Chanel Boy: different types of gold hardware (GHW)

Elsa2006

Nov 24, 2015
Hello lovelies!
I purchased my first Boy (black caviar, GHW from NM; 17A 67086 Y33062). I am in love but I am having some buyers regret due to being so new to Boy bags, and I need your help with a few specific questions (please see attached photos).

1. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that the gold hardware on my handbag is pale compared to the matte gold hardware on some Boy bags that I have seen online (17C A67086 Y61169, for example: ).

In fact, my chain has some small parts where it's almost silver (is this normal on a new handbag?). How many different types of gold hardware are there? Online I have seen GHW being described as "antique gold" and "brushed gold", are they different?

2. The caviar leather on my classic flap is quite different from the caviar on my Boy (in terms of texture and "shininess"). The caviar on my boy almost looks rubbery, small flat grains? Does this Caviar look normal or too dull compared to what you guys usually see?

Thank you so much in advance!

IMG_7621.jpg IMG_7624.jpg IMG_7619.jpg IMG_7615.jpg IMG_7613.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7621.jpg
    IMG_7621.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 8,458
1. As far as gold hardware goes, there are 4 main types. Brushed/matte gold, shiny gold, shiny light gold, and antique gold (those are what comes to mind, but I might have forgotten some). Antique gold and brushed/matte gold are different- antique gold appears to have an antique finish and the brushed gold looks like it has a matte gold plating on top of silver. Your boy's hardware looks pretty typical for brushed/matte gold hardware- with the boy especially, it is easier to see the silver layer underneath due to the larger surface area of the chain. I had a couple of boy bags with brushed gold hardware that looked like yours, it is just the nature of the hardware, although some seem to have more coverage than others.

2. Caviar varies by season, especially on the boy caviar releases.. It looks like the new boys (17A) have very small grains with a more smooth finish and are somewhat matte- seems similar to the 17S so black boy leather from photos. The 17P caviar had smaller grains with a shiny finish, 17C had a more matte appearance to the grains, as did 16A caviar boys. The only boy caviar finishes that had a larger grain and were shiny were the 14B caviar boys with the rigid caviar. Most of the recent boy caviar leather finishes have been more matte, with the exception of the 17P boys. To answer your question, your caviar looks fine and will be different from your classic flap (only 14b boy caviar looks like classic flap caviar).

IMG_1084.JPG
17S caviar (in back) compared to 14b caviar (front)

IMG_1082.JPG
Antique gold hardware (back) versus brushed/matte gold hardware (front). You can see on the mini CC clasp with brushed gold some silver peaking thru in spots.

IMG_1080.JPG
Shiny gold hardware (back left), shiny light gold (front left), antique gold (back right), brushed/matte (front right)

Hope this helps:smile: Your boy looks gorgeous and completely normal, it is just personal preference if you like this season's caviar and like the brushed gold hardware

Thank you so much katiebal for taking the time to comprehensively answer my questions (and with photos for your gorgeous collection)!! This is only my second Chanel bag and thus I am not knowledgeable enough to know what to expect. Thank you for helping me better evaluate my Boy!

P.S. Good to know that my GHW is brushed/matte gold!

Reactions: katiebal
1. As far as gold hardware goes, there are 4 main types. Brushed/matte gold, shiny gold, shiny light gold, and antique gold (those are what comes to mind, but I might have forgotten some). Antique gold and brushed/matte gold are different- antique gold appears to have an antique finish and the brushed gold looks like it has a matte gold plating on top of silver. Your boy's hardware looks pretty typical for brushed/matte gold hardware- with the boy especially, it is easier to see the silver layer underneath due to the larger surface area of the chain. I had a couple of boy bags with brushed gold hardware that looked like yours, it is just the nature of the hardware, although some seem to have more coverage than others.

2. Caviar varies by season, especially on the boy caviar releases.. It looks like the new boys (17A) have very small grains with a more smooth finish and are somewhat matte- seems similar to the 17S so black boy leather from photos. The 17P caviar had smaller grains with a shiny finish, 17C had a more matte appearance to the grains, as did 16A caviar boys. The only boy caviar finishes that had a larger grain and were shiny were the 14B caviar boys with the rigid caviar. Most of the recent boy caviar leather finishes have been more matte, with the exception of the 17P boys. To answer your question, your caviar looks fine and will be different from your classic flap (only 14b boy caviar looks like classic flap caviar).

