Chanel bag prices: Do your friends think u'r crazy?

I can absolutely and without a shadow of a doubt lie totally about the price of my bags, with toes and fingers crossed........thank goodness, all who know me , know enough not to ask prices.....but I would definitely lie, lie, lie if put against the wall......:idea::upsidedown::lol::angel::shame::jammin::supacool::heart:H

I live in west LA and I feel like alot of my friends carry expensive handbags so they already know how much I spend. It's not uncommon that I see nice handbags on women at starbucks and coffee bean. ;)

This is so true ... I'm in Culver City and saw a woman with a TDF sky blue Hermes ?birkin? (I don't even like Hermes but I knew what it was when I say it) in ratty sweats picking up thai take -out in a dive restaurant. WTF? :shrugs: Show the bag respect for crying out loud!

Janny, that is exactly what I say to my hubby when Im online. " Isnt there a video game you could be playing??"

I dont think my family knows how much any of my bags cost, or what brand they are for that matter. I definately pull the " I've had this forever honey" statement to my husband. I have a nice collection going, so if there's something I want I try to part with an older one to fund a new one. No matter what, if I want it....ill do anything, even sell my first born..<absolutely kidding>

My SO's first reaction was: BABY! That is a VERY expensive bag. A month later he presented me with my first bag, a black classic flap. He is the only one who knows what my Chanel bags and shoes cost. When friends ask, I tell them it was a gift, and I don't know what it cost.

This is a good topic! I used to live in No. Virginia (near DC) where people are not flashy with their cars or their clothes. I was always considered the most materialistic out of my friends, and I didn't want that reputation. At first, when I was in high school, I didn't care what people thought but after you get grilled so many times.... it gets old. So I would just deflect any questions about my bags. (Ie, "how much was that bag?" Me: "hehe, too much.") Now I live in Southern California, HUGE difference. Everyone loves to show off and look fashionable! I'm no longer the odd-one-out friend who has expensive taste, I'm quite 'normal' and I don't feel bad about being truthful about the costs of my purchases :yahoo: Now my new friends celebrate my purchases with me! My old friends (I love them to death) refer to my love for Chanel as "worse than crack" :P

I have to disagree with you about NOVA. I grew up in NOVA and people there are sooooo materialistic.... so yes, they are totally flashy with their cars and clothes!! However, if you compare it to LA, that's a different story. Nobody can outdo LA!!!
Now I am in Tampa which is sooo behind times that it drives me nuts! I crave going home to NOVA just so I can dress up more. ;)

But back to the topic, my DH definitely knows about my purse habits. When we first got married, I was working and all the money that I made went into my purse fund. Well, when I had our daughter 4 years ago, I quit working and had no purse fund. So I talked DH into giving me $1K/month for the purse fund. The only bad part is that the $1K doesn't last long because I always find some great purse that I just have to have. :sad:

I never tell my friends and family, but my DH always makes it a point to say something about it. I find it soooo infuriating. He doesn't pay for my handbag habit; I work and pay for them myself. But he always mentions to people (my friends / his friends / family) that I spent 2K on this bag, or that I'm saving 3K for a new bag.

I never tell anyone, "Oh, this is a Chanel bag, so please don't bump into me." But I have made a comment to DH after someone does bump into me... like, "people should be more careful." So now he takes it upon himself to tell friends, "Oh she's carrying a Chanel tonight, tell the waitor we need an extra seat so it doesn't get scratched." Then people look at me like I'm crazy. This kind of stuff really burns me up. I'd rather no one know. I buy bags for me, not for someone else to notice.

This will sound bad but I actually screamed at my 4 year old daughter one time when she STEPPED on my Chanel bag. Of course DH got really mad at me and the whole restaurant turned and looked at me, but SO WHAT???? Now, she knows to be careful when she is around my Chanel bags. She also tells my family and friends that they shouldn't touch my Chanels too. :P

DH and I have one account to pay for mortgage and household bills, but separate accounts for our personal items. DH knows how much I spend on bags, but when he starts getting on me about how much I spend, I politely remind him about his expensive toys (customized motorcycles). My sister totally understands my handbag addiction because she has one herself (for LV and Marc Jacobs). I won't tell my friends or other family members about the cost of my Chanels, or else I'd have an earfull!

