Chanel Flap (Reissue) alternatives?

jade

O.G.
Jan 15, 2006
I would love some help finding the right bag that is in the vein of a Chanel flap bag - but not Chanel.

For some quick context - I love the 2.55 Reissue bags, but in reality Chanel is a little to ostentatious for me! I go back and forth on grabbing one on resale and realize I just wouldn't carry it. So I can just look from afar. :biggrin:

That being said, I think it is a great style of bag, that serves a great niche, and is a gap in my bag wardrobe. And I have picked up similar bags over the years, and used them, but my bag taste has evolved, and I know what I need in the current incarnation of this shape for me:
  • medium sized black bag
  • crossbody and shoulder carry options
  • chain strap (partial or full - doesn't matter) for dressiness
  • gold toned hardware (maybe gunmetal - not silver)
  • minimal branding (I love the reissue even more because it is more discreet)
  • textured finish - could be quilted, could be snake or reptile, subtly studded, or stingray; just not "plain" smooth or pebbled leather
  • budget up to $2500-ish it is not firm
I have tried a few different bags that didn't work for various reasons - the closest one I got was a coach style that is great, but the strap is a little flaky! And I am hit or miss on the gunmetal finishes, they do not always seem to be very permanent. Coach Parker was really close, but failed because the turnlock is annoying. I have a Mulberry Cheyne - also close but too plain, the strap is not crossbody friendly, and the clasp is sharp. Akris is too plain.

What brands and models should I be checking out. I am open to both new and pre-loved. This isn't urgent, so I can casually look till the right one pops up. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Reactions: 880

O.G.
Aug 31, 2008
Possibly balenciaga or bottega. IMO, these two brands are beautiful, high quality and nice design, but don’t hold resale value well. So, you can get great deals Via fashionphile or other recommended reseller. I also want to say that vintage Hermes used to do medium shoulder bags and can be attractively priced (im thinking half your budget). I’m currently in love with vintage trim 35 and I’m debating whether to get a strap made to create a crossbody.
forNIB retail, I’m not as familiar with your price point (I skew either lower or higher), so I’ll wait to see what other TPFers chime in! A lower price point than you list could include some shoulder bags from YSL, Gucci and possibly Dior. .. happy hunting for your perfect bag! :biggrin:

Reactions: jade

jade

O.G.
Jan 15, 2006
Possibly balenciaga or bottega. IMO, these two brands are beautiful, high quality and nice design, but don’t hold resale value well. So, you can get great deals Via fashionphile or other recommended reseller. I also want to say that vintage Hermes used to do medium shoulder bags and can be attractively priced (im thinking half your budget). I’m currently in love with vintage trim 35 and I’m debating whether to get a strap made to create a crossbody.
forNIB retail, I’m not as familiar with your price point (I skew either lower or higher), so I’ll wait to see what other TPFers chime in! A lower price point than you list could include some shoulder bags from YSL, Gucci and possibly Dior. .. happy hunting for your perfect bag! :biggrin:
Diorama is a contender! If I can ever find the right one. :biggrin: I need to better scope Bottega - I though the Olimpia Knot was the one, but I can't remember if it had too many compartments or was oddly too deep. It was one or both of those problems, but they must have more styles. I kinda like the Chain Cassette but the chain is too big! It is so much like Goldilocks! :biggrin: I wonder if there is some old school Gucci that might work...now the Gs are just too big for me.

• Love
Reactions: 880

jade

O.G.
Jan 15, 2006
Oooh, it looks like Loewe has tweaked the Barcelona with multiple straps now! I have liked this bag for a while but wanted a little bit more of a dressier option....

earthygirl

Apr 20, 2018
I would love some help finding the right bag that is in the vein of a Chanel flap bag - but not Chanel.

