Chanel 19 or Diana?

I_CRE8

Oct 11, 2019
I’m torn between the two and would like some input as to what would be the better buy. The 19 could be a new classic, but the Diana has really increased in price on the resale market—leading me to believe it’s becoming a sought-after bag. I’m obsessed with both, but also want to make the best investment.

These are two completely different bags, as you surely know. The Diana is more traditional and refined, and the 19 more edgy and casual. What aesthetic are you seeking? Both are gorgeous. I have a 19 but not a Diana.
Yeah, they definitely are very different styles, which is maybe why I’m so torn. My handbag collection is like my perfume collection—all over the place and dependent on my mood and what I’m wearing. So realistically, I would easily use either.

Do you like/love your 19? How do you think it will hold up over time? Also, did you go goatskin or lambskin?

The vintage Diana should be up to $2500 and the 19 is close/over $6. The better buy costs less. :smile: The 19 has no track record and wouldn't be a classic for 5-10 years. It's all hype and early adopters right now and a bag needs a lot of time to prove itself. They released a slightly newer version of the Diana a few years ago. I would avoid the older ones/vintage ones and seek out the newer Diana release. So you get the proven model with the lower price but still not as old as vintage ones.

Yeah, they definitely are very different styles, which is maybe why I’m so torn. My handbag collection is like my perfume collection—all over the place and dependent on my mood and what I’m wearing. So realistically, I would easily use either.

Do you like/love your 19? How do you think it will hold up over time? Also, did you go goatskin or lambskin?
First of all, try not to get to hung up on the "investment" angle. Buy what you love. I absolutely love the 19, and the fact that I was drawn to it was surprising to me. Mine is goatskin, and though a lot is being made of the difference between lamb and goat with this bag, I honestly don't see it. It's really a great bag, but it's not exactly understated. The Diana is beautiful. I don't think you can go wrong either way. Do you currently own any Chanel bags?

Reactions: ChanelCanuck
+1 on not getting caught up with the “investment/timeless/classic”. Buy what you love and what works for you!
Diana, to me, looks dated. I don’t have it. My mum still has hers.
I just got the 19 flap in small a few weeks ago and I was pleasantly surprised at how luxurious and spacious it is. My only gripe is the fabric interior but I could live with that.

• Love
Reactions: RT1 and eckw
I don’t own both bags but I tried them on before. As mentioned above, it’s really up to you to decide which style you want to go for. Diana’s are super elegant and can be rather delicate (considering they will be more than 20 years old now), so it’s definitely not a good idea to overstuffed it with heavy things. However, if you are able to get hold of a good condition vintage, the lambskin is very soft and supple.
Two of my friends recently got the Chanel 19 and I played with them for quite a while. I don’t like how goatskin feels as it does feel plasticky at times. (I like the lambskin ones tho) However, it’s a more casual style and lightweight. It can pack a ton too! People keep saying it’s going to be in the classic line because it’s the Karl’s last bag for Chanel. I don’t buy it though. Frankly speaking I don’t think it will look very nice after heavy use of 10 years or so because of its slouchiness. Nevertheless, it will be a bag that sparks joy for the years that you can use it.
I love both bags but I feel like getting a diana more because I just love how it feels in the hand! I also not a fan of the bulky chains on the 19. But again, this is just up to my personal preference.

Reactions: ccbaggirl89
I have a vintage Diana and have been lusting over the 19 - so I’m probably no help haha. I will say the Diana doesn’t hold a lot (mine is in the small size and is more comparable to a mini flap) whereas the 19 is more a grab and go bag and seems pretty big in terms of capacity. So it really depends on what you’ll get more use of - a smaller, more delicate but classic bag like the Diana or a bigger, more casual and more carefree/trendy bag like the 19? Both beautiful bags, either way!

I had the Diana and sold it. I loved it but I just didn’t use it enough (the gold hardware was too yellow)). I am too lusting over the 19, the Diana is timeless and classic, but you can fit more in the 19.
You also have to be careful with the Diana to not overload it with items, and with a vintage bag you tend to baby it to preserve the life. Both different and beautiful, I would look at your wardrobe and see what you can wear it with. Even though I baby my bags I’m a huge believer in using them.

I really dislike the 19, but I don't like bags with chunky chains and mixed metal. Personally I'd get the Diana but only in good condition. Some are still in immaculate condition despite being vintage.

Reactions: no5
Echoing what others have said, you can't really buy for investment because who knows what will happen with trends, economy. Buy what you love and will use! For me, the Diana is fine but not something I'm going to reach for on a regular basis. The 19 on the other hand is more carefree/grab and go. I have dark beige in lamb, and it's coated so I feel like it'll be pretty carefree but I haven't had the opportunity to use it much yet. I also have an insert in there to help it retain it's shape.

I have the Diana flap (passed to me from my mother) and it is a very nice bag, but if I were in the market for a new bag, I would go with the 19. The 19 is a more fun bag imo.