Chanel jacket alterations pricing

edsbgrl

Smile!
O.G.
Dec 14, 2005
I just came upon a vintage Chanel boucle suit but the jacket needs alterations. I needs it to be taken in about 2 sizes. Wondering if anyone knows estimates on what this may cost.

Also, if I have alts done at Chanel, are they able/will they add two missing buttons and the weighted chain missing at the bottom?

TIA!

I think you should bring it to Chanel and ask? If they take it, maybe they can also replace the buttons and chain (not too sure if this can be done, since it vintage). If they can't replace the missing buttons with the same ones, ask if they could replace ALL buttons to make them match.

You can also take it to any regular alteration shop, but they won't be able to replace anything for you (not with "Chanel" buttons and chain that is).

Sorry, don't know if I'm helping any, 'cause I never have alterations done on a Chanel piece before. But it can't hurt to call Chanel or drop by a boutique and ask.
Good luck :smile:

Reactions: ellka7
I do not believe Chanel will do a vintage piece of clothing but they may recommend a place to have it done, you might need to do ebay to get your button's and chain.

Thank you! I plan on taking the jacket to the boutique later this week.

If they can't replace the chain, any sugguestions as to where I can find an authentic one other than possiblely eBay?

I just came upon a vintage Chanel boucle suit but the jacket needs alterations. I needs it to be taken in about 2 sizes. Wondering if anyone knows estimates on what this may cost.

Also, if I have alts done at Chanel, are they able/will they add two missing buttons and the weighted chain missing at the bottom?

TIA!

Yes, Chanel boutique will do alterations on vintage items from any period. They have many types of buttons in their alterations department, so it varies if they have your specific buttons (the older gold buttons they have a lot of depending on your Chanel boutique). They can definitely take it in 2 sizes, and they know which places to let it out or take in, etc. as they know how each jacket is constructed. I'm not sure about the weighted chain; some of my jackets came with it and some came without it (new); it depends on the material of the jacket and how it's made as to whether or not they put the chain in (I have had some extremely expensive pieces come without the chain and some that were half the cost come with...so it really depends on if it's needed for the piece to hang properly). As to cost, it really depends on how much work they have to do; generally it's easier to alter down than up. The cost can be anywhere from a couple of hundred dollars to more depending on how much work needs to be done. They will provide you with an estimate before doing any work. I'd not trust anyone but Chanel to do the alterations, as they know the structure and construction of the pieces and how they should look, and they usually have amazing tailors. I'm having quite a few pieces tailored right now, and have had many alterations done in the past as well, and always been extremely happy with the work they have done. :smile:

ETA: I didn't look at the date of your post as it's after 4am here...sorry to reply to such an old thread, but hopefully someone can use the information.

I agree with Tutu shopper... only trust chanel to alter chanel RTw especially vintage. If your local shop does not have the exact missing buttons, Paris keeps a library of sorts on their buttons and your boutique may be able to order an exact match from Paris. If not, replace all the buttons with similarly sized buttons the boutique has in back in their supply. can't give you much info on cost of alteration because it varies too much according to type of work needed. If you require work on the shoulder to reduce the width etc, this is a costly alteration. hemming sleeves and taking in at the existing seams is not too costly. Good luck!! Congrats on your vintage treasure!

For Australia,
Bring shoulder in a bit, cut sleeves were roughly 1600aud in chanel store. Took 6 months for them to give me quotation (second hand jacket)
Brought it to tailor who used by chanel's store (not maison) less than half of it including fixing some loose tweed strands. Done in 2-3 weeks including refitting.

Reactions: ellka7
For Australia,
Bring shoulder in a bit, cut sleeves were roughly 1600aud in chanel store. Took 6 months for them to give me quotation (second hand jacket)
Brought it to tailor who used by chanel's store (not maison) less than half of it including fixing some loose tweed strands. Done in 2-3 weeks including refitting.
Thank you