Chanel boutiques getting rid of waitlists

LilyLA

Nov 30, 2016
I posted this in the 21A forum but I think it applies here too.

I was notified today by my SA at standalone boutique that there will be no more waitlists reserve lists for her store going forward. This is at Costa Mesa. It just came up today. Would be good to know if this is happening at other boutiques
If anyone has any intel at other boutiques, please share. It’s unclear as to how the bags will be allocated going forward. I know department stores seem to be moving to a lottery system but I don’t understand how that works.

Also, I think this is a result of ongoing problems...aka resellers.
I have never resold a Chanel bag so it’s really sad that items I’ve been tracking for upcoming seasons won’t be reservable anymore. Sigh. #disappointmentisreal

Soooo....will we have to line up outside the store on launch day? I know some font expressed concern that on launch day for 21s some locations only had old stock out because everything had already been sold which is ridiculous.
Maybe they should do half and half. Half allowed to be waitlisted and half allotted to the store floor. Luckily I live in a location and have a job such that waiting in line on launch day wouldn’t be an issue for me lol

Some department stores do a lottery or draw. From what I’ve gathered, each SA has their own waitlist of a few ppl. They draw and whoever gets it can give a bag to the first person on their waitlist. Then a new draw and that winner gets to give to someone on their waitlist etc. each SA has their own waitlist rather than u being on the stores waitlist. So u need to be at the top of your SAs waitlist to have a chance because if everyone doing the draw has a waitlist of 5 ppl and there are 5 SAs, ur trying to get a few bags from a pool of 25. Works to have multiple department store SAs

Some department stores do a lottery or draw. From what I’ve gathered, each SA has their own waitlist of a few ppl. They draw and whoever gets it can give a bag to the first person on their waitlist. Then a new draw and that winner gets to give to someone on their waitlist etc. each SA has their own waitlist rather than u being on the stores waitlist. So u need to be at the top of your SAs waitlist to have a chance because if everyone doing the draw has a waitlist of 5 ppl and there are 5 SAs, ur trying to get a few bags from a pool of 25. Works to have multiple department store SAs
Ohh I guess that makes sense. And it would be a “fairer” way ....i wish we could just punish the resellers and not customers who purchase to enjoy.

Ohh I guess that makes sense. And it would be a “fairer” way ....i wish we could just punish the resellers and not customers who purchase to enjoy.

exactly, I wish there was a way to prove we are real customers. Like, I’ve never sold a bag. An SA can come to my house today and see every bag on my profile on display in my closet to verify me if that was an option lol

Is that why they take the credit card info? My SA asked for my card info and the season wont even release until May/June. This is making me nervous though. I know it is just a bag but this means that I am not even guaranteed a bag despite reserving months ago. I don't even know what number I am on list.

Another very likely silly question: once I am in the reserve list when do I text her again for the reminder?

Why is it so hard to capture resellers? I don't understand it. If the two bags per month rule really aplies, it shouldn't be that difficult to find out who is reselling the bags. When second hand or pre-loved became widely available i had a positve mindset on it. I thought: wow it's sustainable and a great way to find pieces that have been from long ago seasons or items you REALLY wanted and missed. But then it all started, suddenly i would see popular pieces that were brand new "hot" items and naive me was thinking: Maybe someone got it as a present and didn't like it, so they sold it immediately. Considering my thoughts now, i just feel stupid. As a luxury brand, Chanel should find a more efficient way to prevent the amount of reselling and ongoing profit.

Why is it so hard to capture resellers? I don't understand it. If the two bags per month rule really aplies, it shouldn't be that difficult to find out who is reselling the bags. When second hand or pre-loved became widely available i had a positve mindset on it. I thought: wow it's sustainable and a great way to find pieces that have been from long ago seasons or items you REALLY wanted and missed. But then it all started, suddenly i would see popular pieces that were brand new "hot" items and naive me was thinking: Maybe someone got it as a present and didn't like it, so they sold it immediately. Considering my thoughts now, i just feel stupid. As a luxury brand, Chanel should find a more efficient way to prevent the amount of reselling and ongoing profit.
I think resellers buy under multiple profiles (family members and friends). They probably also have a network of buyers who also buy bags and send to the reseller to sell.
I don’t know how they can catch them if everyone is following the purchase limit guidelines. Other than reporting serial numbers to Chanel!
The Facebook groups are made up of resellers but also individuals who will also buy to resell on their own. Really hard to tell them apart.

I posted this in the 21A forum but I think it applies here too.

I was notified today by my SA at standalone boutique that there will be no more waitlists reserve lists for her store going forward. This is at Costa Mesa. It just came up today. Would be good to know if this is happening at other boutiques
If anyone has any intel at other boutiques, please share. It’s unclear as to how the bags will be allocated going forward. I know department stores seem to be moving to a lottery system but I don’t understand how that works.

Also, I think this is a result of ongoing problems...aka resellers.
I have never resold a Chanel bag so it’s really sad that items I’ve been tracking for upcoming seasons won’t be reservable anymore. Sigh. #disappointmentisreal
Does this just apply to waitlists for bags or are they also eliminating waitlists for other items like shoes and rtw?

I’ve always reached out to the SA to find select items but in the past couple years, everything I’m looking for is gone. I assumed I was not getting on waitlists early enough. So I’m pleased to hear about no waitlist at one of two stores I visit.

Reactions: Shirleepear