Chanel Coco & Igor Stravinsky-the Film by Jan Kounen! Who has seen it?!

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. #1 Oct 4, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
    I pre-ordered this Chanel movie off of Itunes (well I think it's relatively new (summer 2009), considering I had to pre-order it and wait for it) called Chanel Coco & Igor Stravinsky and finally got a chance to watch it! For those who have seen it, what did you think??! ;)

2. I have seen it. It is very artistic! I am sure you will love it!

3. i have not seen this yet but i want to!

4. same here, I have not seen it but I want to now.

Thanks for letting us know, OP!

5. Red Box had it last week when I rented Prince of Persia :P. But I wasn't too tempted to watch it... not sure why. Can someone please convince me otherwise?

6. We just got it and I liked it! I am a Chanel lover AND a flutist, so ofcourse this movie caught my attention! I mean, Rite of Spring AND Chanel clothes??? It was an art overload for me hahahaha I did not even know they had relations till I saw the movie came out. I already thought Rite of Spring was semi disturbing, so I wish it was played a little less in the movie even though that is the piece that had so much frenzy and Chanel liked it. (or maybe she was REALLY a people collector)

I dunno about anyone else here, but I felt a little dark after watching.. maybe die to the Rite of Spring and the mood set in the movie. Even alot of the scenes were dimly lit. I also DID find it funny that Chanel could play (even if with one hand) in the key with Stravinsky. A newbie would play all over the place on the piano more than likely. I am just being picky there though! Can't blame a musician ;)

In all, I liked the movie. It was very interesting for sure! Maybe Chanel should have caught him in his Firebird days.... he might have been less moody hahahaha

7. Seen it, but I was not very fond of this movie. I like Coco Avant(Before) Chanel much more.

8. I saw this on my birthday last month and while visually it was stunning, I was still disappointed. It was extremely mechanical to me, and while I won't give away any of the details I really felt it could have been much better. I agree that although it tells a different chapter of Mlle. Chanel's life, Coco Avant Chanel is much better.

9. I haven't seen the movie but I read the book - the book was very depressing. How was the movie?

10. #10 Oct 7, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
    I agree, I did enjoy Coco Avant Chanel much more! PriscillaW this movie was definitely more somber for me as well...I also think that they didn't finish off the movie very well either...almost as if the director/writer gave up in the end? At times, I felt like the movie was just about to take off, only to find myself a little disappointed when things felt unfulfilled. You are right in saying that the movie was like "art overload." What draws me to any Chanel film, novel, documentary is this insatiable desire for all things sensory overload about Coco's life! For those who may not know, there is also another movie which I liked called "Coco Chanel" starring Shirley Mclaine. I believe it was a Lifetime Movie. I enjoyed that one as well! :smile:

11. I agree, I liked seeing The Rite of Spring on the stage in the beginning, but they overplayed the piece like Stravinsky was obsessed with it. He did rewrite parts of alot of his music, but they took it a little overboard. I would have loved to have seen more of Chanel's work as well. After all, music is art, art is art, dancing is art, fashion is art.

12. Yes, and if you remember in Coco Avant Chanel, they discretely referenced a lot of Chanel's inspirations (monastery-bijoux chains, Deauville-jersey/piping, etc). I wish they had done more of that in this movie as well. I guess maybe it wasn't so because this movie is of her life essentially after she had "arrived." Her life as the mademoiselle is no doubt intriguing, but I really really enjoying learning about her vision.