Chanel jumbo consignment question

kate2828

Feb 19, 2017
Hi all I'm thinking very seriously about selling my jumbo black caviar with gold hardware. It is a beautiful bag but it's just not me. I've had it for the past year and have used it four times. It has mostly sat in my closet. I've decided that the bag is just not me even though I thought long and hard about it before purchasing it - it's hard to get in and out of and it is large and bulky. Anyway I'm thinking about consigning it. I am wondering what a virtually mint condition jumbo consigns for these days. I reached out to one reseller and got a quote of 2700 which I thought was very low considering I paid nearly 6000 us including tax and because it's in mint condition! At that price I definitely would not sell. I understand resellers have all sorts of costs they have to factor in when taking on a consignment but some of these commissions are a bit ridiculous if you ask me! Unfortunately neither my mother or sister want it because they each have one too (lol I probably got swept up in their hype of loving the bag). Also has anyone had any experience with Potrero and Fashionphile?

Fashionphile has always been my favorite. They almost always offer the most, and the payouts are extremely fast (if you choose a buy-out). They oftentimes list Chanel items above retail, so it can really benefit the seller with a better offer. The whole process is incredibly easy and I have never had any problems with them. I have never sold to Yoogis because the quotes I received from them were almost laughable they were so low. Ann's is nice, but the process can be longer and the prices still not as good as Fashionphile.

Fashionphile has always been my favorite. They almost always offer the most, and the payouts are extremely fast (if you choose a buy-out). They oftentimes list Chanel items above retail, so it can really benefit the seller with a better offer. The whole process is incredibly easy and I have never had any problems with them. I have never sold to Yoogis because the quotes I received from them were almost laughable they were so low. Ann's is nice, but the process can be longer and the prices still not as good as Fashionphile.
I have sold through Darcy at Opulent Habits. She takes 20% and if you put it toward another bag she only takes 10%. She is a joy to work with.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm not having high hopes that I'll get a good price on this even with a lower commission like fashionphile because it seems these days that jumbos aren't going for as much as they used to while so black or boy Chanels are selling for above retail or at retail. I hate to keep something I'm not going to use but I also don't want to sell a bag and get fifty percent of its value when it's only been used a handful of times and is only a year old. Ah well!

I would check a Fashionphile quote. Black with ghw is a common but still sought after combo. The problem is with the prices so high, mostly people looking to buy pre-loved are looking for a bargain, unless it's a rare combo. If the consignment store lists it too close or at retail, it will sit. Unfortunately with consignment fees, the higher the price gets you the most $$$, but can scare buyers off. Plus if you do a buyout, it's less $$$ to you. It's a personal thing, the best quote you can get vs. how much you are willing to let it go for.

Reactions: kate2828
you could also try the Facebook group. there's over 15K members, and you can for sure get higher than $2700. i would say for a mint condition one on there you could start at $4500-5000 range and see what happens. certainly less painful than losing over half the value.

Hi all I'm thinking very seriously about selling my jumbo black caviar with gold hardware. It is a beautiful bag but it's just not me. I've had it for the past year and have used it four times. It has mostly sat in my closet. I've decided that the bag is just not me even though I thought long and hard about it before purchasing it - it's hard to get in and out of and it is large and bulky. Anyway I'm thinking about consigning it. I am wondering what a virtually mint condition jumbo consigns for these days. I reached out to one reseller and got a quote of 2700 which I thought was very low considering I paid nearly 6000 us including tax and because it's in mint condition! At that price I definitely would not sell. I understand resellers have all sorts of costs they have to factor in when taking on a consignment but some of these commissions are a bit ridiculous if you ask me! Unfortunately neither my mother or sister want it because they each have one too (lol I probably got swept up in their hype of loving the bag). Also has anyone had any experience with Potrero and Fashionphile?
I recently received a quote for a 2016 seasonal lambskin jumbo classic flap from one of the consignors mentioned in this thread. My quote was almost double the amount you mentioned you received. [Approximatelty 76% return; granted it is brand-new with tags, however it is not black caviar with GHW, which is often the most desirable pre-loved handbag purchase.] Case in point, I strongly encourage you to reach out for a few additional quotes. :flowers:

I'm waiting on a quote but don't think I will get what I want unless I sell on eBay and don't have plans to do that because I've heard of too many scammer stories! So I think I'm just going to hold on to it and perhaps I'll grow to like it or perhaps my style will be different a decade from now. I love the look of Chanel but have decided that It's just not my personal style at this moment. I'm pretty casual with my style - espadrilles or sneakers with jeans and tee and a Goyard or BV tote. I love open totes because I like to get in and out of my bag quickly. The double flap and the turn lock are a pain for me. I don't also know what I was thinking when I bought this Chanel jumbo with gold hardware! Lol. Thanks everyone for your advice.

For what it's worth I just sold my nearly brand new jumbo to Couture USA (shop in FL but they do online quotes) and they offered me the highest amount out of several different places including yoogis, fashionphile, rebagg and another one I'm forgetting. But all were within ~$350 range, so nothing too crazy. I would just spend an hour and send it out to as many online quote places as you can, then you'll get a bunch of quotes within 2 days. Just search "sell Chanel online quote." HTH!

I am in the same boat as you and I honestly think when alot of folks talk about resale value being so good on Chanel bags they are simply going by hearsay. Or they do not clearly understand that the resale value is only good if you had the bag for about 5-10 years and kept the bag in excellent condition.

I am in a situation right now where I am trying to get rid of a brand new with tags black caviar jumbo with gold hardware. Just this week, Yoogis offered me $3400 and Fashionphile offered $4k, both offers were for direct buyout. Slap in the face for a brand new with tags bag.

Long story as to why I want to sale but with the low quotes I received im just going to end up keeping it. In my opinion the resellers overcharge for used Chanel bags and really lowball sellers with offers.

Resale is not good for Chanel unless you had the bag for quite some time in my opinion. Not a bag you can purchase and flip quickly like Hermes. Something folks may want to keep in mind.

I am in the same boat as you and I honestly think when alot of folks talk about resale value being so good on Chanel bags they are simply going by hearsay. Or they do not clearly understand that the resale value is only good if you had the bag for about 5-10 years and kept the bag in excellent condition.

I am in a situation right now where I am trying to get rid of a brand new with tags black caviar jumbo with gold hardware. Just this week, Yoogis offered me $3400 and Fashionphile offered $4k, both offers were for direct buyout. Slap in the face for a brand new with tags bag.

Long story as to why I want to sale but with the low quotes I received im just going to end up keeping it. In my opinion the resellers overcharge for used Chanel bags and really lowball sellers with offers.

Resale is not good for Chanel unless you had the bag for quite some time in my opinion. Not a bag you can purchase and flip quickly like Hermes. Something folks may want to keep in mind.

You are NEVER going to make your full money back going by consignment, they all take fees. They would have to charge more than astronomical price for your bag which they are never going to get to make their fee. Best way to get close to what you paid is to sell yourself, through Ebay, Tradsey, etc. or a private sale.