Chanel Classic Flap - Small vs Medium vs Large sizes

Some thoughts. For reference I’m 5’6” Size 28-29, 6-8, true Medium in clothes as I think this makes a difference in what bag works best.

M/L classic flap: Beautiful, doesn’t fit a lot as the caviar leather is stiff for durability, the chain is lighter and much shorter. I’d only wear this when going to dinner or going out. I don’t consider this an every day bag. It drove me crazy how much I couldn’t fit in it and I don’t particularly carry a lot (my day to day bags are the LV Pochette Métis and the YSL sac de jour in the baby size). That said, I need a flap for those particular occasions so it’s on my radar to buy again. I sold a previously preloved one that I tried to use as an every day bag.

Jumbo: Perfect every day size. Fits everything you need. The chain is thicker which I think is easier for day to day throwing it over your shoulder but I also think the chain is more stunning on this bag. Can’t wear crossbody as the chain is too long. I’d wear this bag to dinner albeit it being on the bigger size. If I was rolling up to a club then yes the bag would seem massive and would smack people as I walked through bottle service but TBH I’m 34 and those days are far behind me. I use my Mini Bottega pouch when I need a true night out style that’s small and easy to carry.

Hope this helps! I just ordered a Medium Business Affinity to be an every day bag as I love the top handle feature and it reminds me of a fancier Pochette Métis. So the m/l classic flap is on my radar next but not as an everyday bag as I now have plenty of those.

Small! I'm 5'1 and 125lbs. I was able to try on both the small and the medium. I bought the small as it is the perfect size for my frame. When I try on the medium, I look like a kid stealing off a purse of my mom (even when I'm in my mid-30s LOL!)

Another thing is the medium looks "busier" since the size of the diamonds is the same in both the small and medium, meaning there are more diamonds on the bag for medium. Not sure if you understand what I'm trying to say here... But if find a side by side photo of small vs medium you'll see what I meant. My personal style is minimalist so bags with busy design tend not to look good on me. This may be something for you to consider.

In terms of the capacity to hold items inside, of course small is going to be smaller than the medium, but it fits all the essentials (wallet/card case, phone, lipstick, keys, mirror etc.).

My ideal chanel minimalistic collection would be 3 bags:

1) Mini crossbody (cheaper than a small)
2) Medium shoulder bag
3) Jumbo shoulder bag (single flap)

So i would suggest you getting a medium and a mini. Because the capacity difference between small and mini is almost the same, you wouldn't want to double up, unless you have the budget for it.
I feel the same as you! Just wondering though, given a choice to pick one only would you go with the mini rec or square? I thought I wanted a rec since it would fit more but when I tried on the square I felt it was worth adding as it has a more different look to the medium.

I feel the same as you! Just wondering though, given a choice to pick one only would you go with the mini rec or square? I thought I wanted a rec since it would fit more but when I tried on the square I felt it was worth adding as it has a more different look to the medium.
I'd pick a rec. You can use it from day to night, more versatile imo.
The square is cute but looks weird as a night bag. Only crossbody wear, you cannot hold it as a clutch.

I'd pick a rec. You can use it from day to night, more versatile imo.
The square is cute but looks weird as a night bag. Only crossbody wear, you cannot hold it as a clutch.
Good point... I did consider the mini reissue for more ways of wearing the bag initially. But I don't mind it anw as I prefer crossbody :smile: I tried the quilted square and didn't like how it looked on me but the chevron square was perfect! Haven't had any luck with mini rectangles at all. There is always no stock and never in the colour I want :sad:

I am 5’2” size 0. The med/L is very small in my opinion. I agree that if you want something smaller, go with a mini. The capacity of the med/L is the smallest I can use. I can pare down to a mini if absolutely necessary for a special occasion.
The med/L holds my phone, keys, compact wallet or card holder, mirror, and small pouch. My phone would normally be in the front pocket.image.jpg35AA2ED7-38B5-4784-9DE7-BDE399FECF48.jpeg

I do have 2 vintage mini squares in lambskin. I do love them because of the price I paid and the gold hardware.

