chanel bag for a 12 year old?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel badly for the OP.

What kind of reaction did she get? This is not fair to her.

I think the judgements and name calling that took place here are FAR MORE DETRIMENTAL than any chanel bag purchase to a 12 year old.

I attended private school from kindergarten until 12th grade. In high school my last class of the day was held in a room overlooking the parking lot. There were 4 Porches, 2 Ferrari, and 2 corvettes. These VERY EXPENSIVE cars did not belong to teachers or administrators. They belonged to STUDENTS!!!

I don't question giving a teenager a car for transportation to and from school. I question whether or not it's appropriate to give a 16 yr old a sports car. There are plenty of adults who drive them and are lunatics when they do so. These adults should have a higher level of maturity when handling these types of cars, but they don't seem to display it. Most (not all) teenagers are still developing at this age. A sports car is too much too soon IMO.

I'm not trying to equate buying a designer bag with buy a car. Just illustrating how we can sometimes forget that there is a big difference between children and adults. No need to treat them as adults before they're ready.

^^That reminds me of an email I got from one of my students last winter. I'll copy and paste it here sans my name.

Dear {my name},

After the snowfall yesterday I find that I will not be able to make it to lab this morning. I have a $30,000 car and if I try to drive it up my road I am afraid I will damage it. Could I be excused from lab this morning and you could maybe do a makeup lab for me next week?

Thanks!

{Students's name}

Unfortunately I had to mark him as absent.

The fact still remains that the OP just asked advice/opions on chanel bags...NOT JUDGEMENTS.

Our backgrounds or upbringing HAVE NOTHING to do with her question.

Also, let's remember why we are all on this forum! It's to support eachother, answer questions, celebrate new purchases, share information...etc!

NOT TO JUDGE! NOT TO ATTACK! NOT TO NAME CALL! NOT TO OFFEND!

a PERSON whether 12 or 40 asked a question that is APPROPRIATE for a PURSE FORUM! I dont' know at what point ANYONE thought it was appropriate to judge/attack HER and HER PARENTS!! I MEAN COME ON!

A long time ago, I learned that people respond to a situation or other's based on how that situation or other's makes HIM/HER feel about him/herself! not really based on the actual situation. So, just because something makes someone feel uncomfortable or bad or whatever it is, IT DOES NOT MAKE IT RIGHT TO JUDGE/ATTACK/LASH OUT AT ANYONE! ESPECAILLY A 12 YEAR OLD GIRL AND HER PARENTS....THAT WE DO NOT KNOW!
I agree - some of the reactions were pretty intense. This poor girl has as much right to discuss designer bags as any of us. I personally came to tPF b/c I thought it was a great place for us to share our love of high quality bags in a supportive environment...as the tPF logo at the top of the page says: "Shallow Obsessing Strongly Encouraged."
I wouldn't get a Chanel bag for my daughters, but that's b/c: 1.) I don't have one myself yet!, and 2.) Neither of them would take good enough care of it. As a matter of fact, my older daughter (21) asked for a suede Coach bag last year for Christmas and carries it all of the time...she's learning how to take care of a good bag on that one. She also received a small pair of diamond studs on her 16th bday - my husband really wanted to get them for her as a special present - and decided herself that she wasn't yet up to the responsibility, so they have been in the jewelry box to this day. I am teaching my girls to appreciate quality, shop wisely (sales when possible, always compare pricing, know when an item is outlandishly expensive, and only buy something if you truly love it and will for a long time), and realize that they are indeed lucky to have the ability to even consider luxury items, when most people do not have that choice. If I had had a grandmother or mother who passed on a lovely Chanel bag to me at 12, I would have been deliriously happy, but had the good sense to save it for special occasions, so that it would last for my children. Perhaps a nice quality used bag for a younger person would be a better starter than a brand new Chanel.

deadhorse.gif
Swanky, you mean this??

Status
Not open for further replies.