Chanel in italy

Dec 3, 2007
Dear all
My BF and I are going to Italy this fall, and we are visiting Rome, Florence, and Venice. I know the price in Europe for name brands are better than US, and super excited about that. I wonder if you know where are some of the best shopping places for Chanel or just for any high quality goods. Where are the outlets? Tell me all about your favorite spots!:yahoo:
Thank you all very much.

I'm so jealous! I partularly love Rome; gorgeous and memorable city. The Chanel boutique and other high end boutiques are near the Spanish Steps in Rome, near San Marcos square in Venice. Have a blast!

the shop in rome has limited stock cos there's only one shop in rome. few months ago, i went there n i just came out with a pair of earring. they do put some stock behind, so pls ask anything specific you want if they are not on display.

Haha, Saks4me, thanks and I am sure I will have a blast :yahoo:
lomay, thank you very much for the insight :flowers:
Ladies, how about outlets, anything good? I am also interested in Balenciaga and Hermes. Thanks

I don't know about outlets. My trips to Europe are never long enough to deviate from the itinerary. I'll be lucky doing any shopping! Yes, the Rome Chanel does not have much stock - usually onies.

Also, don't know if this is your first time there, but Italians are big on cash transactions b/c the credit card companies charge a butt-load on them. We had issues with using the ATM out there (even though we called ahead); we managed to withdraw just once! Luckily, I had a couple hundred US dollars on me... otherwise, we would have traveling meagerly. Just a few tips I've learned. A moonlight stroll along the Spanish Steps and the Trivoli fountain is very romantic!

I personally prefer the shop in Florence. It's quieter. I found the one in Rome is packed with tourists. I've never been the one in Venice. I suspect it's also packed with tourists.

Thanks a lot, saks4me. Wouldn't know about the cash thing, thanks for the tip! Just wondering, is it very scary to carry a lot of cash though? Precautions? BTW, what's a best bag to bring to this trip? Any chanel bag?
I don't know about outlets. My trips to Europe are never long enough to deviate from the itinerary. I'll be lucky doing any shopping! Yes, the Rome Chanel does not have much stock - usually onies.

Also, don't know if this is your first time there, but Italians are big on cash transactions b/c the credit card companies charge a butt-load on them. We had issues with using the ATM out there (even though we called ahead); we managed to withdraw just once! Luckily, I had a couple hundred US dollars on me... otherwise, we would have traveling meagerly. Just a few tips I've learned. A moonlight stroll along the Spanish Steps and the Trivoli fountain is very romantic!

Thanks a lot, saks4me. Wouldn't know about the cash thing, thanks for the tip! Just wondering, is it very scary to carry a lot of cash though? Precautions? BTW, what's a best bag to bring to this trip? Any chanel bag?

I usually wear my most non-descript clothes / bags / shoes while traveling. A bag with a top zipper! I don't want to draw attention to myself. And the pick-pocketers can smell tourists; I have never been a victim -- always stay vigilant. The whole cash thing is more for the restaurants / bottles of wine / etc. The named-brand stores like Prada, Chanel, will of course take credit cards. The smaller shops prefer cash. I usually have an extra couple hundred on me; call your credit card / bank ahead of time -- they need to know the cities you will be traveling. Bring your passport everywhere; I tucked it in my clutch which is worn beneath my jacket. Creates a big bulky lump but no one come come close to me!!!

Wear comfy shoes, esp in Rome. The cobblestones nearly injured us 2 years ago; not meant for heels. Pack light if possible, since Venice has a ton of small bridges to pass and carrying heavy luggage is not ideal.

So jealous! Have fun!

Thanks a million, saks4me, for answering my million questions! I am also interested in some backstreet shopping for local leather, lace.... goods. Any advice? anyone? Oh, how do you claim the tax refund thing when you leave?

Thanks a million, saks4me, for answering my million questions! I am also interested in some backstreet shopping for local leather, lace.... goods. Any advice? anyone? Oh, how do you claim the tax refund thing when you leave?

No worries; I like to share my knowledge -- esp. what works and what does not work!

Backstreet shopping? Please clarify. In Venice, they are known for moreno stones and carnival masks. Look for the Made in Venice / Italy; avoid the rip-offs of Made in China.

Lastly, if you see something in the store and you want it, just get it. The probability of you going back to the same store is low. We learned our lesson in Rome when we saw a T-shirt he wanted to get but never went back nor remembered where it was.

When you spend X-amount at a store, the shop manager should provide you with the detax info. Once you are leaving the EUR nations, have the detaxed items readily available for inspection. They stamp the forms and you drop the forms off in a mail box in the airport. Do a search, there are threads regarding the process. Good lucK!

Thank you very much! LOL, the "backstreet shopping" was a phrase I just learned from a travel book, haha :P. I think it means local goods that are not sold in the major shopping areas right next to LV or Chanel. I think they are for example high quality leather goods, carnival masks as you mentioned. Just stores that are located away from the main attractions, and there are usually more "bargains" (not really a word exsits in Europe I guess =). and I wonder if anyone knows some of these streets .
And the advice on gettig something I like right then right there is wise, since I can still feel the regret the last time I let something pass.....

hi gigi, based on my trip on last nov, i think the best place to get the most complete chanel collections is in rome and venice =) i love venice store! have fuuunnn in your trip! i would love to go back there!

I usually wear my most non-descript clothes / bags / shoes while traveling. A bag with a top zipper! I don't want to draw attention to myself. And the pick-pocketers can smell tourists; I have never been a victim -- always stay vigilant. The whole cash thing is more for the restaurants / bottles of wine / etc. The named-brand stores like Prada, Chanel, will of course take credit cards. The smaller shops prefer cash. I usually have an extra couple hundred on me; call your credit card / bank ahead of time -- they need to know the cities you will be traveling. Bring your passport everywhere; I tucked it in my clutch which is worn beneath my jacket. Creates a big bulky lump but no one come come close to me!!!

Wear comfy shoes, esp in Rome. The cobblestones nearly injured us 2 years ago; not meant for heels. Pack light if possible, since Venice has a ton of small bridges to pass and carrying heavy luggage is not ideal.

So jealous! Have fun!
saks4me is right. don't dress too fancily. There are lots of pickpockets in Southern Italy. When I was in Rome, I met a few trying to sneak my purse! But I was already warned by travel books to be careful so I was very alert and nothing was stolen luckily.