If I had to pick, I would go for the rectangular mini in lambskin from the boutique as you can fit more stuff. The modern square mini is smaller than the vintage mini, so in terms of capacity it’s limited.

So for me it’s 1) mini (rectangular or vintage square) 2) M/L in caviar 3) jumbo SF in caviar.

I'm partial to the small. My other bags are a 227 reissue and the 19 bag, so I have larger flaps if I need to carry more. The small is a wonderful cross body size. I had my chain lengthened to create this option (I don't plan to sell). I'm 5'4" petite frame for reference.
May I know where did you make the chain lengthened please? =)

Hi everyone,
I've been wanting a classic flap for the longest, and had ruled out the mini because I wanted a caviar leather bag. Last year when I made this decision, I decided I wanted to go with the small, because at prices like 5800 and 6500, I didn't want to pay the extra 700 for not even an inch in each direction. Now the prices are even more but the small did increase more than the medium - still a huge difference but not $100 less so.

My question would be, knowing the following about me, which size would you go for? (and why?)

5'4 height
size 2
this would be a consciously decided on weekend bag aka shopping during the day and food outings/often carrying only keys, card case, phone, and sanitizer (no make up no sunglasses)

-does the medium have a longer drop and if so, is it easier to tuck under the arm as a double strap?
-is the medium so much more popular than the small?
-is liking the more rectangular body of the worth the cost of the medium?
-is small best investment for someone who doesn't need to carry much but still wants caviar?
-if i only ever get one flap should it be the classic most of the classic (medium)?
-is the small too small for my frame?
-is small just fine for a person my height and size, and put the other $600 to something else - and I mean anything else, like the rolex i want or even into an etf LOL?

Both are great options, but I promise you, there’s no way you would buy just “one Chanel flap”. Chanel addiction is a slippery downhill slope. :lol:

Small caviar flap is very difficult to get more so than the medium flap. If you see heyyyjune on YouTube, she prefers the small and she’s about the same frame as you.

Personally I feel the extra $700 for a size up is worth it. It’s not so much about the size but how much you need to put in the bag.

There’s a reason why the medium/large is the most popular size. It fits more than the small/mini. I don’t think $700 saved will make much of a difference to your Rolex budget. Many people either choose to have a mini or small, since the capacity is the same.

Personally, my first Chanel was a series 26 medium/large caviar ghw. It’s a staple and I have no regrets buying that size. It’s proportionate to most body frames as well. Good luck in your choice! Go try it out in store.

I am 5”1, very petite frame in general. I love the small on me. Medium isn’t TOO big but the small flatters me more. I also only carry a few things in my bag and never have had an issue where they don’t fit. (I actually have the same exact bag you may get! Never wish I sized up.) I just got my first mini actually and that’s a great size for more petite frames and if you don’t carry much. (They don’t use caviar anymore though :/)

Also, wondermuffin isn’t joking. Once you buy one Chanel bag you buy 5. Don’t say you weren’t warned. I got a WOC as my first Chanel, few months later boy bag.... few months later boy bag and a classic flap. All in the same year (2018 lawl)

I think if you like the more rectangular shape, you should go for the medium! Personally I like the small flap better but I prefer the more squarish shape, I don’t like carrying a lot, and I’m 5ft so it looks a little more flattering on me than the medium.

I’m sure both would look nice on you, and if you really want to just get one classic flap, I think the medium is more classic and more versatile, and looks slightly better with the chain doubled up compared to the small. At the end of the day, get the one that really makes you happy. If you decide you like the look of the medium better, then it’s worth choosing over the small. Despite the price difference, it’s not really a savings if you’re compromising. Don’t settle for anything less than your perfect combination or you’ll still be thinking about it down the line!

Also, everyone is right about the “just one.” I bought my first bag in 2019 thinking it’ll satisfy my dream of owning a chanel, but now I want 5