I have to disagree with you about NOVA. I grew up in NOVA and people there are sooooo materialistic.... so yes, they are totally flashy with their cars and clothes!! However, if you compare it to LA, that's a different story. Nobody can outdo LA!!!
Now I am in Tampa which is sooo behind times that it drives me nuts! I crave going home to NOVA just so I can dress up more. ;)

But back to the topic, my DH definitely knows about my purse habits. When we first got married, I was working and all the money that I made went into my purse fund. Well, when I had our daughter 4 years ago, I quit working and had no purse fund. So I talked DH into giving me $1K/month for the purse fund. The only bad part is that the $1K doesn't last long because I always find some great purse that I just have to have. :sad:

what part of NOVA were you from? I'm from Fairfax... yes I was comparing VA to So. Cal... because when I was growing up in VA I knew of a lot of wealthy people but you could never tell because even though they could easily afford Maybachs and Bentley's, they would drive Lexus's... now So Cal is a different story... I see those cars on a daily basis :drool: And the ladies I knew wore a lot of Chanel, but they didn't make a point to show it off.. I just get a vibe that they're more into being subtle than Socal, KWIM?

My friends DO think I'm crazy, except for my brand new local tpf buddy who I obsess over bags with! It's so fun to have someone local to talk to and meet up with AND to have someone who understands this "addiction."

I started "collecting" (buying) bags only last May. I started with Coach, and then thanks to tpf moved on to Botkier, Hayden Harnett, Kooba, etc. I bought and returned about 50 bags, in the space of 3-4 months before I ended up with a collection of about 12. I was finding it hard to justify spending $300 on a bag back then! (ha ha)

One night, a friend and I walked into both Saks and NM's Chanel boutiques and fell in love. I justified my first Chanel purchase cause I'm a wedding photographer and usually don't shoot for less than $2900 per wedding! (For some of the bridezillas I've put up with, I DESERVE a Chanel!) My first Chanel I got on sale for $1,125 so I felt GOOD about it! Since November I've bought a GST (friend ended up buying it from me cause I never wore it), my LAX tote in blue (pic in avatar), a vintage Jumbo Lambskin flap and currently am thinking about the Metallic Drill...

Sometime I freak myself out, wondering WHY I am buying all these expensive bags! I work from home so I could justify it more if I went to an office job each day! That way my bags would get more use.

My DH doesn't care what I do....he said if we end up with no money, it will only be my fault! ha ha

When I first saw pics of the LAX tote, I had already bought two Chanels so he was "conditioned." When I showed him pics of the LAX tote, all he asked was: "What color are you getting it in?!" I love that man!

I've had several people tell me to my face that I am crazy to spend that much money on a handbag. I ask them how much their plasma tv's cost them and that usually shuts them up! I justify it as we have no kids, we don't drive expensive cars, we have no "summer home", etc. I'm in my 40's and have only started buying....I think I "deserve" every last one I buy!

I think I "deserve" every last one I buy!

I think you do, too. :biggrin:

Like you, I only got "into" the purse thing in the last few months, but now I am looking to add a Chanel to my small but growing collection. My parents (aka my money tree) know how much I spend on my purses now; it's something of a joke within our family ("How much? Gosh, that's a lot. Anez could buy a bag with that!") at this stage, and although I take some slagging about it, I don't believe in hiding it. My friends know, too; some don't care about this stuff and think it's crazy, and others are fashion fiends as well and have similar habits.

But really, everyone spends money on non-necessities. Holidays, nights out, cars, collectibles, gadgets, etc-- it's all the same thing at the end of the day, a "waste" of money.

So long as it makes you happy, it's worthwhile, especially if you can still pay for your necessities like food and rent and stuff.

When friends ask, I tell them it was a gift, and I don't know what it cost.

Same here, I don't tell people how much I pay for my things; I just play it off as I got it as a gift.

People that are closest to me (my parents, S.O, close friends) are all pretty much luxury buyers, so no one think I'm crazy *whew!*. Sometimes my S.O would playfully tell me that I'm crazy for blowing 2-3k on a Chanel bag. I just point to his rows of DH's and Lanvin.. that shuts him up quite nicely :lol::lol::lol: