Chanel Deauville Tote as a Diaper Bag?

KelseyH2O

Mar 12, 2016
(Sorry, post ended up being longer than I thought, but your feedback much appreciated! ^_^)

Hello lovelies! I was wondering for those of you who may have some input, do you think the Chanel Deauville Tote (the new version, with both the top handles and chain strap) will be a good diaper bag option, in terms of functionality (and other points, listed below)? I want a bag that can act as a regular bag, too, should the occasion call for it -- and basically doesn't scream diaper bag (such as the Prada nylon diaper bags). But of course, I don't want to cut back on functionality, either, just so I can have an excuse to lug around a Chanel, lol ^_^. FYI, I do plan to get an internal organizer that fits the bag, so that there are more compartments. The main points I am concerned about are:

1) The bag's tendency to get dirty when acting as a diaper bag. I plan to get a darker color, but still, the uncoated canvas does make me wary to stuff bottles, wipes, and other such baby things into such a bag. I wonder if there is some effective spray protectant for uncoated canvas?

2) Its giant open insides. Not sure if this would be a deterrent against a diaper bag, since I would want easy access, but then again, I don't want the bag to just flop wide open whenever I set it down (like, say, the LV Neverfull MM).

3) The weight of the bag. I'm normally a minimal packer when it comes to bags, but I'm not sure just how heavy a normally filled diaper bag (for one kid) can get? I do expect quite heavy at times, so I'm not sure how unpleasant the Chanel chain straps would become with a heavier load, but since it is a tote and expected to be filled.. perhaps this is not an issue? (I don't have much experience carrying my chain Chanel bags beyond the minimal amount I usually carry, i.e. wallet, some makeup, etc.)

4) Pretentious or nah, lol :-/ ? This last point is just my going back and forth with myself. Lol, I'm not too sure how -- snobby? pretentious? something else? -- it'll come across to use a Chanel as a diaper bag, especially one that is so in-your-face with the logos as the Deauville? Granted, I do want to have a bag that doesn't scream diaper bag and that I can use later down the road, buttt what do you guys think -- kinda pretentious or not? Please, be brutally honest. I know, in the end, the important thing is how I feel carrying it, but I would appreciate others' input, as well.

Anyway, thanks guys!! Sorry for the long post, but appreciate your taking the time to read it and any feedback ^_^

Reactions: Namwan-
I do not have experience with this particular bag but did look it up. I use a LV totally MM as my diaper bag-it's light and can carry alot. I've used it for a little over a year and it looks brand new. The Deauville won't look as nice after everyday use just based on the material it is. I've never put bottles in mine and make my older kid carry her stuff (she has a fjallraven backpack).

What's in my diaper bag (2-3 diapers, wipes container, (used to carry a changing pad but only used it 1-2 times), a onesie for change of clothes (stopped carry this after 8months-no major poops like in early months), added a sealed bag of snacks after about 8 months old). I also carry a long wallet, iphone plus, keys, pen, lip balm, small bottled hand sanitizer (pump bottle with lid-not the ones that pours out). I can actually put more in it too. I sometimes put a sippy cup-I hang it from pocket to pocket.

Another reason I wouldn't like the tote you mentioned personally is that it doesn't stay easily upright on its on which makes digging through it to find something a nightmare. It might be okay with a organiser but you could get a coated canvas bag that is more rigid.

I'm a minimal packer too and you'll find out what you actually need really quickly. I see lots of people with those HUGE diaper bags but can't imagine they use any of it. Some people are "just in case" people. I'm not-if I don't use it for a month or less it's not going to be in my bag anymore. You could also carry any bag you want and then a small kids backpack-like a mini fjallraven-just for your kid that they can use when they are older.

Not sure if this actually helps...goodluck with whatever you decide.

Reactions: KelseyH2O
I do not have experience with this particular bag but did look it up. I use a LV totally MM as my diaper bag-it's light and can carry alot. I've used it for a little over a year and it looks brand new. The Deauville won't look as nice after everyday use just based on the material it is. I've never put bottles in mine and make my older kid carry her stuff (she has a fjallraven backpack).

What's in my diaper bag (2-3 diapers, wipes container, (used to carry a changing pad but only used it 1-2 times), a onesie for change of clothes (stopped carry this after 8months-no major poops like in early months), added a sealed bag of snacks after about 8 months old). I also carry a long wallet, iphone plus, keys, pen, lip balm, small bottled hand sanitizer (pump bottle with lid-not the ones that pours out). I can actually put more in it too. I sometimes put a sippy cup-I hang it from pocket to pocket.

Another reason I wouldn't like the tote you mentioned personally is that it doesn't stay easily upright on its on which makes digging through it to find something a nightmare. It might be okay with a organiser but you could get a coated canvas bag that is more rigid.

I'm a minimal packer too and you'll find out what you actually need really quickly. I see lots of people with those HUGE diaper bags but can't imagine they use any of it. Some people are "just in case" people. I'm not-if I don't use it for a month or less it's not going to be in my bag anymore. You could also carry any bag you want and then a small kids backpack-like a mini fjallraven-just for your kid that they can use when they are older.

