Chanel classic double flap black caviar : gold with all black interior or silver with burgundy

Chanel classic double flap black caviar gold vs silver

• Silver

Votes: 26 46.4%
  • Gold

Votes: 30 53.6%

• Total voters

Raerae0518

Oct 22, 2020
Hello
I am about to purchase a Chanel classic double flap medium black caviar and am torn between the gold and silver . I have read some reviews that the gold will tarnish which leans me a little more toward the silver. I do like that the silver feels more subtle to me at least but I also like the elegance of the gold. I want to use this purse daily vs only special occasions :smile:. I tend to wear more gold jewelry but am not too worried about my jewelry matching the chains. For people out there who have these bags and have maybe used them for some time how does the silver vs gold hardware hold up ? Thank you!

Hello
I am about to purchase a Chanel classic double flap medium black caviar and am torn between the gold and silver . I have read some reviews that the gold will tarnish which leans me a little more toward the silver. I do like that the silver feels more subtle to me at least but I also like the elegance of the gold. I want to use this purse daily vs only special occasions :smile:. I tend to wear more gold jewelry but am not too worried about my jewelry matching the chains. For people out there who have these bags and have maybe used them for some time how does the silver vs gold hardware hold up ? Thank you!
I should also mention the gold has the all black interior while the silver has the burgundy .

The black interior on the classic flaps was discontinued some time ago so you must be looking at a preloved bag. If the gold hardware is fine now after all this time then it shouldn’t have any issues. Also, someone please correct me if I’m wrong but if the bag has the black interior then it should be from around the time the gold hardware was 24k gold plated, so you really shouldn’t have any problems.

The black interior on the classic flaps was discontinued some time ago so you must be looking at a preloved bag. If the gold hardware is fine now after all this time then it shouldn’t have any issues. Also, someone please correct me if I’m wrong but if the bag has the black interior then it should be from around the time the gold hardware was 24k gold plated, so you really shouldn’t have any problems.
Hello
Yes both would be pre loved. The gold hardware ones serial number begins with a 10 so if I look online I believe that means it was from 1989-1991. The purse description doesn't have the actual year but that's what I am thinking? There's also a "w" on the Chanel lock I don't know if that indicates 24k? If there was a difference in earlier bags with the tarnishing that would be great to know!

It really is a personal preference. I’ve had my flap with gold for over 5 years and the gold is still perfect. Granted, I don’t use the bag everyday. Think about the jewelry you wear, your daily attire (when we’re not in a quarantine lockdown.) & decide from there. I’ve owned both, and realized with the silver that gold was the right choice for me.

Reactions: Raerae0518
Hello
Yes both would be pre loved. The gold hardware ones serial number begins with a 10 so if I look online I believe that means it was from 1989-1991. The purse description doesn't have the actual year but that's what I am thinking? There's also a "w" on the Chanel lock I don't know if that indicates 24k? If there was a difference in earlier bags with the tarnishing that would be great to know!
It's likely a 10 (million) series from '05/'06. And yes, the (W) hallmark means that the hardware is gold plated.

Reactions: Raerae0518
Hello
I have the two purses with me and the gold one is from 2005-2006 and the silver is 2018-2019. Both in excellent condition. Does anyone on here know if one year was better than the other in terms of quality? ? That may also help in making the decision .

It really is a personal preference. I’ve had my flap with gold for over 5 years and the gold is still perfect. Granted, I don’t use the bag everyday. Think about the jewelry you wear, your daily attire (when we’re not in a quarantine lockdown.) & decide from there. I’ve owned both, and realized with the silver that gold was the right choice for me.
Thank you good to know the gold is still in perfect shape. I wear almost all gold jewelry . I wouldn't say I dress up often tend to be more of a jeans girl so I plan to wear the purse with casual attire but also when I do dress up a little more and go out:smile:

In my mind... a classic black Chanel flap is quintessentially gold hardware :smile:. Like most of the vintage flaps are. I know you’re using it for daily use... but a Chanel bag is always so special. Gold eludes that. I’d get silver once you have a ghw bag :biggrin:.