Chanel increase in value?

Chanel resale prices have taken a massive hit in the last couple of years. I remember when I first started collecting, and even FINDING a boy was impossible! All the ones on resale were bad colors or bad condition, the good ones were always well above retail. Jumbos now are under retail, even brand new on most resale sites (minus the rose gold or so black maybe). Black caviar with gold hardware, which used to the the most sought after jumbo combo, is now the most ubiquitous. You can get new/ almost new on resale for 4500-4800. Minus a few truly sought after items, Chanel has flooded the market with 10m bags a year in production, which has of course made the demand more inelastic. Quality issues, company instability and Karl gone are unfortunately not adding value right now, so I would suggest truly (and only ever) buying because you love something. Hermes still has the best resale for B/K/C but even that isn't as good as it used to be.
I totally agree on buying stuff you like instead of buying for investment purposes. It's such a shame to see Chanel having these issues nowadays. For that reason, I personally don't ser the point of buying brand new when finding classics below retail is a piece of cake. But that's another topic.

Reactions: Buttercup118
I understand that brands have always scared people off the secondary market with "what if you're buying a fake?"
And the answer was authentication services (like the one on PurseForum!)
And now the tactic is "What if it's a... super fake...? Even we can't tell the difference between our products and knock offs."
And the answer is... so they've been your century-old fashion house at its own game in less than a few decades? Gee, before you know it the superfakes will be better quality, at lower prices...

Reactions: karoline_88
I understand that brands have always scared people off the secondary market with "what if you're buying a fake?"
And the answer was authentication services (like the one on PurseForum!)
And now the tactic is "What if it's a... super fake...? Even we can't tell the difference between our products and knock offs."
And the answer is... so they've been your century-old fashion house at its own game in less than a few decades? Gee, before you know it the superfakes will be better quality, at lower prices...
Exactly! And will people stop buying the real deal when super fakes are better quality and more reasonably priced?

Due to the frequent price increases, every used classic flap I’ve sold has gone for more than I paid for it, even if it’s less than current retail value. I’ve never lost any money.

May I please know which year you bough and which year you sold your bag? Just wish to know hong long apart between buying and selling to make some money backt thanks

May I please know which year you bough and which year you sold your bag? Just wish to know hong long apart between buying and selling to make some money backt thanks

I’m sorry I can’t quite remember. I’ve sold three black classic flaps. The first one I sold I’d had for several years. It had the 24K gold played hardware. I made so much money on that one as prices for the classic flap had more than doubled by the time I listed it. The most recent one I sold, I’d had it for about three years but I listed it when it was about two years old. By then the retail value of the bag had increased by well over £1000! It took about a year to sell at the price I wanted for it. I always sell on eBay and list below current retail value, but more than what I paid for it. As long as there have been a couple of price increases since buying it and listing it for sale, you should at least get back what you paid for it - if you are patient. Hope that helps.

In Australia people seem to be a lot more smart or careful with their money. Most would not buy a designer bag preloved without a significant discount or much lower than retail. Bags are not investments but they can be worthwhile purchases if they are classic and can be used for many years or passed down to family.

Reactions: Nikki PHAN
We often hear that Chanel increase in value and Chanel is always a good investment because you can sell it and get your money back or even a profit. But I've honestly never seen a Chanel bag or SLG being sold for over retail on the second hand market where I live (Sweden). The prices are often quite low. For example, a classic flap in excellent condition, sold by a private person, would usually sell for a couple of $100 or even $1000 or so below retail. Is that truly what you would call a good investment? I'm just curious how a good investment is defined?
Of course you will lose money if you buy one and try to sell it right away, but if you buy a classic model and wait for a few years you can definitely get your money back or even a profit due to frequent price increases on the bags.

Reactions: honeybunch