Chanel Hardware/chains: Does it fade/tarnish over time?

Hi all,
I just went Chanel (Singapore) today to order the jumbo flap with gold hw. I causally asked the SA that i read in forum that the gold is 22k plated.She looked very surprised and immediately said NO. She said gold is so expensive now and it's impossible (and this is her first time hearing) that the gold hw is 22k plated....so who is right? is the chain indeed 22k plated?

If the CC has a goldmark of any kind stamped into it, it means it is plated. Probably only the CC though. The stamp is an internationally recognised standard, although different companies use different designs.

^ I remember there was a seperate thread saying that there are several markings on the CC and someone mentioned that it might be different gold plating...was this ever cleared up or is all gold CC's 22k (except the brush metal ones)?

I think the 22K plating is reserved for the Timeless Classic flaps. Basically all the flaps that are not seasonal. I wouldn't doubt though the degree or quality of the plating has changed throughout the years because gold is so valuable now. I just HOPE they never ever EVER EVER resort to using golden brass (smelly tarnish-prone ugly) brass - like how LV hardware is.

This is not confirmed but solely my opinion about the chains: I don't think the chains are 22K plated, just the CCs. It makes sense to me because the CCs are what the buyer/gawker sees and it serves as the advertisement for the brand. just my opinion.

I see alot of vintage Chanels that look like they have been worn alot at resale or consignment stores and the gold still looks like bright yellow gold with scratches bc gold is a soft metal but the color stays.

I think the 22K plating is reserved for the Timeless Classic flaps. Basically all the flaps that are not seasonal. I wouldn't doubt though the degree or quality of the plating has changed throughout the years because gold is so valuable now. I just HOPE they never ever EVER EVER resort to using golden brass (smelly tarnish-prone ugly) brass - like how LV hardware is.

This is not confirmed but solely my opinion about the chains: I don't think the chains are 22K plated, just the CCs. It makes sense to me because the CCs are what the buyer/gawker sees and it serves as the advertisement for the brand. just my opinion.

I see alot of vintage Chanels that look like they have been worn alot at resale or consignment stores and the gold still looks like bright yellow gold with scratches bc gold is a soft metal but the color stays.

I have a seasonal flap, the 08 evening star in white patent and the hardware also has a stamp but it is the square stamp. So I guess that the gold plating is on select classic flaps.

I believe that the chains may also be gold plated considering how much we are paying for the bag. If it were coated brass like LV then the chains would tarnish much faster...my LV's from 3 years ago has small tarnish spots. I do think that the chain may be more prone to wear since it rubs when you're using the bag and if the plating wears off then it would tarnish...

moofoo: the Chanel SA's really aren't the most knowledgable sometimes! I asked a SA about the size change in the 227 reissues recently and she had no idea!

Gold (or gold plate) doesn't tarnish much -- think about your jewelry.
As to the plate wearing off .. I am thinking of all the vintage Chanel bags I have seen and I can only think of one that showed through on the chain and it was 25-30 years old!

Reactions: luci123456
Gold (or gold plate) doesn't tarnish much -- think about your jewelry.
As to the plate wearing off .. I am thinking of all the vintage Chanel bags I have seen and I can only think of one that showed through on the chain and it was 25-30 years old!

Hi. As per my previous post on this, chain tarnish and plating wear can occur on any metal and Chanel acknowledge this. Climate is a factor, as is use and acidity. Chain bags that go through ring holes are particularly subject to chain wear. The chain sliding through the hole is bound to mark the metal eventually and the plating will wear down. Bags with no chain wear may well have seen very little use in their lifespan, older bags with no chain wear but leather surface wear have had the chains regilded or replaced. I have a lot of very old bags. Some have chain wear, some do not.
_
Chanel mention in their little black care book " The metal parts of your handbag are gilded with an alloy containing 24 carat gold, which is sometimes sensitive to sea air and the acidity of the skin and may eventually wear off. Clasps, chains and other metal parts can be re-gilded. Ask your Chanel Boutique for an estimate". I think that pretty much sums it up that it is possible and Chanel acknowledge it. This information comes from my carebook with the black cover and gold edge.

One of mine has. My navy blue patent reissue:sad: The chain as well as the clasp have the matte finish wore off. So it looks shiny as well as matte. I called Chanel they said $300+ for new HW. I am kinda bummed because the purse is not that old. It came out a few years ago. 5-6 yrs ago maybe?

One of mine has. My navy blue patent reissue:sad: The chain as well as the clasp have the matte finish wore off. So it looks shiny as well as matte. I called Chanel they said $300+ for new HW. I am kinda bummed because the purse is not that old. It came out a few years ago. 5-6 yrs ago maybe?

Oooh. 5 years old. I'd be bummed too! Unless it is a design feature to look old. Older bags have much more licence to look their age.

Reactions: monecap
so junction to this question....has anyone had any problems with the leather on the classic straps cracking, peeling, and/or breaking?
Good question.

Based on my experience owning lots of very old Chanels ( all the classic straps have the same basic construction of leather stitched and then woven through gold plated chains)

• Never seen breaking.
  • Have seen curling of leather at the tips of the join (where one bit is lapped over the other in very old bags),
  • tiny bit of peeling on some bags on wear points on the chain (eg around holes, at the top of the shoulder point where it can rub) and
  • cracking, again from repeated use, oils from hands and everyday life can seep into the natural lines within the leather surface. If it dries out, it would appear to be cracking.

Hi there.. I am planning to get a reissue bag with gold HW.. It looked really beautiful the ones i see on the street.. the chains are really golden and shiny. But somehow when i want to purchase one in the store.. the ones the sales show me doesnt look as gold..they look like brass colour to me..(fading gold)

I wonder why is that?
is it because every season the colour of the chains are different? or they become more gold-ie and shiny after you start using it??

many thanks

my vintage chanel backpack chain straps actually turns dull in gold and they actually "algae-ed" at the back of the chain (where it is in contact with the body). anyone knows how much it costs to get the chains replaced in the boutique?

my vintage chanel backpack chain straps actually turns dull in gold and they actually "algae-ed" at the back of the chain (where it is in contact with the body). anyone knows how much it costs to get the chains replaced in the boutique?

I don't quite understand the term algae-ed. Do you mean
the leather went soft and and slimy or
do you meant the chains went a bit green?

If it is the first, probably a Chanel store is the answer.
If it is the second, you can clean it with a gold polishing cloth if they are bright shiny vintage chains. If they are brushed gold style, then I am not sure.
I use a Town Talk Polish Co Ltd "Gold Polishing Cloth" It cost me around $5 in a department store in Japan. It works really nicely on my gold chains.

If the metal has corroded, then you are talking about replacing chains.