Not sure if this actually helps...goodluck with whatever you decide.

Hi! Thanks so much for the thorough input. I think you're right about the bag's material, which has been my biggest hesitation so far. I was considering the LV Totally, especially with its two outside pockets. However, my only concern was that it doesn't have a shoulder strap. I've read from diaper bag reviews that a shoulder strap comes in extremely handy and is almost a must. But then again, the Totally handles are long themselves, so perhaps the shoulder strap becomes a moot point. Did the lack of a shoulder strap ever compromise the effectiveness of the Totally as a diaper bag for you?

Hi! Thanks so much for the thorough input. I think you're right about the bag's material, which has been my biggest hesitation so far. I was considering the LV Totally, especially with its two outside pockets. However, my only concern was that it doesn't have a shoulder strap. I've read from diaper bag reviews that a shoulder strap comes in extremely handy and is almost a must. But then again, the Totally handles are long themselves, so perhaps the shoulder strap becomes a moot point. Did the lack of a shoulder strap ever compromise the effectiveness of the Totally as a diaper bag for you?
I remember reading a forum in Louis Vuitton where people did talk about the straps falling down but I never had that issue. Some people chose the speedy 25 or 30 with strap instead as their mommy bag but I'm not into the aesthetic of that bag. I wanted a tote I could just use even after I'm done toting around babies.

the shoulder straps have been fine and keeps both hands free. Or I just set the bag down for a second. Let me know what you end up deciding. I hope you find the perfect mama bag.

As a mom, i thought about getting it for diaper bag but gave up after trying it on. Here are my reasons:
1. If you use it as a diaper bag, for sure it will get dirty very easily. Plus other issues like peels, snags and color transfer. The one I tried on at the boutique already had two pulls and some rubbing mark in the corner!

2. Not a big fan of tote style diaper bag. From my experience, you will need both of your hands free sometimes.

3. Kinda heavy because of the chain.

4. Can't stand up right by itself. (Maybe an organizer will help I guess)

My suggestion is to get a LV canvas bag (whichever style you like. i use speedy b or palermo gm) then pair with a Chanel woc.
So you can throw the bag under your stroller or floor or public changing table without freaking out. And put money, phone and keys in the woc for easy and quick access. As well
as for your Chanel soul :smile:

I got a cheap baby bag that goes with my stroller for these reasons despite a friend suggesting I get a nice baby bag - strollers get parked on occasion and best I don't worry about my pricey bag going missing with essentials more just an inconvenience

I did however treat myself to a Python black with matt gold boy bag instead for me which is pretty, secure & not about to get in my way as crossbody.

I had a go with both the Large (no handle) and X-Large ( with handle) and I ended up with the Large. Although I loved the look for the XL with handle, but the size is overwhelming. I believe you may end up frustrated as it may hit into stuffs ( or even ppl) especially when u walk along small tight aisle.
And yes, it will sag a little at the base, just like the Goyard St Louis, which I used it as my ALL TIME FAVORITE diaper bag.
So, if you are really considering to buy the Deauville, go for the Large. Unless you wouldn't mind and is prepared to get it hit n banged to your surroundings.
Either, they are both so too pretty to let it go. =)

I always dreamed of having the NF, Deauville, or the chain around maxi as my diaper bag. I think the Chanel tote would be cute but the NF might be better since it's more structured.

i used an LV Neverfull MM in Damier Ebene for a diaper bag. it's so durable! i loved that it could fit everything, was super light, and flexible enough to bend and fit into smaller spaces.

No, the deauville would not be appropriate as a diaper bag. It is also intended to be a beach bag. It would not be easy to clean if something got on it because of the type of canvas. IMO I would go with something that is nylon or maybe leather. Much easier to wipe. Many designer labels other than Prada carry diaper bags e.g., Gucci. I would not recommend the Goyard St. Louis either as a diaper bag. That is also a beach bag and not intended for everyday use. Good luck!

I agree with previous posters. I have a Deauville and a Neverfull and the NF's LV canvas helps when you're moving things around, carrying to school accidentally hitting the bag on the car door, putting it under a chair at a restaurant (hate those bistro chairs for not letting the bag hang!), etc. Large bags need to be able to take a beating. Treat yourself to a Deauville if it makes you happy, but have a life-proof diaper bag so a damaged Chanel doesn't break your heart. :heart:

Reactions: natalieh38
I have the bag in red and love it, having said that, it is canvas and if anything gets on it once wiped it changes the color of the cloth. Considering that you are planning on using it as a diaper bag, I wonder if its just not practical because if you need to wipe it (even dark colors) it will leave a mark. You probably don't want to worry about the bag? I completely understand your desire to carry something stylish and practical, but since this bag is not washable or even wipable it may not be the right one. As for the snobbish part, meh. You use whatever you want if it makes you happy and smile. Life is too short to worry about what others think or say about it.