Chanel Classic Flap - Small vs Medium vs Large sizes

I have 2 jumbos and one M/L (2 of the 3 are shown in a pic above in a previous post). I just saw a medium black lambskin flap that I swore I would buy if I ever ran across. I may have to get it, but I know I’m not going to use it that frequently. Somebody please try to stop me lol.

Last edited:
I bought the much sought after M/L in black cavier and silver hardware but exchanged to the jumbo size in the same commbo as I intend to use this bag as a daytime bag, hope I will not regret due to the weight!
I have it in jumbo version, and I don't have any particular problem with the weight, I prefer it, we can put more things in it, because in the classic medium only my wallet would fit.

Large is more versatile for evening (jumbo is too big for evening for sure) Which size would depend on how much you need for everyday. Have you been to the boutique to try? That may help with your decision.

Hi all, I recently purchased a pre-loved black caviar mini with gold hardware and love love love her.

BUT I want to be able to fit a little more; specifically, I’d like to carry my very slim card case, small set of keys, iPhone, and (here’s the kicker) Chanel butterfly sunglasses. I’ve watched so many YouTube videos and have done so much investigating online but I’m still stumped!

Also, I’m 5’2” 115 and while I would possibly consider a medium sized caviar flap, I’m afraid it will be bigger and flashier than I want. I’m a pretty understated girl, and though this bag will definitely stand out - I mean, it’s Chanel, I really don’t want it to overwhelm my frame.

I would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions! Did you invest in a small or a M/L and regret it? Or do you use it all the time? This is a huge purchase for me, and I want to be 100% sure.

Thank you so much for all of your help! Can’t wait to hear what you say! xoxoxo

The small is almost identical in size to the mini b/c of the double flap. It eats up your space. It can maybe hold a few more items - like small stuff, lipsticks, small bottle of something, etc. but the space is just as limited as the mini. You'll be fine with a M/L on your frame. It's the ideal size for most women and why the small isn't a big seller through the years. It's rare because it's not as practical and is only exciting right now because it came in iridescent. Just my 2 cents. I did own a small caviar and although I'm very minimal it was way too small. I actually felt my mini was bigger because it was an open compartment. I love the M/L and would suggest that. Good luck.

The small is almost identical in size to the mini b/c of the double flap. It eats up your space. It can maybe hold a few more items - like small stuff, lipsticks, small bottle of something, etc. but the space is just as limited as the mini. You'll be fine with a M/L on your frame. It's the ideal size for most women and why the small isn't a big seller through the years. It's rare because it's not as practical and is only exciting right now because it came in iridescent. Just my 2 cents. I did own a small caviar and although I'm very minimal it was way too small. I actually felt my mini was bigger because it was an open compartment. I love the M/L and would suggest that. Good luck.

Thank you so much for this! I’ve been going back and forth on the whole thing; I really want this to be the last bag I buy for a while (but really, who am I kidding?), so your input is so helpful. Thank you for taking the time!

Last edited:
I’ve also seen in several reviews comparing size that the mini does fit almost the exact same amount as the small! so I agree, I would go for the medium. With the difference in size/flap though, I do find the medium significantly heavier than the mini, and I use my minis a lot more because I prefer the convenience of the longer strap on the minis and the lightness.

I’m 5”4 and quite an average build and I’d say that the m/l doesn’t look too disproportionate on my frame, quite balanced actually. My mom is 5”2 and wears the m/l as well, so I feel that it wouldn’t be too big on you either.

I have both but can only keep one and will sell the other. They are both black caviar with gold hardware. I love them both, but I slightly prefer the small size, as it is just a tad more fun and cute to me. I find that both are equally elegant. Which one would you keep and why?

Reactions: Sunshine mama
I'm on team Small :smile: i had a M/L but i regretted & sold it because i preferred the small and it's been perfect!!

The small for me fits my frame perfectly and in my own opinion there's not much difference in the daily necessities i need to hold - just the usual tissues, lipstick, handphone, small wallet and card/key holder and both did the trick. I also liked that for my height i was sometimes able to carry the small flap crossbody which is a very cool look imo haha the medium was too short and i didnt like carrying it shoulder all the time. Finally, i do think a small looks a lot cuter than a medium but thats just me!

I think it depends how you are wearing it. If you are wearing it single strap, the small might look cuter. I haven't tried it in person so just from what I've seen online. I am 5' and I have a ML, which I can wear double strap and single strap and it fits more.