Chanel Cerf vs. Chanel Executive -- Pros and Cons, Please!

Do you prefer the old (Cerf) or the new (Executive) Tote?

• Cerf

• Executive

Results are only viewable after voting.
I have two of the old style without the flap and I love them .... I really do not think the new version would work well for me at all as that flap would bother me

I agree :yes: And maybe it's just me, but the new version also looks a bit sturdier and stiffer to me than the old version. I haven't seen the new version IRL though, so I could be wrong.

Hi MillStream,

I bought a old style cerf with the mademoiselle closure not long ago from the Toronto Chanel boutique. I know they still have a brown one.

Hope this helps!

Hi MillStream,

I bought a old style cerf with the mademoiselle closure not long ago from the Toronto Chanel boutique. I know they still have a brown one.

Hope this helps!

Sweet of you to let me know, jngai. I'm just going to watch the Marketplace and eBay for one, and hope to find it for a bit less $$$$.

Is cerf short for something? Or is it the full name for the bag?

Good question!

I'm not sure if it's short for something but I do know that SAs call it "Cerf", too! Unlike, for example, a 2.55 bag, where we call it a "reissue" and most (at least, in my experience) SAs call it a 2.55 bag.

On liking / disliking the Cerf... I LOVE the old version. I went to Saks recently and looked at the new style and it didn't appeal to me at all! I didn't like that flap and the lining didn't have CCs on it (like the old version does). Plus, my all-time favorite Cerf is the one with MM lock and the new version only comes with CC lock.

I heard (correct me if I'm wrong) that the Cerf is made of deerskin... and the name "Cerf" is a species of deer.

I have the new version with the flap... can't honestly say I love it or not yet... because it hasn't been taken out yet. :Push:

From what I was told, when the cerf tote was first introduced it was made of deerskin (cerf = deer in french). Deerskin is a very thick, mallable leather, and customers were complaining that the bag was too heavy in the deerskin version. Chanel changed the leather in future seasons to a thinner textured calf, but the name cerf stuck.

I have the luxury bowler in deerskin and the cerf in dark brown, and there is a clear difference in the leather, so I have to believe the s/a who shared this info.