For some quick context - I love the 2.55 Reissue bags, but in reality Chanel is a little to ostentatious for me! I go back and forth on grabbing one on resale and realize I just wouldn't carry it. So I can just look from afar. :biggrin:

That being said, I think it is a great style of bag, that serves a great niche, and is a gap in my bag wardrobe. And I have picked up similar bags over the years, and used them, but my bag taste has evolved, and I know what I need in the current incarnation of this shape for me:
  • medium sized black bag
  • crossbody and shoulder carry options
  • chain strap (partial or full - doesn't matter) for dressiness
  • gold toned hardware (maybe gunmetal - not silver)
  • minimal branding (I love the reissue even more because it is more discreet)
  • textured finish - could be quilted, could be snake or reptile, subtly studded, or stingray; just not "plain" smooth or pebbled leather
  • budget up to $2500-ish it is not firm
I have tried a few different bags that didn't work for various reasons - the closest one I got was a coach style that is great, but the strap is a little flaky! And I am hit or miss on the gunmetal finishes, they do not always seem to be very permanent. Coach Parker was really close, but failed because the turnlock is annoying. I have a Mulberry Cheyne - also close but too plain, the strap is not crossbody friendly, and the clasp is sharp. Akris is too plain.

What brands and models should I be checking out. I am open to both new and pre-loved. This isn't urgent, so I can casually look till the right one pops up. Any ideas?
I realize that you said that Chanel is ostentatious for you and I completely get that. I am selective with where and in what situations I carry my Chanel bags with the cc logo. However, when I carry my reissues I don’t think twice. The reissue in the 225 or 226 size will fulfill all of those requirements you listed above (except for the price unless you’re willing to compromise on the condition of the preloved bag). It is also the most classic version of the flap bag style. It is more classic than the classic flap as the reissue 2.55 was the original design by coco herself. No bag in my closet is as versatile as this bag so for me it is well worth the money. It is subtle as well...pretty much nobody recognizes it as a Chanel bag in real life ...unless they are luxe bag lovers also.

If I haven’t convinced you to get the Reissue, you may want to consider the ysl loulou bag in the small size. Well made, price is more reasonable, and it‘s versatile. The only thing that may be a con for you is the obvious logo, nonetheless it is a beautiful flap bag.

good luck!

jade

O.G.
Jan 15, 2006
I realize that you said that Chanel is ostentatious for you and I completely get that. I am selective with where and in what situations I carry my Chanel bags with the cc logo. However, when I carry my reissues I don’t think twice. The reissue in the 225 or 226 size will fulfill all of those requirements you listed above (except for the price unless you’re willing to compromise on the condition of the preloved bag). It is also the most classic version of the flap bag style. It is more classic than the classic flap as the reissue 2.55 was the original design by coco herself. No bag in my closet is as versatile as this bag so for me it is well worth the money. It is subtle as well...pretty much nobody recognizes it as a Chanel bag in real life ...unless they are luxe bag lovers also.
You are like my friend. She is like - just get the reissue. You like that one! LOL (She is much more trendy in her Chanel love - she has a graffiti flap bag!) I love the clasp on that one and it is of course totally subtle. But of course it would be carrying around an extra fancy bag. I am forever on the fence! But you are right - it does fit the bill the most and of course is very pretty! I am also back and forth on the YSLs. They look lovely but the logo sometimes screams! Can I get a black logo with gold hardware. :biggrin:

I totally like to fly under the radar with a fancy bag! But maybe I am the only one who spots the reissues like a hawk.

Joule

Jan 14, 2016
I feel this post so much.
I am with you - LOVE the silhouette of the Reissue, but it's far too recognizable for me to be comfortable wearing it. I instead have two BV Olimpias in different sizes and colors; they scratched that itch and have become some of my most-worn and best-loved bags.

• Love
Reactions: 880 and jade

jade

O.G.
Jan 15, 2006
I feel this post so much.
I am with you - LOVE the silhouette of the Reissue, but it's far too recognizable for me to be comfortable wearing it. I instead have two BV Olimpias in different sizes and colors; they scratched that itch and have become some of my most-worn and best-loved bags.
This one is also one up for consideration. I like the Olimpia Knot - I love hardware...but was on the fence about the depth of the larger size. Gonna have to play around with measurements and see how I feel compared to other bags I have!

