Chanel - everything is unavailable

gelabela

Mar 6, 2019
Is it me or is that everything nowadays is unavailable? I’ve also noticed the SAs are more unresponsive or if they say they will put you on a waitlist for an item but you never hear from them. I’ve learned that unless the take down your card info you’re not really on any list. I saw a YouTuber say that Chanel is trying to be like the new Hermès and limiting who they sell to. New rules (not confirmed):

- 12 handbags per customer a year
- 1 classic handbag per customer a month
- popular items only sold to VIPs

Does anyone know if this is true?

Is it me or is that everything nowadays is unavailable? I’ve also noticed the SAs are more unresponsive or if they say they will put you on a waitlist for an item but you never hear from them. I’ve learned that unless the take down your card info you’re not really on any list. I saw a YouTuber say that Chanel is trying to be like the new Hermès and limiting who they sell to. New rules (not confirmed):

- 12 handbags per customer a year
- 1 classic handbag per customer a month
- popular items only sold to VIPs

Does anyone know if this is true?
I just called the customer service number for Chanel and I thought it was quite strange the the representative said to me for security reasons they needed to verify my email, and billing information. I was like what is this all about?

I was iffy about being put on a waitlist cause I wasn’t sure if she really did put my name there. She only took my name and number but no cc info. She did give me her card so I followed up with her by texting her. In my message I wrote who I was and when I came to visit, thanked her for showing me the bags I was interested in and asked what number I’m on the list that she placed me on. She couldn’t give me an exact number but just said, “you are guaranteed one.” So I’m just here hoping that I am and waiting it out :/

I was iffy about being put on a waitlist cause I wasn’t sure if she really did put my name there. She only took my name and number but no cc info. She did give me her card so I followed up with her by texting her. In my message I wrote who I was and when I came to visit, thanked her for showing me the bags I was interested in and asked what number I’m on the list that she placed me on. She couldn’t give me an exact number but just said, “you are guaranteed one.” So I’m just here hoping that I am and waiting it out :/
They never give you a direct answer where you're at on the list. I had one sa give me this information. To me it seems like you're playing a cat and mouse game.

Reactions: Allisonfaye
Just had the same thing happen to a friend of mine.
Ridiculous - I don't understand this new "list" scam. The other day, my SA actually took my credit card info, processed and order for a cardigan she was sourcing from another store, then sent me a text 4 hours later the item wasn't available and didn't respond to my texts for 4 days! of course then she tells me "shes still working on it, and then finally after the 5th day I went to the store and she tells me ..oh she couldn't get it, it was sold out" which wasn't true.

I wonder if this is related to a similar conversation that's been going around the forum about how new items are being bought up in bulk by resellers. I am not very well versed on how this works given that it seems Chanel does have quotas for individual clients, but I figured I'd throw that out there.

Also, I think the thing I am noticing more these days is that pandemic spending is a real thing, and more and more people are spending money they'd otherwise have used on social and travel stuff on buying luxury goods (makes sense given the effect of this last year on pple's mental health) and so I am sure brands have suddenly an influx of new clients and so there is higher demand for everything.

Just my two cents.

I am supposed to get a link tomorrow to purchase an item unseen and not knowing where I'm at on the list I might not go through with the transaction. I don't like pre-paying for a product not knowing if I'm number 25 on a list for maybe three of the item. When a merchant does this to me it makes it look like they have an over abundance of sales rung up.

Just had the same thing happen to a friend of mine.
Ridiculous - I don't understand this new "list" scam. The other day, my SA actually took my credit card info, processed and order for a cardigan she was sourcing from another store, then sent me a text 4 hours later the item wasn't available and didn't respond to my texts for 4 days! of course then she tells me "shes still working on it, and then finally after the 5th day I went to the store and she tells me ..oh she couldn't get it, it was sold out" which wasn't true.
That Sa needed to ring up a sale for their numbers and it looks like the sa never made an attempt to source the item. The Sa could have sourced the item first than asked for the credit card number once the sa actually found the item.

Reactions: Laurie C
I am supposed to get a link tomorrow to purchase an item unseen and not knowing where I'm at on the list I might not go through with the transaction. I don't like pre-paying for a product not knowing if I'm number 25 on a list for maybe three of the item. When a merchant does this to me it makes it look like they have an over abundance of sales rung up.

What store is doing this? I’ve never heard of paying money unless my spot was secured and I was def getting the bag

Reactions: tramtnle
thats exactly why they do it. I can't tell you how many times a SA told my girlfriend oh yea this is available(just to get her to pay) and then I call Chanel DIRECTLY and they say, no thats totally sold out. By doing this, it makes the store look like it has a higher volume and makes the SA "look good". Many of the times they know they cant get the item yet they take your money. Other times they take your money but NEVER put the order in for you. The more I think about it the more I appreciate certain SA's that I have. There is one (Matthew) in the SOHO boutique that has always delivered on everything he has promised, and was honest when he knew he couldn't get something.

What store is doing this? I’ve never heard of paying money unless my spot was secured and I was def getting the bag
The boutique request your credit card number. I saw how many people that was above me on a list. I just told the Sa never mind. Go into the LV threads and there's plenty of complaints about this practice.

Reactions: BrandSnob
The boutique request your credit card number. I saw how many people that was above me on a list. I just told the Sa never mind. Go into the LV threads and there's plenty of complaints about this practice.

oh true, I have heard of LV charging ppl and then canceling their preorder. I haven’t heard of Chanel charging tho but Saks just started taking 50% deposits. I thought it meant ur bag was secured. For 21s I gave my card info to a boutique but I was like number 2 on the waitlist and they said I’m definitely getting it. They don’t charge until it comes tho