Chanel flap bag - Caviar or lamb skin, medium or jumbo?

parisianxchic

Jun 19, 2015
Hi everyone

I'm buying my first flap for my 30th and need help. I intend on keeping it for as long as possible.

I like the look of the lamb skin but how does it look over time? Also does it scratch easily and is it as delicate as what everyone is saying it to be.

I also need help with sizing! I'm torn between medium or jumbo.

Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone

I'm buying my first flap for my 30th and need help. I intend on keeping it for as long as possible.

I like the look of the lamb skin but how does it look over time? Also does it scratch easily and is it as delicate as what everyone is saying it to be.

I also need help with sizing! I'm torn between medium or jumbo.

Thanks in advance!

Congratulations!
I need more info to give an opinion.
Do you want it more for an everyday bag or more for parties and going out to dinner?
If you want it for an everyday bag how much stuff do you like to carry?
What is your overall style? Feminine? Edgy? Classic? Trendy? Casual?
Lambskin is not too delicate if you plan to use it for a party/going out bag, especially if you choose the M/L over the Jumbo.

Reactions: BagLadyT
Congratulations!
I need more info to give an opinion.
Do you want it more for an everyday bag or more for parties and going out to dinner?
If you want it for an everyday bag how much stuff do you like to carry?
What is your overall style? Feminine? Edgy? Classic? Trendy? Casual?
Lambskin is not too delicate if you plan to use it for a party/going out bag, especially if you choose the M/L over the Jumbo.

I would be using it more for parties and going out to dinner. My overall style is classic and maybe feminine..

I would like to Cary my wallet, keys, phone and make up.

So are you saying that it won't easily scratch? Or lose its shape?

Do you think it ages okay?

Last edited:
I would be using it more for parties and going out to dinner. My overall style is classic and maybe feminine..

I would like to Cary my wallet, keys, phone and make up.

So are you saying that it won't easily scratch? Or lose its shape?

Do you think it ages okay?

I think either can work for you, but I would recommend M/L as it is more dressy/feminine and less likely to scratch or get rubbed corners since it is significantly smaller. If you are reasonably careful and don't overstuff your bag lambskin should not get scratched easily or lose its shape. Most likely over time it will get some tiny scratches though. If that bothers you then I would suggest M/L caviar.

Hi! Advanced happy birthday!

I have a M/L caviar and when I got it, I thought that maybe I should've gotten lambskin because I like the look of it more. However, the first time I used my bag, some people bumped into me (I was malling and it wasn't even that crowded). That consoled me a lot. I realized that even if I took care of my bag and tried to keep it as scratch free as possible, other people wouldn't necessarily think the same way. I'm happy with caviar because it definitely is low-maintenance and would probably wear better over time.

As for the size, I think M/L would be better. The jumbo is simply too heavy. The weight of the M/L is a little hefty as is (especially if you've been carrying it for a while) so take that into consideration.
Either way, good luck with your decision! Just choose whichever one is best for your lifestyle! Happy 30th birthday and I hope to see a reveal thread from you soon! :heart:

My personal preference is lambskin jumbo, you have to baby it a bit but to me it's worth it. If you want more of a perfect evening bag I would go with the medium though. Just depends on how well you want to and do take care of your bags.

I know so many talk about how delicate lambskin is and it almost prevented me from purchasing my lambskin wallet. I was thinking there is no way a lambskin wallet will be ok moving around in my backpack (also Chanel and lambskin). My wallet still looks new. I have lambskin and caviar bags and I love them all. I do take care with my bags but under reasonable circumstances lambskin holds up just fine. Buy what you like, take care with it, use Caddilac leather care on it, and you should be just fine.

If it's for parties and dinners then would suggest m/l, provided your wallet isn't too big as a long wallet would pretty much take up most of the space. In that size, lamb in dark color should be fine. Good luck choosing! :smile:

I'm a caviar girl, both in terms of looks and for durability. I know a lot of people prefer the look of lambskin, but I think it can look more "dull" (referring specifically to the sheen, not whether the leather is boring).

I think each person also has a different idea of whether a bag shows wear/tear, the same way people have different standards for what "flaws" are acceptable on a new bag. (Some barely inspect the bag, whereas others go inch by inch.) I consider myself on the pickier end, for sure, so I know that if my lambskin gets even minorly scratched, that would be annoying to me. Do you think you'll hate any sort of wear on your bag, or would it not be a big deal unless it's something very noticeable? If it's the former, then lambskin would cause you a headache, even if you like the look.

In terms of sizing, I have both sizes and use both! As others have said, jumbo is more of a daily use bag whereas M/L is better to go out. I wouldn't take my jumbos to a wedding or evening event just due to size.

My first classic flap was an m/l lambskin with shw about 10 years ago. I thought it was the most beautiful bag as soon as I saw it, and to be honest was not as educated as everyone is today via forums like TPF. Last year I was in store trying reissues and another customer picked up my bag thinking it was stock, she loved how puffy the quilts were and seeing my bag and hearing how old it is made her decide to get lamb over caviar. But, a few weeks ago, I bought a caviar version. I realised that I mainly used my lamb for weekends, or evenings and wanted an everyday bag for work; I travel a lot and needed something I can pop into a tote and not fuss or worry. I don't worry about having both given the age of my lamb and the much lower price it was at the time (I decided to get the caviar now fearing another price increase). Re size, I am 5'2 and the jumbo was too big on me, looking more like a work bag thus I prefer the m/l, 255 and mini's. it's such a big purchase, perhaps make a special trip to a larger boutique and try on the sizes. They may not have the leather/hardware that you want but you will be able to see the sizes and which suits you best. Good luck!

Reactions: BUIGOVA