Chanel Flap - are the flaps not completely straight?

Pennypen

Sep 16, 2019
Hi everyone!

I go on this forum often and find that a lot of people post about Chanel bags having flaws. Some are very insignificant while others are not, like loose stitches or lopsided flaps. I feel I’ve gotten more nervous about purchasing Chanel bags since they so often have flaws.

I purchased a medium flap the other day that I inspected really closely in store. I thought that the flap itself was perfectly straight and well aligned however when I got home I realized it’s actually not, and the reason it looked perfect in store was that the chain was tucked in lifting the flap a bit.

I realize that it’s a MINOR imperfection, on the left side it’s a bit higher placed than the right side (see pictures). It’s literally just a few millimetres. Some of you probably think this is silly. But this is only my second Chanel bag (my first one has a perfectly aligned flap but had other issues with it).

So, I guess, my question is - is it normal for the flap not to be entirely straight? Or is this a flaw, as in, is the flap lopsided?

So thankful for any advice! It’s a big purchase for me so I just want to be sure I got a good bag:smile:

FD558439-F734-4FD9-8EDD-D4B4C9ECD1B2.jpeg

7B58818D-7039-41C7-80AB-F40F92421905.jpeg

Reactions: Namwan-

Lookelou

Jan 13, 2019
I personally think your bag looks beautiful. it does not appear askew to me. It is soooo slight, that I dont think it would ever be noticed- especially when wearing and moving. I feel like we all need to remember that these are just bags- what is making us expect perfection out of these bags is that they cost sooo much, and for many of us it is a big financial decision. but again- just a bag. I think your bag is perfection! the color is so pretty and unique in a good way! I think it is a classic. I would hold on to it and wear it to death !!! Enjoy it- you found a beautiful bag!

Lookelou

Jan 13, 2019
I personally think your bag looks beautiful. it does not appear askew to me. It is soooo slight, that I dont think it would ever be noticed- especially when wearing and moving. I feel like we all need to remember that these are just bags- what is making us expect perfection out of these bags is that they cost sooo much, and for many of us it is a big financial decision. but again- just a bag. I think your bag is perfection! the color is so pretty and unique in a good way! I think it is a classic. I would hold on to it and wear it to death !!! Enjoy it- you found a beautiful bag!
oh...and I feel like all of my CF are a little out of alignment...so I think it is very normal- seems to be the nature of the design IMO

pinkellephant

Mar 19, 2014
I have 3 and they all look slightly crooked :-s I recently brought home a mini reissue and thought it looked straight in the store, but now that it's sitting on my shelf, it looks crooked to me! Sigh
Yours looks very minor so I wouldn't worry about it too much!

shoelahver

Jul 5, 2016
My mini has the same flaw but I’ve noticed this on almost all recent bags when people post pics. I thought it was just my eyes! Lol

Reactions: Pennypen

glendaPLEASE

The Good Witch
O.G.
Jun 15, 2010
Collegeville, PA
My medium flap has a similar slight crookedness, but it's not enough to bother me. I think a lot of flaps have it, and while yea it's a lot of money, it's not a big enough flaw to put me off getting more Chanel, because I really really really love the bags! I can't help it!!

honeybunch

O.G.
Jan 22, 2007
England, UK
Most of the flaps I’ve owned (apart from the first one I bought, which was flawless) have had a slightly crooked flap. Don’t worry about it. It’s not noticeable and will move a little depending on what you have in the bag.

Reactions: Pennypen

Pennypen

Sep 16, 2019
Thank you so much for your reply. You're completely right, they're just bags. I know I'm overreacting and keep telling myself that, since I really want to keep the bag but at the same time I can't get over this little flaw. Giving it to the end of the week before I make my final decision on whether to keep it or not. Good to know that also your flaps are a little out of alignment. I am on Instagram inspecting pictures of other peoples bags and it seems common that it's like this. Every time I see a perfect one I get my hesitations back about my own though hehe. Thanks so much again!

• Love
Reactions: alexiswesterly

Pennypen

Sep 16, 2019
I have 3 and they all look slightly crooked :-s I recently brought home a mini reissue and thought it looked straight in the store, but now that it's sitting on my shelf, it looks crooked to me! Sigh
Yours looks very minor so I wouldn't worry about it too much!
Haha, yeah it's a bit annoying - I thought I had inspected it fully in store but apparently I missed that it's not perfectly aligned. Good to know that yours are also slightly crooked, probably it's just something common with these bags that I need to get over. Thank you for your reply :smile:

Pennypen

Sep 16, 2019
My medium flap has a similar slight crookedness, but it's not enough to bother me. I think a lot of flaps have it, and while yea it's a lot of money, it's not a big enough flaw to put me off getting more Chanel, because I really really really love the bags! I can't help it!!
True! I just need to get over it. Really hope I can since it's a beautiful bag. But whenever I see someone else carry a perfect looking one I get anxious about my own again... will give it to the end of the week to make my decision. Thank you for your reply!! :smile:

Pennypen

Sep 16, 2019
Most of the flaps I’ve owned (apart from the first one I bought, which was flawless) have had a slightly crooked flap. Don’t worry about it. It’s not noticeable and will move a little depending on what you have in the bag.
Thank you for your reply! I am trying to not worry about it but I'm struggling. It's such a nice bag and it would be a shame to return it just because I can't get this tiny issue out of my head. Also a hassle to find a new one and use the credit note on time, especially seeing as most flaps seem to be slightly crooked... lol! Thanks again :smile:

Reactions: alexiswesterly