View attachment 3707115
17S caviar (in back) compared to 14b caviar (front)

View attachment 3707116
Antique gold hardware (back) versus brushed/matte gold hardware (front). You can see on the mini CC clasp with brushed gold some silver peaking thru in spots.
Thank you @katiebal for the great tutorial!:biggrin:
View attachment 3707118
Shiny gold hardware (back left), shiny light gold (front left), antique gold (back right), brushed/matte (front right)

Hope this helps:smile: Your boy looks gorgeous and completely normal, it is just personal preference if you like this season's caviar and like the brushed gold hardware

So the one you purchased is the same one I purchased last week. It does look different from the video because the bag in the video says grained calfskin which is the caviar but the one we bought is a grained lambskin. I asked the SA if that was the caviar she didn't say it's the caviar she just kept saying it's grained lambskin. She did however bring out a caviar or grained calfskin and I was able to feel the difference between the two. Ours is textures but differently softer and more supple than the calfskin. The caviar was rougher probably how it holds its shape so well but the one we bought is still pretty sturdy unless you think otherwise. I hope that clarifies some confusion all tho the other commenter was very informative.
Hello lovelies!
I purchased my first Boy (black caviar, GHW from NM; 17A 67086 Y33062). I am in love but I am having some buyers regret due to being so new to Boy bags, and I need your help with a few specific questions (please see attached photos).

1. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that the gold hardware on my handbag is pale compared to the matte gold hardware on some Boy bags that I have seen online (17C A67086 Y61169, for example: ).

In fact, my chain has some small parts where it's almost silver (is this normal on a new handbag?). How many different types of gold hardware are there? Online I have seen GHW being described as "antique gold" and "brushed gold", are they different?

2. The caviar leather on my classic flap is quite different from the caviar on my Boy (in terms of texture and "shininess"). The caviar on my boy almost looks rubbery, small flat grains? Does this Caviar look normal or too dull compared to what you guys usually see?

View attachment 3707053 View attachment 3707058 View attachment 3707056 View attachment 3707055 View attachment 3707054

Hello lovelies!

View attachment 3707053 View attachment 3707058 View attachment 3707056 View attachment 3707055 View attachment 3707054

So the one you purchased is the same one I purchased last week. It does look different from the video because the bag in the video says grained calfskin which is the caviar but the one we bought is a grained lambskin. I asked the SA if that was the caviar she didn't say it's the caviar she just kept saying it's grained lambskin. She did however bring out a caviar or grained calfskin and I was able to feel the difference between the two. Ours is textures but differently softer and more supple than the calfskin. The caviar was rougher probably how it holds its shape so well but the one we bought is still pretty sturdy unless you think otherwise. I hope that clarifies some confusion all tho the other commenter was very informative.

Very interesting! So I had a minor freak out since my handbag is labeled as "grained calfskin (caviar)" by Chanel SF, Hirshleifers and NM. I called my SA and she is absolutely confident that it is caviar. Still uncertain, I called Chanel CS and gave them the tag numbers. They confirmed that the specification of my purse is in fact "grained calfskin w/ pale aged GHW".

Perhaps it's worth calling Chanel CS directly to find out the specification of your handbag?

Very interesting! So I had a minor freak out since my handbag is labeled as "grained calfskin (caviar)" by Chanel SF, Hirshleifers and NM. I called my SA and she is absolutely confident that it is caviar. Still uncertain, I called Chanel CS and gave them the tag numbers. They confirmed that the specification of my purse is in fact "grained calfskin w/ pale aged GHW".

Perhaps it's worth calling Chanel CS directly to find out the specification of your handbag?

I just purchased the 17A Boy bag a few weeks back. It took me a little while to get used to the finer grain and matte texture of the caviar leather, but I think I'm fine with it as long as I know I'm not supposed to compare it to my classic flap's caviar leather. I actually don't mind the brushed gold hardware since I find it interesting to collect bags with different hardware! Hope you enjoy your bag!!

Reactions: Elsa2006
I came across this handbag online and would really love to buy it! The image shows the hardware as being quite gold, however the seller swears it's Silver and a 2014 bag. I have not come across any 2014 bags with such hardware, so was thinking it may be a bag with pale gold hardware (unsure of the year)? Can I ask if anyone recognises the bag, or is aware of any hardware that might be similar that I'm unaware of! I'm definitely trying to hold out for Pale Gold hardware :smile:. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
VC Chanel Boy Bag 1.jpg VC Chanel Boy Bag 2.jpg

I am unable to expand the photos to take a good look but perhaps the hardware is "Champagne Gold" or a shiny silver? The "Pale Gold Hardware" has a brushed/somewhat antique look, not shiny.
I think you may get a more definitive answer if you posted about about 2014 Chanel Boy Hardware or look for 2014 Chanel Boys to see the different hardware options from that year.

Reactions: jordyblogs
I am unable to expand the photos to take a good look but perhaps the hardware is "Champagne Gold" or a shiny silver? The "Pale Gold Hardware" has a brushed/somewhat antique look, not shiny.
I think you may get a more definitive answer if you posted about about 2014 Chanel Boy Hardware or look for 2014 Chanel Boys to see the different hardware options from that year.

Will do, thank you!