Chanel isn’t for ‘poor’ people?

I think everybody has had both good and bad experiences with SAs. If one's attitude is that "Chanel (or whatever brand of bag, car, watch etc) isn't for poor people" then what about all the wannabees who appear to have everything--nice home, car, clothes, etc who really don't have a pot to p*ss in because they're in debt up to the eyeballs? Yet SAs suck up to them because they smell the opening of the purse strings. And if they can sell, they're doing their job.

Then you have truly wealthy people who don't desire or find value in XYZ.

Stuff is stuff. If you're in the business of selling, and a potential customer comes to you, your objective is to sell, not analyze if they are "worthy". If a SA senses the customer is not sincere or serious but is becoming a nuisance and waste of time (because some people really ARE a PITA), then delicately extricating yourself out of a situation is a great skill to have.

I have seen a SA behave cold ONCE. Story time!
I have a former friend that lives above her means and spent months consigning shoes and clothes to save for her first Chanel purchase. We used to be shopping friends, we would take an entire afternoon, drive to the city for shopping and lunch.

One afternoon we visited a boutique and I think she tried on every pair of shoes they had. Our patient, accommodating SA spent an hour with her answering questions, finding the perfect size, etc.
She left without buying a thing. She said she expected the shoes to be more comfortable for the price...

A few months later we went to a different boutique and she again planned to purchase a small piece. She decided on a gorgeous wallet and again the SA was very professional, friendly and SO patient with all of the questions she had.

A few months later, with daily use and minimal care, the corners of the wallet had started to dull - minimal, normal wear and tear.

Another six months had passed and we were nearby for lunch (we’re talking almost a year with the wallet) so she asked if we could pop into the boutique because she was disappointed and wanted to show them the issues. I agreed and pretended to browse because I wasnt sure I wanted to be involved but was tired of hearing about it and wanted to put the issue to rest. The SAs who had gathered to hear her story said the same thing I had, if you toss it into your bag a few times a day every day it will show wear. SA told her that most of her clients avoid this issue by having several wallets of different sizes/utilities. Friend found this answer offensive and started to get loud. She made it plain that she would not be happy unless she walked out of there with a brand new wallet.

The SA looked directly at her and said, “Ma’am when you buy a wallet at Chanel you are paying for the privilege of carrying something beautiful not something indestructible”. We left, she was furious and claimed she felt robbed.

I was happy SA didn't give in. Friend travels for work and tried this nonsense at every Chanel boutique she could find until someone took pity on her and sent it to be repaired for free, as you may have guessed, she was not happy with the repair.
After that, seeing a Chanel became a triggering event and she would make comments about how the brand is overrated, their sales people are rude, their quality is low - there are some people who set their expectations so high that they simply cannot be met.

I usually buy an item to use it, so I do expect wear but durability, I recently had my Prada Saraffino wallet nicked, that lasted me what? 18 years and yes, the corners did show light signs of wear, but again, using it for close to 2 decades several times a day, carrying it in the backpocket of my jeans or tossing it into a handbag, any other wallet would have disintegrated. I the darned pick pocket wouldn't have nicked it, I am sure I would have used it another 18 years, with some signs of wear, but that is patina.

If I buy silk evening shoes or a silk gown, I don't go hiking with them, if I do not want an item to show signs of use, I do not use it a lot...

I am not rich by Bill Gates or movie star measures, but I am doing OK, I work hard for my money and like certain things that are beautiful, as a principle, I never buy anything that would have me devastated if it gets damaged or stolen or where the purchase would get me into debt, it's just being a responsible adult and living within your means.

I could name you about 100 things I like and possibly could afford but I might not get the use out of it that justifies the price tag, so I admire them, there is no need to ***** about the price tag, a label has the right to ask for the price they want and I have the right to pay or not pay that price.

It has happened quite often that at one point a SA showed me a stunning item, but the price was just not for me, so I was upfront about it with "I am sure it is worth it, it is just not worth for me for the use I get out of it, mind if you show me something closer to my budget?" And none of them were snotty about it, they always appreciated that I didn't waste their time by looking at the super high end without planning to purchase.

Well, here’s another perspective. Sales associates are just people too. Whenever I encounter someone who is miserable, I think of the saying that goes like this “Be kind for everyone you meet is fighting a battle that you know nothing about”. Who knows what someone is going through? SA ‘s are no different. Financial problems, grief & death in the family, relationship problems, health problems, who knows? We ALL get our turn at problems and just maybe those who behave less than ideal need a little extra kindness?

To me it sounds like the difference between a wedding and a marriage. IMO I think grand weddings with all the fanfare and months (or years) of planning is overrated, and can border on the ridiculous (bridezillas and dear abby letters are a tell all). Takes the focus off the real treasure, which is marriage. Some people genuinely feel let down, depressed, even resentful after the wedding is over b/c it distracts from what that time should have been spent on - working on the relationship not the guest list & food. LOTS of couples end up in counseling after the big wedding b/c there is such a big letdown when reality hits, and life gets quieter, and isn't the dramatic wedding fairytale. So the question is - what is more important, process or procurement?

