Why are items on Fashionphile more expensive than retail price?

I recently purchased a Chanel bag from FP that is a bit over retail. Why? I wanted the bag NOW in the exact configuration that was available on FP and it is in new condition. I have two Chanel boutiques near me and they both repeatedly said I would be on the waiting list for years. I don't have time for all that. I thought about going to Canada to purchase since it is readily available there but the time spent traveling and dealing with Customs and Duty it was far simpler to pay a bit more to FP.

May I ask what item you purchased?

May I ask what item you purchased?

Sure. It was a WOC. Black caviar with silver hardware. Don't get me wrong I don't like to waste money but I was sick of chasing it down. When the SA essentially laughed in my face for me being silly enough to even ask about it I was done wasting time. Also, every time I went to Chanel they kept trying to push the $4800 Python WOC. Lol.

Reactions: norasmom15
Sure. It was a WOC. Black caviar with silver hardware. Don't get me wrong I don't like to waste money but I was sick of chasing it down. When the SA essentially laughed in my face for me being silly enough to even ask about it I was done wasting time. Also, every time I went to Chanel they kept trying to push the $4800 Python WOC. Lol.

I see! The WOCS are incredibly popular in the U.S. Are they not as popular (or more available) in Canada?

I see! The WOCS are incredibly popular in the U.S. Are they not as popular (or more available) in Canada?

I think they are as popular in Canada but they seem to get more stock. I called one of the Toronto Boutiques and I think they had 3 wocs in black with SHW and the SA was willing to hold one if I came that day or the next.

Totally agree. I noticed after the price increase the prices things starting to get a bit crazy. Bags are way above retail and in most cases, the condition or lack of the accessories doesn't justify the price. I use to go to Fashionphile for a deal. That was the whole appeal of the site! Nowadays I don't even bother and I have turned to Facebook groups.

I wonder if the prices will settle or if this is just the new normal for the second-hand market.

Totally agree. Fashionphile used to have great deals especially when it was tax free but nowadays it's always more expensive than retail then you have to add tax. Sometimes, they'll have great deals on some things like I bought two chanel mini o cases that I missed out on at below retail price even with tax. I dont know if they got more expensive since they partnered with NM or what

100% agree. They increased during the pandemic and have consistently gone up in pricing for all brands while the quality of their offerings have gone down. They have vintage 1 and 2 series flaps for close to 4k. I really haven't seen Yoogis or Anns or Real Real do this crazy price structure so I think it's just Fashionphile. They have gone really wild with pricing. I got an LV last week from the LV store and it was 2100 and Fashionphile has the same bag listed for 3200 used. I completely don't get it.:confused1:

Last edited:
Yeah... I bought a few things from them In the past and was so pleased with my experiences. Recently I gave them glowing reviews when a friend asked but was shocked when she pointed out to me that many of the items listed were close to, if not more than Chanel prices and visibly USED!! I was just looking at Brooches and the prices are insane.. idk that I'll keep buying from them. It doesn't make a ton of sense anymore. I'm glad to hear I'm not alone in feeling this way!