Chanel Gabrielle Hobo

Eastwind

Dec 4, 2018
Hi guys! I've been thinking about purchasing the small Gabrielle hobo but I'm hesitant due to a few things. I am looking for a forever bag that won't go out of style in a few years. I want a bag that I can wear casually everyday and also dress it up. Something that can go from day to night. The gabrielle fulfills all these needs. I know the gabrielle is a classic but I've mix feelings about it after doing some research. It's the newest classic so it's really not as classic as the boy bag or the double flap. I've seen people call it the pad bag because the bottom of the bag is in the shape of a pad. Many people find the bag ugly. I know I shouldn't care about other people's opinions and if I love it, I should get it. However I dan't help doubt the longevity of the bag due to these reviews. What do you think about the bag? do you think Chanel will eventually discontinue it and it will be forgotten and lost in history?

Hi guys! I've been thinking about purchasing the small Gabrielle hobo but I'm hesitant due to a few things. I am looking for a forever bag that won't go out of style in a few years. I want a bag that I can wear casually everyday and also dress it up. Something that can go from day to night. The gabrielle fulfills all these needs. I know the gabrielle is a classic but I've mix feelings about it after doing some research. It's the newest classic so it's really not as classic as the boy bag or the double flap. I've seen people call it the pad bag because the bottom of the bag is in the shape of a pad. Many people find the bag ugly. I know I shouldn't care about other people's opinions and if I love it, I should get it. However I dan't help doubt the longevity of the bag due to these reviews. What do you think about the bag? do you think Chanel will eventually discontinue it and it will be forgotten and lost in history?
I got the small Gabrielle Hobo and I love it but I can’t personally call it a classic bag !
It’s more of an edgy bag in my opinion .
I’m not a fan of the classic flap , my first Chanel was a rectangular mini, then Gabrielle and my last was 2.55 WOC.
The classic 2.55 reissue is a Classic that I consider purchasing.

Reactions: C.Ly
I also have small hobo in beige and black. To me it is a newer classic, so fresh yet casual that doesn't scream Chanel. As MahaM mentioned if you want a true classic go for classic flap or reissue. They are very different and personally I couldn't wear the classic flap everyday but somehow the Gabrielle goes with everything and it is really comfortable!

Reactions: C.Ly and MahaM
I have a small hobo GB, and I love her so much, even though it is not considered a true classic now due to the fact that it is been launched for just a few years. It is normal that some people do not like it. Some people do not like the boys, or even the CF either. There are so many factors making people like or dislike something. I personally think GB is so unique, an amazing iconic piece ever designed by KL. Honestly, I do not know how long the GB will stay, but I know I have been so happy with her since day one. I think the name Gabrielle says something. I really do not believe it will be lost in the history. Instead, I think it is a legend :smile: To be honest, I mostly buy only the classic ones, but I just need to have the GB. Have fun choosing your GB!!!

Thanks guys! I'm going to visit Chanel and try it on and see what I think. I already have a classic flap but it's just too big for my day to day needs, which is why I'm on the hunt for something else. I was so close to purchasing a mini reissue but then I discovered the GB and it appealed to me so much more!

Last edited:
I just got my first Chanel bag, and while I was choosing I thought about a Gabrielle in the small along with a Large or Medium Boy. I ultimately went with my gut and saved up very diligently and got the super expensive Classic Flap in the medium because i knew the latter is a TRUE classic, and I would never second guess my choice. I love the Gabrielle and the Boy, but I knew if I got them that I would always struggle with the fear you're expressing in your post. All this is to say, if you feel like you're going to second guess yourself now, you probably will.

The Gabrielle gets a lot of hate on tpf and I think the people who really love the bag enjoy theirs and don't bother defending it anymore. It's a classic hobo style and is more under the radar than most chanel bags other than the reissue. It suited my style more and I bought mine before I bought the classic flap. However, with these crazy price increases, if you ever want a classic flap (new), I would probably get that first if you're concerned about longevity. If you just want a bag with lower cost per wear, then I would definitely pick the Gabrielle. I got mine in so black and it literally elevates every outfit without screaming attention. Good luck with your choice!

I am on waitlist for the medium before possible price increase for it. But I am deciding between the gabby in black, 2.55 mini reissue in beige or waiting for next season mini in beige. I also need help!

Thanks guys! I'm going to visit Chanel and try it on and see what I think. I already have a classic flap but it's just too big for my day to day needs, which is why I'm on the hunt for something else. I was so close to purchasing a mini reissue but then I discovered the GB and it appealed to me so much more!

Good luck! Get the bag you’re most excited about.

I also almost bought the mini reissue before falling in love and getting the small gabrielle instead. The mini reissue is very functional but I just wasn’t that excited by the bag... maybe I’ll wait for a seasonal color or style that knocks my socks off.
The Gabrielle on the other hand I’ve been wearing almost non-stop. The chains are such a statement but doesn’t shout Chanel to the uninitiated ;)

If you already have a classic flap, maybe be more adventurous with your next bag?

Just FYI - the Gabrielle might not work for a super formal occasion. Also resale value is much better on the small size.

Reactions: Bernbern