Chanel boy red vs black vs red jumbo

expatwife

Mar 4, 2012
Hello,
I am trying to make a decision - I'd like to buy something (I have that itch again), and I'm wondering if I should go with black quilted boy with gold hardware, red quilted boy with gold hardware or wait for jumbo in red caviar?

Currently I have
1. Black Caviar jumbo with gold hardware
2. Blue roi patent jumbo with ruthenium hardware
3. GST in black caviar with gold hardware.

I think I like black boy a bit more than red (judging from the pictures, haven't seen neither in real life). And I like red jumbo or m/l.

I was wondering if any of you ladies have seen both boys and what you think? I love the boy bags, but I just can't put my hands on the perfect one, if you know what I mean.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

bluekit

CC x DY
O.G.
Jan 16, 2006
US
That's a tough decision! I think it comes down to whether you "need" an everyday bag and whether this will be a occasional bag. For me, a jumbo is more practical for every day because it can store my basic essentials. While the Boy is gorgeous, it is not the most user-friendly bag compared to the flaps (I have both). If you do not open/close your bags multiple times per day (I do), then going with the Boy will provide your current collection some variety. I like the black quilted boy more than the red.

expatwife

Mar 4, 2012
That's a tough decision! I think it comes down to whether you "need" an everyday bag and whether this will be a occasional bag. For me, a jumbo is more practical for every day because it can store my basic essentials. While the Boy is gorgeous, it is not the most user-friendly bag compared to the flaps (I have both). If you do not open/close your bags multiple times per day (I do), then going with the Boy will provide your current collection some variety. I like the black quilted boy more than the red.
Thank you for your response! I agree with you, I like the black boy more than the red, it's just I'm hesitant about getting another black bag.
On the other hand, I love red jumbo in caviar - just like how carefree it is.
I don't usually wear my Chanels for everyday (except for GST), I have two kids, so I'm trying to wear something that they won't ruin in a matter of seconds:biggrin::biggrin:.

Do you think black boy is a good evening bag? will it "replace" my jumbo or they are for different occasions? Thanks!

bluekit

CC x DY
O.G.
Jan 16, 2006
US
Thank you for your response! I agree with you, I like the black boy more than the red, it's just I'm hesitant about getting another black bag.
On the other hand, I love red jumbo in caviar - just like how carefree it is.
I don't usually wear my Chanels for everyday (except for GST), I have two kids, so I'm trying to wear something that they won't ruin in a matter of seconds:biggrin::biggrin:.

Do you think black boy is a good evening bag? will it "replace" my jumbo or they are for different occasions? Thanks!

The black medium quilted boy could serve as an evening bag, but not the large. I always see the quilted boy as a more casual looking bag but I guess it could work if you wear it single strapped! :smile:

tutushopper

❤️ Lambskin Lover ❤️
Apr 13, 2012
As to the red caviar, for 13P, the red is supposed to come only in lambskin for the jumbo classic flap, so you may be waiting a while.

expatwife

Mar 4, 2012
As to the red caviar, for 13P, the red is supposed to come only in lambskin for the jumbo classic flap, so you may be waiting a while.
I think NM is getting a red caviar in jumbo with silver hardware, but I'm not sure what kind of red it is...

expatwife

Mar 4, 2012
The black medium quilted boy could serve as an evening bag, but not the large. I always see the quilted boy as a more casual looking bag but I guess it could work if you wear it single strapped! :smile:
I think I'm almost convinced :smile:
If I only new that the red caviar that NM is supposed to get is not the one I want, then...then I am not sure what I would do loooool

Grumps12

Sep 12, 2012
Melbourne
I would choose the black quilted boy. Get the medium size, it will be very different in style and function from your jumbo. I don't think the boy style looks as good in red, JMHO. I'm loving the medium boy styles, I also think the smooth black style is lovely. I think this might be my next purchase!

expatwife

Mar 4, 2012
I would choose the black quilted boy. Get the medium size, it will be very different in style and function from your jumbo. I don't think the boy style looks as good in red, JMHO. I'm loving the medium boy styles, I also think the smooth black style is lovely. I think this might be my next purchase!
I think I agree with you. I might get the medium in black. And maybe later get a red caviar jumbo (or mini, depending what I want it for)? The current season boy is gorgeous!

Nico_79

Jan 10, 2013
Ban Island
I'd get the medium boy in black. It would work for evening or casual imo. Then wait for a red caviar jumbo to come out later.