanel cf. I went to the boutique today, and found out the same issue. SA brought out two bags, and all threads at the sides are all kind peeking out just like op's pic.
Is that a common thing on Chanel lamakin now? Or I should find another boutique to try?
Thank you!!
From experience, if you look at my pictures above.
Don't buy any chanel bags if you see the stitching to me, it seems faulty and a rushed job. We pay for the attention to detail and quality.

I have a feeling the bags will break faster over time.
My bag has the stitches issue all over the bag.