Chanel boy - good investment in case it gets boring?

Unfortunately, I am not a fan of the boy bag either. All of my flaps are single flap classics and purchased more than 10+ years ago. Still love them and if I chose to sell, could probably get my money back and then some (as they are all still in pristine condition). When in doubt, always go for the classics. You usually can't go wrong. Good luck deciding!

I see what you’re saying about the classic flap bag. My younger sister (29) thinks they’re very old ladyish. I’m in my mid 30s and I wear both the boy and the classic. pros and cons of each are that the classic is just that, a classic, forever beautiful. The boy is also a classic but never will be on the same level. The boy is much edgier and I like I can wear it on shoulder or crossbody. I also like I can wear it with much more casual outfits. It very much suits me and my day to day style but sometimes I opt for my classics as well especially on the weekends when I tend to dress up more often. I do believe the boy has fallen a bit in popularity as it’s no longer the new thing but I do believe it’ll always be around as a classic style. This is always the case with new designs. So try both on and go for the one you love on you!

I would suggest trying one on and making sure the style works for you. I love the look of them and purchased one in 2016 and after carrying it twice found that it just didn’t work for me. I’m in the process now of selling and the best offer I have had is $3500 on a brand new bag that I paid $4700 so i think you would lose quite a bit if you decide to sell down the road. Have you tried a reissue? It’s not quite as formal as the classic flap.

Handbags are usually not an investment, and even if you manage to find a bag that ends up being an investment, it’s risky. It could get damaged or stolen - homeowner’s insurance won’t cover scuffs or wear, and if it’s stolen, you would have to pay your deductible. You could not really use your bag if you wanted to try and see if the value would go up. Nobody can say with certainty which bags are going to be in demand in 10 years and increase in value. Hermès is one of the few that might, but then you lose 30-50% to the reseller. And do you really want a bag that just sits in your closet, taking up space, looking at you longingly to take her out of her box? I love the Boy bag. I have 5 of them. I have 2 navy in new medium, so I am going to sell one, and I’ll probably take a loss. But I can’t be sure that it would be any different for my classic flaps.

Hi everyone,

Need some opinions on Chanel Boy. I love the classic but can't carry it off somehow.

And.. A girl is known to get bored of her bags. Wouldn't wanna let a $6000 bag rot away in my wardrobe.

If you think chanel boy isn't that worthy of being a heirloom, do let me know your pick :smile:

I am currently in the same situation as you and contemplating buying the Boy as my first Chanel due to its more casual style. I see myself investing in a Classic in my 30s but since im still currently in my 20s I wanted to take the opportunity and enjoy the edgier side of Chanel.

Can I ask which style did you buy at the end?

Thanks!

I am currently in the same situation as you and contemplating buying the Boy as my first Chanel due to its more casual style. I see myself investing in a Classic in my 30s but since im still currently in my 20s I wanted to take the opportunity and enjoy the edgier side of Chanel.

Can I ask which style did you buy at the end?

Thanks!

I bought classic medium. No regrets except for the colour/leather combi i got. Lol

In my option, I thought I loved the design of the boy. But trying it on at the boutique, I just loved looking at it. It didn’t feel special at all to me in terms of will I wear it, or let me put it on and see how I’d use it on a daily basis. I saw and tried on the new and old medium, the old medium is nicely sized, but I felt like I was lugging around a pretty box. The leathers were lambskin on the new medium and caviar on the old medium.
maybe my taste is changing, but I think the classic flaps look and feel better.
But then again, I wear my small classic flap casually with everything. I don’t really see something as casual or special occasion wears. I’d loved to have purchased a lambskin classic despite how others say it’s delicate, the touch and feel of it makes me happy lol.

In my option, I thought I loved the design of the boy. But trying it on at the boutique, I just loved looking at it. It didn’t feel special at all to me in terms of will I wear it, or let me put it on and see how I’d use it on a daily basis. I saw and tried on the new and old medium, the old medium is nicely sized, but I felt like I was lugging around a pretty box. The leathers were lambskin on the new medium and caviar on the old medium.
maybe my taste is changing, but I think the classic flaps look and feel better.
But then again, I wear my small classic flap casually with everything. I don’t really see something as casual or special occasion wears. I’d loved to have purchased a lambskin classic despite how others say it’s delicate, the touch and feel of it makes me happy lol.

I regret the lambskin classic. I'm well known to be a klutz and.. Sadly the lambskin didn't fare very well with me

I now own that, a caviar mini and chesterfield, the last 2 in dark navy and black respectively. I feel like I've completed my collection for now since the 2 other bags (caviar beige diana and chevron gabrielle) I want are rare and/or fragile.

Thinking back, I probably noticed the Boy when boxy, slightly 'fierce' looking bags were the rage. The Boy kinda feels like what a party girl would carry now. No regrets on classic flap!

I’m in my 40s and love both the boy and classic flap. It all depends on my personal style for the day, but both styles are versatile. From an investment standpoint, I only own one boy bag because I love it but do not own multiples since I don’t trust its style longevity. I would rather own multiples of the classic flap, which I did not like in my 30s but love in my 40s, and know will continue to be relevant.

I only have one blue velvet boy and because of the material its wears terribly on the corners. also the chain strap moves around all the time hard to stay in place so I had to replace it. its my least favorite Chanel bag.

I like the look of the boy bag, especially in chevron, but I used to own two and sold both. Like others have said, the chain doesn’t stay up on your shoulder and it’s a pain to get in and out of.

I regret the lambskin classic. I'm well known to be a klutz and.. Sadly the lambskin didn't fare very well with me

I now own that, a caviar mini and chesterfield, the last 2 in dark navy and black respectively. I feel like I've completed my collection for now since the 2 other bags (caviar beige diana and chevron gabrielle) I want are rare and/or fragile.

Thinking back, I probably noticed the Boy when boxy, slightly 'fierce' looking bags were the rage. The Boy kinda feels like what a party girl would carry now. No regrets on classic flap!

My first Chanel was a lambskin bag too and I also regret it. I felt like I got sucked into the whole lambskin being such a buttery, beautiful, soft and squishy material that I completely overlooked how impractical it would be.

Boys are cute but annoying to wear. I only like the look of the small boy but it doesn't hold much. The old medium is really boxy when it's on. Alsoooo my hair gets stuck in the strap when I wear it crossbody haha. I deff prefer thr classic flap or the trendy over it

My first Chanel was a lambskin bag too and I also regret it. I felt like I got sucked into the whole lambskin being such a buttery, beautiful, soft and squishy material that I completely overlooked how impractical it would be.

Was it a boy or other style bag?
Can you let me know how it wore for you? I think for me I like the whole “battle scars” kind of look. To each there own, but something about lambskin (at least in black) seems to age well as long as you’re not throwing it on gravel, but I also see the appeal of caviar to maintain a kind of “pristine” conditional look.

Was it a boy or other style bag?
Can you let me know how it wore for you? I think for me I like the whole “battle scars” kind of look. To each there own, but something about lambskin (at least in black) seems to age well as long as you’re not throwing it on gravel, but I also see the appeal of caviar to maintain a kind of “pristine” conditional look.

It wasn't a boy bag, it was the Just Mademoiselle tote. It was large, so the lambskin made it lose its structure easily. The corners also scuffed easily because of the size and the way it sat away from my body. The corner scuffing wasn't like a cool worn-in scuffed look, but it just made it looked used and not in good condition.

My mom has the boy bag in lambskin and she says it scuffs easily, especially the sharp corners.

I think a small bag in lambskin would be okay, like the square or rectangular mini, but otherwise I generally stay away from lambskin bags.