Chanel Boy or Celine Box

Jul 10, 2015
Hi friends! I posted a thread about a month ago trying to decide between a Chanel and an LV tote bag. I decided the smaller, crossbody bags work best for me, so I was able to reserve a Boy bag that is coming out for Spring act 2. However, I got a picture from an SA today of a Celine Box bag in a beautiful taupe color and now I'm wondering if this might be a better choice than the Boy. I really like both from an aesthetic standpoint, but I have heard really good things about the craftsmanship/quality of the Celine Box, and I am a bit turned off by the interior of the Boy and the issues some people have had with the bag losing structure and looking dented. Sorry for the long post, but if anyone has any thoughts on which is more worth its price tag or better in terms of functionality, I would really appreciate it!

The two bags are:

Chanel old medium Boy in beige chevron calfskin (I think this is the herringbone chevron, but never completely sure until the bag arrives in store)

Celine Box in the grained leather (goatskin?)

Attachments

• IMG_2435.JPG
    IMG_2435.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 1,443
In this case I think I would choose the Celine over the beige chevron boy. It's a really clean, streamline design that's ageless.

I love my boy a lot (black quilted with ruthenium) but I'm not too sure about the beige chevron pattern. I know what u mean about the interior not being leather but I think the bag is so beautiful that it doesn't bother me as it normally would. It's my favorite bag!

I own a black box in goatskin and have pre-ordered a black chevron boy in old medium caviar.

Depending on how much you carry, the box doesn't have a lot of room IMO. There are various compartments but I have a tough time carrying all my needs inside (cardholder, backup charger, cell phone, and a small pouchette with my other necessities)

Since I have bought the box, I think I have used it maybe for a week.

Don't get me wrong, I love my box but for an everyday bag, it doesn't suit my needs.

So I'm going to assume the old medium will hold more than the box does.

I own a black box in goatskin and have pre-ordered a black chevron boy in old medium caviar.

Depending on how much you carry, the box doesn't have a lot of room IMO. There are various compartments but I have a tough time carrying all my needs inside (cardholder, backup charger, cell phone, and a small pouchette with my other necessities)

Since I have bought the box, I think I have used it maybe for a week.

Don't get me wrong, I love my box but for an everyday bag, it doesn't suit my needs.

So I'm going to assume the old medium will hold more than the box does.

I don't carry a lot, so I'm not too concerned about size, but thanks for letting me know! The Boy can fit a good bit if you pack it, but I would think it's hard to organize lots of things since it's just one compartment.

In this case I think I would choose the Celine over the beige chevron boy. It's a really clean, streamline design that's ageless.

I love my boy a lot (black quilted with ruthenium) but I'm not too sure about the beige chevron pattern. I know what u mean about the interior not being leather but I think the bag is so beautiful that it doesn't bother me as it normally would. It's my favorite bag!

I have a black Reissue, so I was hoping to get a lighter neutral for variety. The Boy bag is stunning in black! Is yours lambskin? Have you had any issues with denting or folding from wearing the Boy crossbody? Thanks for your reply :smile:

I have a black Reissue, so I was hoping to get a lighter neutral for variety. The Boy bag is stunning in black! Is yours lambskin? Have you had any issues with denting or folding from wearing the Boy crossbody? Thanks for your reply :smile:

Oh I see! Variety is always good [emoji4]
Yes mines is in lamb skin! I've only had it for a short time... Maybe a month and a half. The lamb skin feels much more durable than what I've felt on the classic flaps so I was surprised. I had a new medium calf boy before this and I never had denting issues and I carried that one quite a bit. I think the denting comes from really shoving heavy items in the bag and misuse to be honest. I ended up giving the new medium to my mom and buying the old medium to have a little more variety size wise within my bag collection. The lamb skin black is much more saturated color wise and really beautiful against a more edgier style!

I don't carry a lot, so I'm not too concerned about size, but thanks for letting me know! The Boy can fit a good bit if you pack it, but I would think it's hard to organize lots of things since it's just one compartment.

I have two Celine box bags and two Chanel old medium boys. I find the box bag clasp on the handles are a bit annoying. They are small metal boxes with v sharp edges and dig into my shoulder but I deal with it. Others have said the same. Many pull the strap around so the clasps are close to the bag and away from your shoulder. Also the strap claps do pop open sometimes which is REALLY annoying. I had the clasps changed by Celine but it still happens. You may not have this issue but it something to be aware of. Capacity wise I feel both brands are similar although I too don't carry much like you so that won't be an issue.

I find the boy fine for organizing things inside since it's not a huge bag and being one compartment I instantly see what I want. The side pocket is all I need for thin items like a metro card.

Good luck with the decision. The box is still one of my all time fave bags. Nothing is as sleek.

I have two Celine box bags and two Chanel old medium boys. I find the box bag clasp on the handles are a bit annoying. They are small metal boxes with v sharp edges and dig into my shoulder but I deal with it. Others have said the same. Many pull the strap around so the clasps are close to the bag and away from your shoulder. Also the strap claps do pop open sometimes which is REALLY annoying. I had the clasps changed by Celine but it still happens. You may not have this issue but it something to be aware of. Capacity wise I feel both brands are similar although I too don't carry much like you so that won't be an issue.

I find the boy fine for organizing things inside since it's not a huge bag and being one compartment I instantly see what I want. The side pocket is all I need for thin items like a metro card.

Good luck with the decision. The box is still one of my all time fave bags. Nothing is as sleek.

Thanks for letting me know, that does sound annoying. I already have one Chanel, the Reissue, so if you had to pick one to add, which would you suggest? :smile:

I also have the box and love it. I prefer the color choice to the boy bag color but I also agree that it's difficult to get in and out of the box versus the boy. I love both but vote for the box!

Thanks for letting me know, that does sound annoying. I already have one Chanel, the Reissue, so if you had to pick one to add, which would you suggest? :smile:

The Box. Its COMPLETELY different to Chanel. Its a departure from chain straps all the time too. Good point was made too above that I ADORE the colors Box bags come in. Its so much wider and better

I have both (although my boy bag is the new medium size) and love both equally! That said, if I had to choose only one I think I would pick the box, just because I am gravitating towards the minimalist look more and more these days. I also think that taupe box is a gorgeous color and would probably have more longevity than the chevron boy. Excited to hear they are bringing back the chevron boys for spring though!

Oh I see! Variety is always good [emoji4]
Yes mines is in lamb skin! I've only had it for a short time... Maybe a month and a half. The lamb skin feels much more durable than what I've felt on the classic flaps so I was surprised. I had a new medium calf boy before this and I never had denting issues and I carried that one quite a bit. I think the denting comes from really shoving heavy items in the bag and misuse to be honest. I ended up giving the new medium to my mom and buying the old medium to have a little more variety size wise within my bag collection. The lamb skin black is much more saturated color wise and really beautiful against a more edgier style!

Would you recommend the Boy in quilted lambskin over this Celine box? I was trying to go for something more casual and thought the lambskin looked more dressy, but I do agree that the colors look beautiful in lamb! I want something that isn't fussy and is versatile so that I can enjoy it on a regular basis.

The Box. Its COMPLETELY different to Chanel. Its a departure from chain straps all the time too. Good point was made too above that I ADORE the colors Box bags come in. Its so much wider and better

I love the neutral colors, they are really stunning on the Box and not boring at all. I think I like the Boy most in black, and I already have a black Chanel so I think that would be too similar. My SA also has a neutral colored python box and it is unbelievable.