Chanel Classic M/L Flap in Chevron - Caviar or Lambskin? SHW or LGHW?

Chanel Classic M/L Flap in Chevron - Caviar or Lambskin? SHW or LGHW?

• Total voters

geekywifey

Nov 23, 2011
a>
Dear all,

I have mostly been a silent participant in this forum but am now stuck in a dilemma and would be really
grateful for your help!

I recently chanced upon a black chevron classic m/l flap in lambskin with lghw in the boutique and have not been able to get the bag out of my mind. I have been thinking whether to purchase it, especially since I chanced upon it (the same bag in caviar/lambskin with shw) a couple of years ago without buying and have been beating myself up on not taking the plunge. I find black chevron classic m/l flap to be a rare find these days, or am I the only one feeling this way?

I am a fan of the chevron pattern and have always wanted a black chevron classic m/l flap, there are two things that are stopping me at the moment
1) I am most concerned about the wear and tear on lambskin, the creases and if the leather will lose it puffiness very soon
2) Should I stick with the shw? Generally not a fan of ghw but the lghw seems like a good alternative/ in-between option of shw and ghw.

Just as a background, my humble chanel collection currently consists of the following
1) blue-grey classic m/l flap in caviar with shw,
2) dark brown chevron old medium boy in calfskin with shiny ruthenium hardware
3) black chevron reissue size 226 in aged ghw (but I'm looking to sell as this is rarely used)

Your advices will be most appreciated, thank you!!!

Last edited:
I think it looks better with silver hardware or So Black in the chevron. Not sure if it’s the lighting but I’m not loving it with light gold.

Thank you for your honest opinion! Here's another photo, does it look any different to you? The earlier photo was taken by the SA while this photo was taken by hubby at a different angle. Also, do you have any experiences with chevron lambskin? Should I be concerned about the creases and the bag losing its puffiness?

Attachments

• 7b86d941-3de6-4863-af08-95732b7c5d17.JPG
    7b86d941-3de6-4863-af08-95732b7c5d17.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 631
As much as I love the luxurious look of lambskin, I prefer caviar for its durability and how it wears over time. I also think LGHW is a beautiful choice since it's an in-between choice (it's like getting best of both worlds), but any hardware color will be great since the bag itself is beautiful.

Do you see yourself babying the bag and being extra careful when it comes to taking care of the bag? If you are worried about how lambskin wears in general and it's already a thought in your mind, maybe caviar will be the better option for you. Whichever works for your lifestyle best! Good luck with your choice :heart:

Reactions: geekywifey
Thank you for your honest opinion! Here's another photo, does it look any different to you? The earlier photo was taken by the SA while this photo was taken by hubby at a different angle. Also, do you have any experiences with chevron lambskin? Should I be concerned about the creases and the bag losing its puffiness?

My personal opinion is that you simply cannot go wrong with Chanel. Classic bags like this are all amazing no matter the hardware colour, the leather etc. I actually think it looks quite unique as I don’t think I’ve seen this combo before. I’m sorry but I’ve never owned chevron before (except for a WOC years ago but I think it was metallic calf skin). As far as lambskin goes I have a lamb wallet. It’s shoved in small bags alongside my keys and it still looks great. Yes, you get scratches but over time they blend in with each other. You do get corner wear quite fast on lambskin. I’ve got a Trendy in lamb and I’ve owned three classics in lamb previously. I never had issue with the puffiness. I would have thought the chevron design would be less prone to scratches but it’s better to wait for the opinion of someone who owns one.

I meant to say that my Trendy has light gold hardware and I love it as it’s in between gold and silver.

I don’t own lambskin yet so I can’t comment on wear, but I think the chevron is stunning in the lambskin and I really do like the light gold hw. I like this back in so black too but the lghw gives the bag a more classic vibe. It’s hard to know which back to choose (I’ve got my own dilemma in another thread) but you can’t go wrong with this bag!

As much as I love the luxurious look of lambskin, I prefer caviar for its durability and how it wears over time. I also think LGHW is a beautiful choice since it's an in-between choice (it's like getting best of both worlds), but any hardware color will be great since the bag itself is beautiful.

Do you see yourself babying the bag and being extra careful when it comes to taking care of the bag? If you are worried about how lambskin wears in general and it's already a thought in your mind, maybe caviar will be the better option for you. Whichever works for your lifestyle best! Good luck with your choice :heart:

Thanks for your advice! I find myself behaving differently with different bags, I don't usually baby most of my bags but neither do I treat them roughly. With the exception of all my chanel and celine box bags, I do baby them quite a bit.

I share your sentiments on caviar's durability and how it wears over time, this is exactly what my mind thinks, while my heart is attracted to the luxurious smooth look of the lambskin and maybe, also the thought that I may never get my hands on another black chevron classic flap. :-s

My personal opinion is that you simply cannot go wrong with Chanel. Classic bags like this are all amazing no matter the hardware colour, the leather etc. I actually think it looks quite unique as I don’t think I’ve seen this combo before. I’m sorry but I’ve never owned chevron before (except for a WOC years ago but I think it was metallic calf skin). As far as lambskin goes I have a lamb wallet. It’s shoved in small bags alongside my keys and it still looks great. Yes, you get scratches but over time they blend in with each other. You do get corner wear quite fast on lambskin. I’ve got a Trendy in lamb and I’ve owned three classics in lamb previously. I never had issue with the puffiness. I would have thought the chevron design would be less prone to scratches but it’s better to wait for the opinion of someone who owns one.

I meant to say that my Trendy has light gold hardware and I love it as it’s in between gold and silver.

So glad to hear that your experience with lambskin has been positive, the light gold hardware really is a good in-between and it is definitely growing on me!

I don’t own lambskin yet so I can’t comment on wear, but I think the chevron is stunning in the lambskin and I really do like the light gold hw. I like this back in so black too but the lghw gives the bag a more classic vibe. It’s hard to know which back to choose (I’ve got my own dilemma in another thread) but you can’t go wrong with this bag!

Thank you! I find the chevron quilt makes the bag more special in its own way and yet still gives the classic vibe I'm after. Good luck with your choice as well!

BEAUTIFUL!!!!

yes it is rare and a nice find but what matters is you can’t get it out of your head. Only thing is whether you’re a silver or gold hardware girl- based on your collection you’re cool with both. I think the lghw is beautiful

Thanks for the encouragement! It makes me feel so good to receive all these positive comments and assurances on lghw. I typically prefer silver hardware for daily wear while gold hardware is great for occasions and was therefore more concerned on the wearability of lghw with casual dressing.

This is the black chevron classic m/l flap in lambskin with lghw from the boutique.
This bag is beautiful! If you keep thinking about it then you should get it. You already said you beat yourself up about passing on a bag before (I totally relate to that--it has happened to me too--probably to most people on this site)--so don't let it happen again. As for the lambskin-it looks incredibly rich and luxe in this bag. My experience is lambskin is a lot more durable and forgiving that people think. Also, if needed, it's something that can be repaired much easier- and better- than caviar. Since this bag is new at the boutique I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Reactions: geekywifey
Dear all,

I wanted to update that I am no longer in dilemma. After calling a couple of boutiques from different countries without any luck, Hubby scored this one and only piece (in caviar with lghw) while transiting in narita airport yesterday! Though caviar doesn't look and feel as luxurious as the lambskin, I truly feel that this piece will go a long way with me :loveeyes:

I am so grateful for all of your encouragement and advices, THANK YOU!! :heart:

Attachments

• IMG_4179.jpg
    IMG_4179.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 524