Chanel in Nice, France

JenniNick

Sep 10, 2006
:wonderingHi, next Tuesday im going to Nice for a short holiday, my mum and dad have promised to buy me a Chanel bag, the problem is they don't want to pay thousands (Im only 15), I think my budget is £800, roughly $1600. Can someone please help me by telling me the general price's of Chanel bags, ie lowest price upwards,is it possible to get a bag in my budget? I really like all styles especially the Cambdon line, do they still sell them? Please Help:shrugs: :yes: If it isn't too much trouble could tyou please post just a few pics giving me an idea what I could get? Sorry to cause so much trouble, i really want a chanel bag!

Nice is so pretty this time of the year. Enjoy your holiday and do post pics of your new bag! I was in Nice for a few days on my Honeymoon and we were in walking distance to the LV store and Chanel. It was torture for my husband. He could not say no.

The Chanel store in Nice is very nice..They had a very good selection of Cambon when I was there and it was definately cheaper to buy from there than in the USA.
Not far from it is a store called Jean Charles..OMG..its the best store ever....It has ALL the best designers...clothes,shoes,and bags..I got a Prada bag,Prada coat,and kickin Gucci shoes there for almost half the price in the USA...!!
Their stores are on 6,Av De Verdun and 10,RueMassena

My husband and I recently vacationed in Nice, France. Since I live in Norway and there are no Chanel boutiques here, I was very much looking forward to my 1st visit to a Chanel store. I dressed nicely in a dress and heels, and was carrying my vintage beige clair medium flap. When we walked in, there were 3 SAs standing at the front counter chatting among themselves, and not one looked up to greet us. I was admiring some beautiful handbags, when suddenly, the security guard yelled from half-way across the store, Madam, you must stay on this side! It was quite a shock to be yelled at that way, and it was so unclassy. I had no idea what I had done wrong. Apparently I had made the mistake of standing between a large glass display case of jewelery and a wall of handbags. However, there was no indication whatsoever that it was not allowed to walk through there. I was too shocked to know how to respond. I then moved on to look at the apparel, where there was 4 SAs talking loudly and laughing among themselves with their backs turned to me. The clothing was so beautiful, but it was such a turn-off to experience such a lack of customer service. I then walked back into the handbag area-still not so much as a bonjour from anyone-and approached a SA and asked her if they had any jumbo flaps in caviar with ghw. She returned with a maxi, not a jumbo. I was a bit confused, so I asked her, is that a jumbo or a maxi? And her reply was, its the maxi jumbo. Clearly, she didnt know what she was talking about, but I just let it go, because her demeanour gave me the feeling she would be offended if I corrected her. I then asked her if any of the chanels with ghw are still gold-plated. She gave me a funny look and said, none of the chanels have ever had gold-plated hardware. I then very politely told her, well, actually, I believe the older chanels were once gold-plated, and showed her the markings on my chanel hardware, which indicate the gold-plating. She then muttered something like, well, they are not gold-plated anymore, and looked annoyed with me. Needless to say, I ended up walking out without buying a single thing. I have purchased all of my Chanels online, and have had nothing but positive experiences. But I always thought it would be a special to experience buying in a boutique. But this experience really ruined that for me. My husband counted no less than 10 SAs in the store, and there were only 4 customers. I dont see how they can expect to thrive and keep their customers with such poor service. Im curious as to whether any of you have also experienced anything like this?

A variation of this happened to me not at a Chanel boutique but at LV inside Selfridges. The security guard yelled loudly at me when I picked up a bag on the display wall & told me to put the bag down. So I kept walking around and when an SA came over to help me I asked her about his behavior. She explained that customers are not allowed behind the counter-in front of the display walls and that he shouldnt have yelled but should have asked. She was pleasant and helpful so I had no issues buying from her.

As for the Jumbo Maxi issue I have had that issue at the Rue Cambon store. For some reason the SA didn't use the same terms as the states. And so I just used generic terms. The SA who served me didn't use terms like 224, 225, 226 for the reissues either, it's small, medium, large.

Honestly I don't know how I would have handled the situation you were in. But I hope your next experience at Chanel will be better!

How disappointing. Sorry this happened. :sad: Especially since you were so looking forward to visiting a Chanel boutique. I've seen quite a few posts on this forum complaining about snobby, inattentive, and even rude SA's....so you are not alone in your experience. I don't know what I would have done. I would have been as shocked as you and left empty handed....and then I would have gone to find a nice terrace cafe to have some vino and complain about the experience for as long as my hubby would listen, lol. I hope you had a wonderful vacation though and that your next time in a Chanel boutique is more enjoyable.

Sorry about your experience!!
Unfortunately, the French are known for their snooty ways... I've had plenty of personal experience. I speak beautiful fluent French and STILL they treat me like scum.
God Bless Texas.

I am sorry to hear about your experience. :nogood:
I have been shopping in Chanel boutiques in Berlin, London-Heathrow and New York and the SAs have been very polite, friendly and very helpful.

Wow, sorry to hear. I have never been to Europe and looking forward to the day that I can travel there and shop in those boutiques. It must be a big disappointment for you.

I am from Denmark and I should say I experienced unhelpful SA every stores in France. I have only fall in love with Chanel recently so I have yet visited their store in France. I have basically stopped going to France as I can't stand them. Go buy in Spain or UK or Netherland. They have a better concept of customer service. :smile:

BTW, I think French food is overrated too! I am sure there are good food somewhere but the chance of getting serve a lousy food is much higher! I love Chanel but not the French. Very French paradox as well!

As a young Chanel enthusiast (bought my first Chanel bag at 15, am now 18) I for one know what it's like to be treated poorly by the Chanel SAs, because nobody thinks that a teenager would walk in there and actually buy something, the SAs think I'm just a waste of their time. I once walked into the Chanel boutique in Copenhagen (which has now closed) with two vintage Chanel bags where the hardware had tarnished, asking if they knew of any ways that I could have the hardware gilded or something. They didn't even take a look at the bags, but said that they've never heard of hardware tarnishing on Chanel bags and saying that mine were probably fake. I know for a fact that they both are authentic and that many people have experienced hardware tarnishing, and I still can't believe that they treated me so bad! From then on, I started only shopping Chanel on the internet and when travelling, and to ignore the rude SAs.