It is tricky because I really love the Reissue as well! It feels like what Chanel represents has changed a lot for me over the last few years, and I am not exactly sure why. That is perhaps a topic for another thread! I wonder how I would feel if I would have gotten one 10 years ago and still had it now. :P

Reactions: Joule
Feb 9, 2019
A few options: Ferragamo Gancini flap bag. Sorry for not posting links but you can find it on the Ferragamo website by typing the name in the search bar. This is quite a dressy bag, and most of their bags are fully leather lined.

Louis Vuitton Vavin: Comes in a few different sizes just like the Gancini bag. Empreinte leather, gold hardware.

Also, I like the Mulberry Darley in black quilting and gold hardware but it only seems available in the small size, which for me was too small. All these options may be more dressy than the reissue but if I can think of any other options, I will post them here later.

• Love

IntheOcean

Authenticator
Apr 4, 2018
I recommend Prada, they have quite a few nice quilted options. Same with Dior, Gucci, YSL.

But with the budget you have, isn't it more logical to just get a Reissue? I'm all for inconspicuous bags, but that's what the Reissue is. To most people who aren't familiar with designer brands, it would just look like a high-quality classic bag. Even with the brands I mentioned, most of them sport even bigger logos than the tiny Chanel on the turnlock.

You only live once, wouldn't it make sense to spend more time enjoying beautiful things and less time worrying about what people think about you?

earthygirl

Apr 20, 2018
You are like my friend. She is like - just get the reissue. You like that one! LOL (She is much more trendy in her Chanel love - she has a graffiti flap bag!) I love the clasp on that one and it is of course totally subtle. But of course it would be carrying around an extra fancy bag. I am forever on the fence! But you are right - it does fit the bill the most and of course is very pretty! I am also back and forth on the YSLs. They look lovely but the logo sometimes screams! Can I get a black logo with gold hardware. :biggrin:

I totally like to fly under the radar with a fancy bag! But maybe I am the only one who spots the reissues like a hawk.
I think you spot them like a hawk, because you are a bag lover like me! Most people only recognize monogram bags and those with a visible logo as being luxury bags. I have the toy loulou and yes I do feel it is “ louder” than my Reissue even though it’s less expensive and a smaller bag. Trust me when I say this..there is no other bag that is as timeless as the Reissue. There are bags that have been inspired by the reissue. It’s fine to settle for another bag but if you don’t scratch that itch for the reissue, it’ll likely remain. Of course if you absolutely love another flap bag, that is a different story. It just seems like you want the reissue but are worried about appearing bougie. You could order a reissue ( or any bag you’re considering) from fashionphile to try out with your wardrobe and see how you feel about it. I did this with the classic flap and realized very quickly that it was not The bag for me. Sometimes trying a bag on at the boutique is not enough.

One more thing... the reissue (and this is true for a lot of my Chanels) can be dressed up or down very easily. If I could only keep one bag in my collection it would be the reissue 225 black with ghw, because it is so versatile. I use my Loewe puzzles more often, but the reissue would win because of its versatility.

• Love

earthygirl

Apr 20, 2018
I recommend Prada, they have quite a few nice quilted options. Same with Dior, Gucci, YSL.

But with the budget you have, isn't it more logical to just get a Reissue? I'm all for inconspicuous bags, but that's what the Reissue is. To most people who aren't familiar with designer brands, it would just look like a high-quality classic bag. Even with the brands I mentioned, most of them sport even bigger logos than the tiny Chanel on the turnlock.

You only live once, wouldn't it make sense to spend more time enjoying beautiful things and less time worrying about what people think about you?
Yes! Exactly! Life is short, don’t deny yourself!!!!