Chanel 19 (goatskin) or Chanel Gabrielle

Mousy

May 30, 2015
I think they have two somewhat different looks, but similar vibes.
If you were given one as a present, which would you choose? Please feel free to write why you made the choice you did.
67F6E850-ABBA-4440-A5AB-9EAC399EA03E.jpeg00515DD2-DF99-4434-A036-85CEBCBD3AB5.jpeg

I have both and love them both. I think the 19 is more practical with the chain handle and the back slip pocket. The 19 is a quick easy crossbody too.
Gabrielle is what I use to carry my small laptop and is beautiful with all the mixed metals. I personally love the Gabrielle in black for this reason as the chains really make a nice contrast. It’s more fiddly with the chains tangling up sometimes and the crossbody as a V is pretty but takes more time to just grab and go. When the strap is just crossbody it is too long for most people so really you have to carry as a shoulder bag or as a V. I hope this makes sense!
Good luck deciding!

Reactions: Mousy
As someone who made this decision back in fall, I’d pick Chanel 19. Although both are not the classic flap, 19 has more of the classic flap feel, therefore I thought it would have more staying power. I also think the style - shape of 19 is more versatile Can be dressed up or down, and Gabby has more of cool/casual everyday look. So boils down to what you are going to use it, what else you have in your collection. I only had a small boy and wanted something that I can fit more, can be used for variety of outfits and occasions.

I think I prefer the look of the 19 better. Also on two occasions I've held a Gabrielle in my hands at the store and both times there was just something about the quality of the leather that sort of felt flimsy. Maybe I just got a a couple of bad ones. But I've wanted to love the Gabrielle and so far it's just not happening. I really do like the 19 a lot! I'd go for that one!

I think it depends. 19 has a more classic feel to it, and personally for me with the oversized chains it makes it look more grown up I would say. Whereas Gabrielle is different, it is cooler and young and it has more of a fresh vibe, not screaming Chanel in your face.

I have a medium So Black Gabrielle hobo in chevron from last year and love it to bits and pieces.

I don’t like the top handle chain of 19, I think they are too big and bulky for the look and size of the bag. That chain style works for the Boy bag but it’s too much for 19 imo. I’m curious tho if they’d ever release a 19 in all black hardware... and maybe I’ll consider that.

Last edited:
I have a medium So Black Gabrielle hobo in chevron from last year and love it to bits and pieces.

I don’t like the top handle chain of 19, I think they are too big and bulky for the look and size of the bag. That chain style works for the Boy bag but it’s too much for 19 imo. I’m curious tho if they’d ever release a 19 in all black hardware... and maybe I’ll consider that.
An all black would be stunning. The top handle chain is the only thing I’m hesitant about on the 19. In some photos, I notice some people wear the chain to the back of the bag.

Reactions: C.Ly