If the goal is to get a bag, regardless of attitudes of SA (I mean, who cares, really) I think if you walk in and say, I want XXX and let's do this, are they really going to say, well I don't think you belong here please get out? Now that most every boutique is leased, their commission is nothing ("team sales" or 1.5% for leather goods and $15/hr), they are not really incentivized to coddle customers. They also have to endure some customers having them pull 3 of the same bag out, line them up, while the customer literally counts stitches and takes measurements, then walks out empty-handed an hour later. SA's are not always wonderful, but neither are customers.

As for the same bag being shown to someone else, that customer may have reserved it (like in any H store) so that might not be a result of discrimination. Just reserves. They have lists, so if that person declines, they go down the list to the next. It's not technically "available" to the public until they've gotten declines from everyone on the list.

That's why we went to the registry office and then down to the pub with a bunch of friends... Seriously, I could not have dealt with all the guest lists, planning and all that BS, we planned to get married, not put on a stage show, plus white just is not my colour!

Haha a bag is still just a bag. If you want to carry around something indestructible then buy a pelican case LOL.
I admit Indo tend to Baby the bags I do have, in a healthy sort of way. I don’t throw them around and only use the Chanel’s for special events or parties or dinner etc where I know they will be safe from being tussled aroun etc. Having said that both Chanel’s I have were preloved. One by my aunt and one by someone else and so both have some minor wear. I do think it’s possible really to have a bag and not have any sign of wear whatsoever. May as well put it in a glass case in a museum then! I play guitar and I do have an expensive guitar, and same mentality, I got it to play not to display :smile:

Hubby plays guitar and has about 30 of them, some of the most expensive ones are the most battered ones as instruments need to be played or they really lose it and just become expensive pieces of wood and metal.

I have about 5 bags I bought from the boutique.. All from different boutiques. Yes I've been mistreated but it doesn't really bother me because i know how much those people are paid monthly for selling those bags to us. They can't even afford to buy a bag every month on their own so I don't think they can afford to be ****ty to their customers. These are expensive bags I would want to have good memories purchasing them. So if u meet ****ty people I suggest just walk away!

It's a feeling she got. . .

I've had good and bad experiences, and I never dress up nor do I give much info to SA's. I don't assume they're going to treat me poorly nor do I have a sense of entitlement. Who knows why the SA behaved the way she/he was perceived to behave, easy to just take the business elsewhere or try a new SA. Happens to the best of us everywhere, literally.

To me it sounds like the difference between a wedding and a marriage. IMO I think grand weddings with all the fanfare and months (or years) of planning is overrated, and can border on the ridiculous (bridezillas and dear abby letters are a tell all). Takes the focus off the real treasure, which is marriage. Some people genuinely feel let down, depressed, even resentful after the wedding is over b/c it distracts from what that time should have been spent on - working on the relationship not the guest list & food. LOTS of couples end up in counseling after the big wedding b/c there is such a big letdown when reality hits, and life gets quieter, and isn't the dramatic wedding fairytale. So the question is - what is more important, process or procurement?

If the goal is to get a bag, regardless of attitudes of SA (I mean, who cares, really) I think if you walk in and say, I want XXX and let's do this, are they really going to say, well I don't think you belong here please get out? Now that most every boutique is leased, their commission is nothing ("team sales" or 1.5% for leather goods and $15/hr), they are not really incentivized to coddle customers. They also have to endure some customers having them pull 3 of the same bag out, line them up, while the customer literally counts stitches and takes measurements, then walks out empty-handed an hour later. SA's are not always wonderful, but neither are customers.

As for the same bag being shown to someone else, that customer may have reserved it (like in any H store) so that might not be a result of discrimination. Just reserves. They have lists, so if that person declines, they go down the list to the next. It's not technically "available" to the public until they've gotten declines from everyone on the list.

Great analogy (even though it makes me a (happy) polygamist :P ) :tup:

Every time I read these kinds of posts, I question how much the customer's unrealistic expectations and insecurities play a role in their negative interaction with the sales staff. People get mad all the time in the LV forum because they did not get offered Champagne or macaroons, or the SA did not give them a copy of the Book, or they did not put enough ribbon on their gift box, etc.

I guess what I am saying is that I take these stories with a grain of salt.

I’ve commented on similar subjects before...

Folks who don’t come from money are sensitive about how they’re treated when it comes to anything financially related. These sensitivities make them hyper-vigilant if you will, for lack of a better term. Whether it’s guilt about a luxury purchase or indecision, their story was most likely embellished (or, misremembered) from their highly emotional state, combined with an SA who makes peanuts working for one of the most expensive fashion houses in the world.

So, I take tales like this with a grain of salt. SA’s are trained to be cold, for many reasons. People have hangups.

If someone’s a jerk, don’t buy from them.

People are human. Most of them are terrible. Luxury brand doesn’t translate into luxury service. You’re not a celebrity, no ones going to roll out the red carpet (and even then...)

Somebody in a different thread mentioned (allegedly first hand knowledge) that they're trained to be cold/mean so certain (large) segment of customers will feel compelled to prove them wrong ;)

Hi! That’s was me. High end brands have psychologists and marketing teams who put together sales training programs that exploit insecurities. To clarify, I don’t work for Chanel but do work in high end. It’s all the same. Handbags, clothes, cars. Same.